The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice?

3 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice? Empty Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice?

Post by MrsGrey Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Calling all kind Symphony owners! I'm going to look at one tomorrow. It's a 1997 Petrol, 35,600 miles, £14,995 from Webbs in Warmister.
Any tips as to potential problems to watch out for. Cam belt change? Rust or leaks -- where especially? alittlesecret
This is about 5 times more than I have ever spent on a car so while of course it is different being an MH -- it is a (gulp) big step...
Many thanks in advance.
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice? Empty Oh --- I can't

Post by MrsGrey Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:27 pm

... post a link yet. Boo.
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice? Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice?

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Ours is also a 1997 petrol. I don't think there are any major rust issues except the front crossmember (under the radiator) which are a common problem (luckily not on mine so far) but is not expensive to replace, so if by any chance this is badly rusted get the dealer to replace it or use it as a negotiating tool. Take a good length test-drive and make sure it pulls up hills. Ours had a blown head gasket which did not show up on a relatively short and flat test-drive and on first outing couldn't climb long slow hills, fixed under warranty but better to not have the problem in the first place.
That price is quite high now, we paid £15000 three years ago with 52,000 miles, so even with the lower mileage on the one you are looking at, I would think you could get quite a bit off that price.
Cambelt will need changing around 60,000 or 5 years so ask for evidence of change within the last 2 years or so, so that you can forget about for the first couple of years of ownership, or get them to change it.
There should be no leaks to worry about on a van conversion but look around the rooflight for signs of damp staining and also in the front overhead locker as damp stains there could be a problem with the hightop seal.
Just looked at it on Webbs website and it has Fiamma awning and bike-rack, nice to have already fitted but don't let them tell you thats why it's a high price - if you sold it to them , those extras aren't worth anything.
Can't think of anything else to tell you, they are a good van, servicing of petrol ones is simple, fuel comsumption around 23/24mpg.

Just checked prices on ebay - two dealers have 1999 models 31&33K miles at £12,000 and £12995 , not in your area but just shows that the Webbs one is pricey. Good luck and I hope it is a good one for you.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice? Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice?

Post by boxerman Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Ours is a '95 so a couple of years older than this one. I think this will have the later, slicker gearbox - Paul?
In addition to what Paul has told you:
The cross members Paul mentioned is a bolt-on job so not too expensive to replace if needed. I have had to have welding done in the following places:
About 12" of inner sill, both sides just in front of the rear wheels. Front jacking points were looking a bit moth-eaten so I had those patched up. and last, but by no means least, the inner sills & outriggers behind the rear wheels. Check these areas.

Ours developed a leak around the bathroom skylight which manifested as a stain along the top of the bathroom / kitchen "wall". I resealed the skylight and replaced the headlining myself.
Check that the crockery is still in its cupboard over the sink - if not ask why not. Make sure you have two tables and two legs.
The swivel passenger seat is a standard fitting, not an extra.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks Frank you've just given me some things to watch out for in the future with regards to rust. The crockery is also a good negotiating point as Autosleepers are always worth a bit more with the original crockery.
I only got one table leg with mine, two tables, just thought it gave you the choice didn't realise you could use the two together to seat four, forgot about that but didn't know any different at the time (this forum didn't exist back then).
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks to both paulmold and boxerman. Those are all useful pointers, and also the pricing guide is helpful. I was aiming to get pushy about that. I think dealers see a (ahem) 60-something female approaching and think "pushover", so I tend to think it my mission to be as well-informed as possible and tough to boot! biggrin So all your info is grist to the mill...Don't need the bike rack so am not going to be swayed by that anyway.
I'll let you know what happens.
Hiding her excitement....
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symphony buying advice? Empty Back to automatic Duetto...

Post by MrsGrey Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:02 am

Well I saw too Symphonies at Webbs in Warminster and they seemed fine for the most part. But after a test drive I realised that though I could manage the gears, it was uncomfortable and on a long drive would not be good. girl-thinking So I'm now holding out for an automatic, probably a Duetto after all as Boxers seem not to do automatics. I have an appt. to see one in S.E. London on 7th May -- the next time possible to get there. Maybe I should re-post for Duetto advice, but what do you think about the price here? The seller seems very straight and a real owner rather than a dealer in disguise, and warned me that there is "some rust". It has an emission filter fitted which is a plus.... 1999 Turbo Diesel; Automatic; 24,700miles; £15,900
gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/autosleeper-ford-duetto-automatic-25-td--lez-compliant/100451294

I am thinking of going for £1k less....

You are a great bunch of helpful folks -- thanks! handshake

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 am

Of course it might be sold before then, though Plumstead is probably not a motorhome hot-spot. biggrin
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down