The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Levelling a duetto Automatic

+2
fenderbender
Yelto
6 posters

Go down

Levelling a duetto Automatic Empty Levelling a duetto Automatic

Post by Yelto Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi all 
I am going to a race meeting in a couple of weeks and I do not know if the  parking field will be level or not so does anyone have any tips, do's & don'ts for putting a Duetto automatic onto levelling ramps, with a manual gearbox you have more control  than an automatic.
My thoughts are that if  I  engage manual drive and control the movement with the handbrake would be the way to do it but any advice would be most appreciated.
Which is better/easier Driving up or reversing up
and front wheels up or rear wheels up or 1 front & 1 rear up .

Cheers

Yelto
Yelto
Yelto

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Transit Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Levelling a duetto Automatic Empty Re: Levelling a duetto Automatic

Post by fenderbender Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Its easier to put ramps up to the front wheels, hang out of the window and drive slowly forward up the ramps and be quick on the brake, have a practice before you go. The first time I did it I went over the end. Once you've done it a few times its a doddle.
I don't think it will be much more difficult with an auto.
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Yelto Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks 

I am going to have a go at home on my drive which is level, but at least it will give me a feel for it. and if it does go wrong I have the equipment to rescue the situation.
Yelto
Yelto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:52 pm

You don't say what generation of Duetto you have (perhaps elsewhere, but not in this thread), but autos are - in my experience - far easier to control than a manual box in this type of situation, unless you have a DSG type auto, which aren't quite so simple.

I've had auto transmission Transit-based camper vans for 25+ years and never had a problem putting them up on levelling ramps. I always go on with the front wheels (closer and easier to see from the driver's seat).

As implied above, the one thing you ~must not~ do is roar up to the top and bang on the anchors, because the van's momentum will tip the ramps over and you'll end up with them stuck up inside the wheel arches (ask me how I know this). Just take it slow and steady and you'll be fine. I've tried using the handbrake to control things, but just using the throttle and foot brake is fine on an auto - and you don't have to worry about overheating the clutch, unlike a manual.

A DSG auto requires a bit more care - as I've been finding out since getting the latest van - because the gears engage more like a manual box, but without the driver being able to control the clutch! It's fine once you get used to it...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Yelto Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:01 pm

cheers 

The Duetto is a 2004 DSG with the push buttons change on the dash, so as you say it will need a bit more care.
Yelto
Yelto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:15 am

Yelto wrote:cheers 

The Duetto is a 2004 DSG with the push buttons change on the dash, so as you say it will need a bit more care.

It's not strictly a DSG (dual clutch system used by VW) but is a robotised manual as per the newer Fiat autos.
We used to borrow my in-laws Duetto auto and really loved it - the auto system worked really well.

We never had any problems driving up onto levelling wedges. You can control it very easily on accelerator and brake.

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:21 am

Which wheels you use the ramps on will usually depend on which way the slope runs in relation to where you pitch, unless you have the option to orient the van in any way.

As a general rule, if it's the front that needs raising, we usually drive on forwards; if the rear, then we reverse, particularly on soft grass, sand or gravel pitches. The logic for this, based on practical experience, is that you can drive off the ramps either in forward or reverse gear as appropriate and keep going without stopping until on firm ground so as to avoid getting bogged down. This obviously also requires orientation on the pitch to be able to drive off an open side.

We use a combination of Fiamma Level Up ramps and Monster Mats

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If the levelling ramps are not required, we still use the mats under the front (driving) wheels to prevent sinking in, unless we are on hard-standing.  However,  if levelling is required on hard-standing we do use the mats as they grip the ramps and prevent them shooting out if you are a tad unsmooth with the accelerator.  Something to bear in mind when practising on your drive.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Yelto Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:47 am

Very interesting "smartoutdoors" video, the Monster Mats look to be a useful addition especially if wild camping or at one off venues. 

Thanks all for your'e input
Yelto
Yelto

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:12 pm

We must be the 'oddballs' here, as we find its perfect for us with the 'back-end high' syndrome as we suffer slightly from acid-reflux & we NEVER have when in the van, head toward the rear, feet forward, heads high, feet low, perfik smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down