The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price.

+4
Dutto
Paulmold
Campievanner
MrsGrey
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. - Page 2 Empty Re: Automatic Duetto -- hard to price.

Post by MrsGrey Thu May 31, 2012 10:11 am

All good advice -- thanks. Yes, I can see I will probably have to travel to find what i want, but the potential has to be better, the further the travel... I was going to buy an auto Duetto in London, (already a good 4 hrs to S.E. London) that was expensive but apart from rust, including an MOT advisory on the rear suspension, seemed to be in good condition. I was concerned about the gearbox and so was going to get it inspected (with owners' encouragement) but they had to pull out of the sale. So I was prepared to go to £15,500 for that (S Reg). But £18,500 is too much.
On reflection it seemed wise to consider also an older, cheaper one. If you are going to drive a rust-bucket, it might as well be cheap to start with... but it's a balance between over-paying and potential false economy.
Thanks also for trying to give the Out and About link --

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

biggrin I get Server error 500 on that too! Never mind...

Glad your persistence was rewarded -- a good role model for me! up!

Jinny

[/quote]
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. - Page 2 Empty Cautiously optimistic...

Post by MrsGrey Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Well double thanks to BulletGuy because I had another look at the place selling the 1999 auto diesel duetto at £18+k and lo and behold they have one 1998, a lot more mileage but at £13k. Planning the trek asap to see them both -- by public transport, in hope... winks
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. - Page 2 Empty Re: Automatic Duetto -- hard to price.

Post by Bulletguy Thu May 31, 2012 5:46 pm

MrsGrey wrote:Well double thanks to BulletGuy because I had another look at the place selling the 1999 auto diesel duetto at £18+k and lo and behold they have one 1998, a lot more mileage but at £13k. Planning the trek asap to see them both -- by public transport, in hope... winks
Jinny

Must admit I didn't look on their website, just at 1999 van. Two Automatic Duettos at the same Dealer....that's pretty rare!! Mileage of 77k isn't too bad for that year Jinny and also the Legend being petrol would not be very economical, not to mention the resale value dropping like a stone as most people looking for a MH/Campervan want diesel. Also the Legend is 6.27mtr long whilst the Duetto is 5.5mtr.

Good idea to go via public transport as hopefully you will be driving back home! Take someone along with you if you can. Price isn't too bad for that year and (from the photos) condition looks clean and tidy. Dependant on how you are buying you should knock them down. If a cash buyer, go in at a very low figure (try around £11,750). You can always go up...... but you cannot come down! A bit of psychology is also useful.....eg, if the van is really A1 +......don't let them see your enthusiasm because that tells them they have a potential sale. Play it cool!!

Good luck....hope you get fixed up and glad to have been of some help! allthumbz

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu May 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes don't worry I will be Ms Cool -- good at that. As it happens I have a friend in Aldeburgh who is happy to come with me, as well as put me up for the night before and drive there. He is male, which also can help, unfortunately! Cash?? That's an awful lot to carry around. I suppose i could sew it into my underwear. scratch head They seem like a straight-up business, so would I'm
Thanks for the advice re pricing and yes I am much keener on the Duetto than a Legend, for all the reasons you mention.
Working at not getting too excited... Whistle1
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. - Page 2 Empty Ooops -- unfinished post...

Post by MrsGrey Thu May 31, 2012 6:42 pm

I meant to say, they seem like a straight-up business, so might not be impressed by actual £50 notes. hugegrins
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:15 am

MrsGrey wrote:Yes don't worry I will be Ms Cool -- good at that. As it happens I have a friend in Aldeburgh who is happy to come with me, as well as put me up for the night before and drive there. He is male, which also can help, unfortunately! Cash?? That's an awful lot to carry around. I suppose i could sew it into my underwear. scratch head They seem like a straight-up business, so would I'm
Thanks for the advice re pricing and yes I am much keener on the Duetto than a Legend, for all the reasons you mention.
Working at not getting too excited... Whistle1
Jinny

UFFF......noooo!! Don't carry that sort of money around with you!!

Not a good idea even if a J cup size!! hugegrins

I meant if you are a 'cash buyer', eg. in a position to pay the price agreed, you are in a stronger position to negotiate a price with the Dealer than if you were looking for Finance or to part/ex a vehicle in toward the price.

When I bought my van, after agreeing a price I left the Seller (it was a private sale) a £200 deposit and agreed to transfer the balance total as soon as ownership of the van had been transferred to me by the V5. He gave me his Bank account detail so I was able to transfer the total direct into his account avoiding having to carry a lump of cash.

If you decide to go ahead on a purchase with this Dealer, all they will expect is a reasonable deposit (£250 or £500 is ample) and then arrange a date to collect and transfer the balance. However if you are thinking of buying there and then, you can do it two ways.......either a Bank Draft from your Bank (this is effectively cash but in the form of a guarantee of cash). Alternatively ask your Bank or Building Society for details of a Branch in Gt Yarmouth, tell them what your plan is and ask their advice on cash withdrawal from their branch in Gt Yarmouth.

Might be best to do the latter as you will hopefully be knocking the price down so won't have a 'fixed figure' as such until you've been to the Dealer.

Good that you are taking a male friend with you. up!

Let me know how you go on!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 am

OK thanks for clarifying about the cash! Plan is, if I do agree to buy, to leave a deposit and return on 9th to collect. That will give me time to arrange insurance as well as payment. Could do it all on the day, but it seems a bit hassled. I have to be overnight in London on 8th anyway. Also in my experience so far with dealers, they usually want to do final tweaks and give you a full hand-over tour -- good idea.

I 'll let you know....
Jinny
broomstick
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Auto Clubman and it's in Devon ..

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks Paul. I'll wait and see how the Duetto goes on Wednesday. I'd prefer that if it's good, but this is a possible.
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:12 am

Think there was an auto Duetto in the MMM ads this month
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:18 pm

roli wrote:Think there was an auto Duetto in the MMM ads this month

At last I've managed to get the search filter to work on their website! Yes, there are actually 2 auto Duettos, but at £23k and 25K they're too expensive for me. rolleyes
Thanks anyway...
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. - Page 2 Empty SUCCEESS!! So many thanks all...

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 am

I have bought my Duetto ! Phew, quite a mission being a 6.5 hour trip. I went to see two at Beck's Motorhomes near Gt. Yarmouth and bought the more expensive one. bouncing It was more than I wanted to pay, but it was the newer model (1999) with better upholstery, bigger rooflight and so on. Also in generally much better condition - my gut told me the cheaper one ( R Reg) could be a potential load of problems. So I negotiated £1,000 off and got it for £18,000 -- gulp. Probably too much, but they are rare beasts. Becks seemed pretty straight and have agreed to do all the important things before pick-up: the bolt holding on the door runner was rusted away, and the body there needs welding. Also a bit of welding on the centre corners of the back door. Of course, as has been pointed out is usual, there is a bit of (semi-fixed) rust round arches But underneath it looked fine, and the engine is super-clean, having done 18,100 miles. Service, timing belt.... the tyres look sound -- no perishing. Pick-up is 2nd July. twiddle_thumbs

Thanks SO much -- the advice I've had from Paulmold, Dutto, Bulletguy, andycamper and others for your invaluable advice -- it helped my confidence no end in looking at both 'vans I've considered. gimmefive I think the dealer this time was a a bit surprised at how well-informed I was in checking -- for a newbie . (And there were some "bits" missing -- table leg, and in the cheaper one an infill cushion) So anyway, job done.... Cheers! drinksallround

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:52 am

Well done Jinny. Now it's the 'I can't wait' time. I've seen many good reports about Becks over the years although never been there myself, that was a long way to go but as you say those autos are rare. My only advise now is not to rush out and buy all the things you think you'll need. Wait until you use it and see what really is neccessary (thats apart from the corkscrew and the kettle which are absolute essentials)
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:55 am

No I won't be buying anything unnecessary. My only thought right now is a reversing sensor. Not a camera, just a standard bleeper. They are removing the tow-bar for me, which will help, but I think a sensor would be helpful, especially for when I am on my own. Any thoughts about what kind? Then it will be off to the car-boot later for anything else...Bad news is that the (apparently valuable?) Duetto crockery was totally missing. Really didn't feel like making a fuss. shrugg
I expect I will re-appearing soon on this forum with typical newbie daft questions!

Thanks again,
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 am

I'm sure some-one here with a 1999 Duetto will be able to tell you the pattern of crockery or better still upload some photos of it so you can start gathering together a set off Ebay.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

Good idea when I've sorted money, insurance...Thanks.
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. - Page 2 Empty Reversing sensors

Post by murph Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi Jinny,
I have bought reversing sensorson 2 seperate occasions from Ultratech in Northhampton Tel 01604831882 Laurence Gold is the man, and I have found him very helpfull. He will fit them for you if required, but they are not difficult for a reasonably handy person to fit, particularly if you select the radio version which had no wireing between the transmitter box at the bck of the van and the display unit at the front. I woudnt be without mine. Whereever you get them from good luck with your new van.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:30 pm

murph wrote: Hi Jinny,
I have bought reversing sensorson 2 seperate occasions from Ultratech in Northhampton Tel 01604831882 Laurence Gold is the man, and I have found him very helpfull. He will fit them for you if required, but they are not difficult for a reasonably handy person to fit, particularly if you select the radio version which had no wireing between the transmitter box at the bck of the van and the display unit at the front. I woudnt be without mine. Whereever you get them from good luck with your new van.

Brian

Thanks Brian --Good tip about the radio version. Having bought the Duetto so far away, I'm hoping to go a bit less far than Northampton (from Somerset) to get the sensors fitted! broomstick
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:37 pm

MrsGrey wrote:I have bought my Duetto ! Phew, quite a mission being a 6.5 hour trip.

Thanks SO much -- the advice I've had from Paulmold, Dutto, Bulletguy, andycamper and others for your invaluable advice -- it helped my confidence no end in looking at both 'vans I've considered. gimmefive I think the dealer this time was a a bit surprised at how well-informed I was in checking -- for a newbie . (And there were some "bits" missing -- table leg, and in the cheaper one an infill cushion) So anyway, job done.... Cheers! drinksallround

Bad news is that the (apparently valuable?) Duetto crockery was totally missing. Really didn't feel like making a fuss. shrugg
I expect I will re-appearing soon on this forum with typical newbie daft questions!

Thanks again,
Jinny

Well done you!! allthumbz

Missing bits.....always a problem with virtually every motorhome/campervan that passes through a Dealership! They have a tendency to pinch from one van whatever is missing from another. If it means closing a sale then they will do anything! Also has to be said that some owners are not so careful either!

The table leg is simply a metal tube slightly tapered at the end to fit it's locating mount. It's worth a call to the Dealer insisting he supplies one as without it the table is useless. I take it the table is still there!!? hugegrins Failing that, contact Auto-Sleepers on 01386 - 853338 and ask to speak to Alan. And this is their website; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Crockery set for that year Duetto was sourced by Auto-Sleepers from two companies in two different patterns. "Primula" from Wood & Sons (factory no longer in production), or "Calypso" by Staffordshire Tableware. Either pattern can be sourced via ebay though I have just looked for Wood & Sons "Primula" and there is none;

It's down to personal choice Jinny but Earthenware not only breaks when you drop it....it weighs, and where you can reduce weight in a Campervan, you do! if you want a complete set, it's well worth considering a Picnic set made from Melamine. Incidentally this is what Auto-Sleepers now use in their later model vans......not I suspect from a weight saving point of view, but more as a cost cutting exercise!

Here is an example of some Melamine sets.....a fraction of what you would pay for earthenware!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:43 pm

MrsGrey wrote:I have bought my Duetto ! Phew, quite a mission being a 6.5 hour trip.

Bad news is that the (apparently valuable?) Duetto crockery was totally missing. Really didn't feel like making a fuss. shrugg

Thanks again,
Jinny

Well done you!! allthumbz

Missing bits.....always a problem with virtually every motorhome/campervan that passes through a Dealership! They have a tendency to pinch from one van whatever is missing from another. If it means closing a sale then they will do anything! Also has to be said that some owners are not so careful either!

The table leg is simply a metal tube slightly tapered at the end to fit it's locating mount. It's worth a call to the Dealer insisting he supplies one as without it the table is useless. I take it the table is still there!!? hugegrins Failing that, contact Auto-Sleepers on 01386 - 853338 and ask to speak to Alan. And this is their website; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Crockery set for that year Duetto was sourced by Auto-Sleepers from two companies in two different patterns. "Primula" from Wood & Sons (factory no longer in production), or "Calypso" by Staffordshire Tableware. Either pattern can be sourced via ebay though I have just looked for Wood & Sons "Primula" and there is none;

It's down to personal choice Jinny but Earthenware not only breaks when you drop it....it's heavy, and where you can reduce weight in a Campervan, you do! if you want a complete set, it's well worth considering a Picnic set made from Melamine. Incidentally this is what Auto-Sleepers now use in their later model vans......not I suspect from a weight saving point of view, but more as a cost cutting exercise!

Here is an example of some Melamine sets.....a fraction of what you would pay for earthenware!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

Bulletguy wrote:

It's down to personal choice Jinny but Earthenware not only breaks when you drop it....it's heavy, and where you can reduce weight in a Campervan, you do! if you want a complete set, it's well worth considering a Picnic set made from Melamine. Incidentally this is what Auto-Sleepers now use in their later model vans......not I suspect from a weight saving point of view, but more as a cost cutting exercise!

Yes I kind of sussed out what the dealers do re moving stuff about. I'm going to call the dealer a few days before going to get it, to go through the list of stuff he promised to do, including the table leg. The older Duetto they had had (funnily enough) a full set of crockery... scratch head I could have asked them to move them (back?) to my 'van, but really hadn't the heart. Anyway, I was already thinking along the lines of melamine for weight and practicality. The main issue with that seems to be the size of dinner plates, to fit the rack. Apparently the Symphony takes 9.5" plate, so I'm assuming the Duetto rack is similar. Talk about getting caught up in detail!
Reminding myself that there are more important issues to get settled, based on the HUGE lists that Paulmold and others have been kind enough to share. All very helpful , thanks. allthumbz
Paid a visit to Go Outdoors in Bristol -- a lot of STUFF. Keeping to essentials for now as advised by Boxerman. Loo chemicals, water carrier, sleeping bags (since I failed the Duralay alert!)....
Expecting some major "Ooops" moments at Latitude hugegrins
Jinny

Jinny

Last edited by MrsGrey on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Poor formatting by me!)
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 pm

MrsGrey wrote:

Yes I kind of sussed out what the dealers do re moving stuff about. I'm going to call the dealer a few days before going to get it, to go through the list of stuff he promised to do, including the table leg. The older Duetto they had had (funnily enough) a full set of crockery... scratch head I could have asked them to move them (back?) to my 'van, but really hadn't the heart. Anyway, I was already thinking along the lines of melamine for weight and practicality. The main issue with that seems to be the size of dinner plates, to fit the rack. Apparently the Symphony takes 9.5" plate, so I'm assuming the Duetto rack is similar. Talk about getting caught up in detail!
Reminding myself that there are more important issues to get settled, based on the HUGE lists that Paulmold and others have been kind enough to share. All very helpful , thanks. allthumbz
Paid a visit to Go Outdoors in Bristol -- a lot of STUFF. Keeping to essentials for now as advised by Boxerman. Loo chemicals, water carrier, sleeping bags (since I failed the Duralay alert!)....
Expecting some major "Ooops" moments at Latitude hugegrins

Jinny

As far as I know the Duetto crockery plate size is 10"......any Duetto owner with an original set may confirm on this, but Alan at Auto-Sleeper will tell you precisely. In fact Alan is an excellent source of 'info' and very knowledgeable on the most obscure aspects of the Duetto so it is useful to keep his contact number. Actually the rack itself I personally feel is a bit of a waste as it uses up valuable space and you will soon begin to appreciate that space is the one thing which is at a premium in any Campervan. I assume like me you are a solo traveller (??), if so then you won't find any need or purpose to cart around extra bowls, plates or mugs. Actually i'm looking at turning my rack into shelf as (for me) that would prove more useful.

Despite my van being the best of those I viewed, mine also came minus the crockery set....but to my knowledge it's passed through two Dealers and almost certainly that is where the set will have 'disappeared'!

I tried tracing it's entire history as for me something like that is always a strong selling point if ever selling at a later date. I had the name and address of the original owner from new and the second owner, and wrote to both but despite enclosing an SAE, never received a reply from the original owner........not even a "get lost i'm not interested"! Some folk are funny like that and don't like you asking questions about a vehicle they have owned.

Owners (and Dealers!!) do some very odd things with MH's/Campers and few second hand are 100% original. For example, the curtain at the side sliding door had been removed by someone at sometime. The question I had to ask myself was WHY?? scratch head But even more baffling was the side bench seat. Behind that there is a section of upholstered cloth to which a 'filler' cushion is attached which you use when the beds is laid out in full mode. Somebody had cut this section of cloth away! Had it been used to re-upholster a seat or arm I could have understood the reason, but there is no sign of any re-upholstering being carried out.....so once again....WHY and what is all that about??! shrugg I've since put that right by purchasing some original upholstery and having it re-stitched to how it should have been.

Another thing you might like to look at Jinny is replacing the Ford radio (if it hasn't already been done). If you like your music then you will find the Ford radio is cr*p and I replaced mine with a Pioneer CD radio with USB facility. Eventually i'm also going to replace the speakers with better quality ones.

As for the stupid roof aerial.......I could write a damn book on that so we will leave that one for another day! It's a 'pet bug' of mine!! hugegrins

When/where are you planning your first trip to? smile!

Keep us all up to date on the board and don't be afraid to ask any questions. up!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Bulletguy -- as you say, it's sometimes hard to see why people do such weird things!
As for the crockery -- I have decided not to fret after ceramic. I use mugs anyway. So I'm getting some melamine from eBay and I'm off to the car boot early tomorrow to pick up other useful stuff I hope -- whistling kettle and so on. Yes I am solo traveller, mostly. I'm going with my daughter on my first trip (after the initial drive home to Somerset from the dealer in Great Yarmouth 6+ hours away!). We'll be going all the way back again to Southwold in Suffolk for Latitude Festival. So the first trip will be a baptism of fire: 3 nights with (probably) mud, no electric hook-up, and so on. I've been having a conversation with people over on one of the general forums about equipment/tips which has been really helpful -- I have levellers and Monster Mats ordered, as well as memory foam and sleeping bags (Having missed the pointers to "Duvalay", apparently alittlesecret the sleeping arrangement of choice...) Even so, I foresee major ****-ups! oh_blast!

Thanks for the hints -- I'm sure there will be more questions, probably in a different thread, as the title of this one is getting very out of date!
Can't wait to get my new Duetto! tap_fingers Only 2 weeks....
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Jinny,

Just back and hope that "Congratulation" are now in order! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Not yet! I go to Gt. Yarmouth on Sunday to stay over and collect Duetto on Monday.
Fingers crossed for the marathon drive back biggrin A bit nervous at such a long way on the first drive, by myself! I will stop a while on M25 services.
Then off back to East coast for Latitude festival on 12th. broomstick At least I'll have my daughter there but I fully expect to get a lot wrong on that trip... lol4

Thanks for asking. I'll update on Tuesday, if still alive.
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next