The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price.

+4
Dutto
Paulmold
Campievanner
MrsGrey
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. Empty Automatic Duetto -- hard to price.

Post by MrsGrey Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 am

I have an appt. to see one in S.E. London on 7th May -- the next time possible to get there. What do you think about the price here? The seller seems very straight and a real owner rather than a dealer in disguise, and warned me that there is "some rust". It has an emission filter fitted which is a plus.... 1999 Turbo Diesel; Automatic; 24,700 miles; £15,900
gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/autosleeper-ford-duetto-automatic-25-td--lez-compliant/100451294

It's hard to find price comparisons as they are rare beasts. scratch head
There's one same age in Lancashire 65+K miles @ £12,995.
And in Durham, 2002, 50,900m @ £18,950

Does anyone here have any light to shed?
I am thinking of going for £1k less and hoping it doesn't sell before I get there....
Thank you, helpful peeps. smile!

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Automatic Duetto -- hard to price. Empty Re: Automatic Duetto -- hard to price.

Post by Campievanner Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:09 pm

In 2003 we bought a 1998 Duetto (manual) from a dealer and paid £18500.
It had then about the same miles on as the one you are going to look at.
The only thing I would say is that you really need to look at the tyres as with low mileage it may have been sitting on them for a while. We bought ours and needed 4 new tyres within about 2 months the tread was fine but the side walls gave out as it had sat. Think that was about £500.
You may need to budget that cost into it.

Also I would check to see if it has been regularly serviced as if people read "10,000 miles or 1 year- whichever is soonest" as 10,000 miles it could have been left for a little while. I can't remember the servicing intervals on our 1998 vehicle.

We loved the cabinet work on that vehicle - It was Autosleeper at its finest. Loved the fold away cooker and sink.

What a spread round the country. You will be doing some miles if you see them all.

Good Luck

Janet
Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for the info, Janet. I am NOT intending to go screaming round the country -- just can't. I'm in Somerset so Durham is a huge mission and I'm working still. They say it has new tyres (I'll check for perishing too) and timing belt and I'll ask about the service history -- thanks for the reminder!
I have seen a Duetto already, and liked the layout and so on. It was just evident that the gear stick was out of the question for me with a slightly dodgy left shoulder and I'm only 5'1" so it was a bit of a reach = BAD. The owner of this one says she is 5' and finds the auto fine to drive, so I'm hoping...
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:32 pm

I've sent you a PM
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi there,

Best of luck.

With an automatic it is almost (but not quite) impossible to damage the engine, gearbox and drive train on an automatic so if they have a full service history and you can get it at a thousand quid less then it sounds like a "not too bad" deal.

As previously explained we paid £15,000 for "Petal" but this was through a Dealer and at the time of purchase she really was IMMACULATE and RUST FREE and FULLY DOCUMENTED (e.g every MOT certificate and every service, repair and tyre change receipt!!!!).

Like ALL private sales there is the danger of stolen vehicles, cloned vehicles etc etc etc so be careful before you part with any money and make sure that you don't get railroaded into a quick decision on the basis "I have another person coming to look at it at 3 o'clock!"

Best regards, best of luck and fingers crossed for you.

drinksallround

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks to all. I'm looking forward to seeing this Duetto hoping it'll still be there, and I have a good feel about it! smile!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu May 17, 2012 10:33 am

Did you have any joy with the one you were going to see on the 7th.?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Fri May 18, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for asking.Yes and no....It is in really good condition inside, habitation-wise. There is a fair amount of wheel-arch and sill rust, though that is not too bad. More of a concern is that the gearbox seems to be struggling in the low gears -- but I can't be sure if that is normal for this diesel engine with an automatic gearbox. So when i get back from France, tomorrow I am going to organise an inspection. The vendors are in no rush. I am hoping, but also trying to be sensible!
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri May 18, 2012 11:55 am

MrsGrey wrote:More of a concern is that the gearbox seems to be struggling in the low gears -- but I can't be sure if that is normal for this diesel engine with an automatic gearbox .....

One of the "problems" with automatics is that they tend to be sluggish when compared to a stick-change.

This is why the boy racers almost never bother stealing them; they are just not "cool".

As a "quick check" on automatic health:

o Start off slowly. Listen for the change from 1st to 2nd and then floor the accelerator. The gearbox should drop back into 1st and accelerate before changing up into 2nd again.

o Do the same for 2nd to 3rd.

If the gears change as designed then the gearbox should be OK.

It is also quite possible that, as you are driving a "new to you" vehicle that isn't even your own, you are driving it much more gently than normal; which is why it seems sluggish. Alternatively, if the Owner was driving it maybe you are about to buy:

A) A vehicle that the Owner has driven very gently since purchase. OR

B) A vehicle that the Owner suspects is about to fall to bits and he therefore daren't just floor the accelerator.

Enjoy the decision making process - women are usually very good at spotting iffy men which is why there is almost no divorce in the UK! allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Sat May 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Yes -- I didn't expect it to be a racing car! hugegrins I drive an automatic car so I'm used to the feel of that, and of course a van is bigger, so would feel more sluggish. What concerned me was that it seemed to be revving a lot in the low gears, without picking up speed much. So, if it had been a manual I'd have said the clutch might have been slipping. Does that make sense? I didn't think to try the kick-down though I did push it quite hard in the low gears...
I've decided that as it is a lot of money I will get it inspected -- logistically tricky, but I think I should.
The owners seem extremely straight and were at pains to tell me absolutely everything and show me all the docs, receipts and so on that they have. So I am convinced they are not crooks! They are also happy for me to get it inspected which must be a good sign....
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun May 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi there,

Googled "Automatic Gearbox Slipping" and got the following:

"Automatic transmission actually have more then one clutch between every gear. If it only happens lets say, from 1st gear to 2nd, there's your problem, and if its between 2nd and 3rd it will be right there. I'm sure you can easy test this yourself on a short drive down your block."

The writer then went on to suggest that it would be wise to get it examined so it looks like you are doing the right thing. allthumbz

Best regards,

drinksallround

Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Mon May 21, 2012 9:01 am

Hi

What with the rust, and doubts about the Gearbox. I would walk away from this one.

I got rid of my Duetto,which I rather liked, but the problem with rust on the Ford chassis, back doors,and sills, will be an ongoing concern for you.

Cheers, Andy
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Mon May 21, 2012 9:24 am

Mmm thanks Andy. My problem is I really need an automatic - I am quite small and have a shoulder problem that makes manual tricky unless they are really easy -- especially the stick needs to be not too far away. Automatic 2 berth MHs seem extremely rare.
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 am

andygump wrote:....................
I got rid of my Duetto,which I rather liked, but the problem with rust on the Ford chassis, back doors,and sills, will be an ongoing concern for you.

On the other hand - the rust-bucket will probably still be going after half-a-million miles because of the Ford engine, gearbox and transmission system!

It's all a bit "swings and roundabouts" and there must be a reason why the Ford Transit is one of the most popular vans in Europe!

"Petal" is showing rust around the wheel arches but I am hoping that the "underseal" (sprayed on as an optional extra when she was new) will keep the main chassis going for many more years yet.

Also, the locations where the vehicle has been used is critical. I would NEVER buy a second-hand vehicle that has been predominantly used in Scotland on the basis that the roads are heavily salted and gritted for up to four months of the year!

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Mon May 21, 2012 1:15 pm

MrsGrey wrote:Mmm thanks Andy. My problem is I really need an automatic - I am quite small and have a shoulder problem that makes manual tricky unless they are really easy -- especially the stick needs to be not too far away. Automatic 2 berth MHs seem extremely rare.

Hi,

There is a way you can have an Automatic adaptor fitted, which I believe was fairly good.

I forget the name of it, but I am sure someone on the Forum will have heard of it.

When I owned my Duetto, I used to have a game for myself, it was called "spot the Transit( pre 2002) with NO rust on it". I never did up!

Andy
andygump

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Mon May 21, 2012 1:21 pm

andygump wrote:
MrsGrey wrote:Mmm thanks Andy. My problem is I really need an automatic - I am quite small and have a shoulder problem that makes manual tricky unless they are really easy -- especially the stick needs to be not too far away. Automatic 2 berth MHs seem extremely rare.

Hi,

There is a way you can have an Automatic adaptor fitted, which I believe was fairly good.

I forget the name of it, but I am sure someone on the Forum will have heard of it.

Andy

Thanks Andy -- Does anyone know about such an adaptor? scratch head
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Mon May 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Mrs Grey

Try Googling Autoclutch they can do all makes of vehicles it seems. So will give you more choice.

Andy
andygump

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Mon May 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Autoclutch won't do it: "You only have to operate the accelerator and brake pedals in combination with your gear selector." My issue is not with the clutch pedal, but withthe actual gear selector. So I need a full automatic. I will research conversion....
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Mon May 21, 2012 2:39 pm

It seems that conversion from manual to automatic is a major job, entailing re-building the engine.
I'm beginning to lose hope I'll ever find anything that I can drive comfortably and is not in a bad state. uncertain
BUT I have posted on Ford Transit forum for general view as to what to expect in the way of performance from an automatic Transit turbo diesel.

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 21, 2012 3:17 pm

I think from early postings of yours, you are limited to Duetto, Symphony type van conversions. There is this Rambler on the earlier Talbot , automatic, diesel with power steering, bit older than you have been looking for (1993) but maybe worth a look ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed May 30, 2012 2:51 am

MrsGrey wrote:It seems that conversion from manual to automatic is a major job, entailing re-building the engine.
I'm beginning to lose hope I'll ever find anything that I can drive comfortably and is not in a bad state. uncertain
BUT I have posted on Ford Transit forum for general view as to what to expect in the way of performance from an automatic Transit turbo diesel.

Jinny

Not sure of your budget but there is a 1999 Ford Transit Excelsior automatic up for sale here;

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Wed May 30, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks Bulletguy. I could go to that for something really good. The Excelsior is rather too big I'm afraid. I have to consider the feelings of the relative who is going to allow me to park it! Something more about 5.0-5.5 metres-ish like a Duetto or just a bit bigger would be fine. So there are some coachbuilts, but mostly it is Hi-Tops. I know I am being picky and might have to wait...
But thanks for the suggestions and I will keep watching the relevant sites. allthumbz
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed May 30, 2012 3:18 pm

MrsGrey wrote:Thanks Bulletguy. I could go to that for something really good. The Excelsior is rather too big I'm afraid. I have to consider the feelings of the relative who is going to allow me to park it! Something more about 5.0-5.5 metres-ish like a Duetto or just a bit bigger would be fine. So there are some coachbuilts, but mostly it is Hi-Tops. I know I am being picky and might have to wait...
But thanks for the suggestions and I will keep watching the relevant sites. allthumbz
Jinny

Here you go then......a 1999 automatic Duetto with just 18,100 miles on the clock. It's hardly been used!! Also worth mentioning (as the advertiser hasn't!), this is an LE model which has a few more refinements than a standard Duetto, such as a better finished kitchen worktop, gold finished mixer tap, drop down glass oven top cover instead of the cheap tinny looking 'camping style' plates....and a Heki 2 roof vent which is a major plus. This is a large opening vent which not only allows plenty of air in, but also much more light than in a standard Duetto.

Surprised the seller hasn't advertised it as an LE because there is quite a difference between the standard and LE Duetto. Price is not totally unrealistic either.

and another Duetto but Mk6/7 Transit so bit more expensive.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Wed May 30, 2012 11:18 pm

This is going to seem really ungrateful after all your trouble, but they are too expensive -- I will need one that's older. And also Becks are in Great Yarmouth which is a 5.5 hour drive from me here in Somerset-- tricky as I do still work...
I've been trying to use the classified "Out and About Live" but can't get the filter on the search facility to work. Have tried everything on my computer, as well as a different browser. Pity, as there are loads of ads there, too many to go through with no filter, even using Windows "Find"! tap_fingers Also slogging round eBay, Gumtree, AutoTrader, Pre-Loved and all the dealers' websites within 100 miles. read MUST get something in the end. timer I'm going to Southampton next week, to see an auto Transit Legend:

I do appreciate so much good help-- Thanks! up!

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu May 31, 2012 12:01 am

MrsGrey wrote:This is going to seem really ungrateful after all your trouble, but they are too expensive -- I will need one that's older. And also Becks are in Great Yarmouth which is a 5.5 hour drive from me here in Somerset-- tricky as I do still work...
I've been trying to use the classified "Out and About Live" but can't get the filter on the search facility to work.

No problem.....i've had the same problem with filtering on O&A. Here is a link to all currently listed Auto-Sleepers on there;

As for price, I was going by your initial posting and assumed you were looking in that bracket.

I'm afraid the chance of finding exactly what you want on your doorstep is remote to say the least......and your options are even narrower by wanting an automatic Duetto (or similar size van) To give you some idea, I bought mine in May last year but had travelled hundreds of miles to see various ones. I live in North Staffs area and went to see one in Brighton, wasn't happy with it, came back home, then a few days later another came up for sale......in Folkestone! But that was even worse than the one in Brighton! So once again I was driving back home again. The nearest to home I ever viewed a van was one in Liverpool, a round trip of 120 miles.

A few weeks later I spotted one for sale in Reading.....so I was off back down South again! This time as soon as I saw it I knew this was the one. Condition was immaculate, inside and out. About the only 'disappointment' was no rev counter and no electric windows (the latter being a useful extra for me as a single driver). Both these items were listed as 'extras' by the time my van was manufactured (2000) and it really was 'penny pinching' on the part of the owner at new.

Duetto's command a fairly good price and it's not unusual to see good ones at higher prices than some coachbuilt vans.

If you do go for an older/cheaper one, look for the classic Transit rust spots......wheel arches, bottom of the rear doors, and on both front doors between the quarter light and window. Wheel arches can be replaced and are not expensive to buy, but 'tidying up' cosmetic work by a reputable body shop can cost around £2-300, so thats worth bearing in mind.

The other thing to look for with any second hand van is manuals relating to all interior equipment as well as the van itself........owners have a nasty habit of losing them! Also keys!!! I know that sounds daft but many vans get sold with just one key.....and that can cost you as much as £100 to get another. You need two keys!!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next