The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veba Reversing camera fault

+4
rgermain
Gromit
PLOUGHLIN
davidcs
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Veba Reversing camera fault Empty Veba Reversing camera fault

Post by davidcs Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello, The reversing camera on my Kemerton is not working. This morning it was OK, but later in the day it was showing No signal.
Any information would be helplful. The van is less than three years old.
Many thanks
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Veba Reversing camera fault Empty Re: Veba Reversing camera fault

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Have you inadvertently changed channel on the remote?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by davidcs Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:35 am

Thank you for your reply

No I haven't touched the remote. I was reversing in a carpark yesterday and the camera showed a blue screen and No Signal
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Not the best on the market, and I'm not sure they are still trading?

It doesn't inspire confidence when their website (such as it is!!) still quotes, "New for 2012". shrugg
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by ours, and made enquiries about upgrading it, but was informed that no other system is compatible with the wiring so it would be a case of strip out the old and install the new. This would obviously not be the cheap(ish) option I was looking for - to install a decent twin lens camera with both reversing and rear view formats.

I would say your best option is to contact the A/S service Dept and see what Mark has to say. I don't know for how long the Veba is guaranteed, but he should be able to help in any event. He usually does. up!
01386 853511    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps a bit.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:08 am

Try playing with the remote mode button. The screen can accept 2 feeds, with a single camera fitted the second feed shows blue screen, no signal.

Button above the centre button.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Veba Reversing camera fault Empty Thank you

Post by davidcs Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Thank you for all the help. I have tried all suggestions but still no good, so I am getting in touch with A/S as was suggested.
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Veba Reversing camera fault Empty Veba Reversing camera fault

Post by davidcs Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:08 pm

I got in touch with Mark at A/S, he suggested I look at the connections behind the fuse box by the steering wheel, I could not see anything which resembled a camera cable, so I traced the cable from the monitor and it was behind the cover on the inside of the wheel arch by the step. I found three cables two coming from the monitor end and one which I presume comes from the camera which was connected to the lead with AV2, the AV1 was not connected, I changed over to the AV1 and Mark suggested (no change). I disconnected them all still the same (blue screen No signal). Mark said if I had no joy there it was more than likely the camera.
I removed the upper brake light cover and located the wire going to the camera which was a short piece of wire going in to the connection wire to the monitor.
Can anyone tell me if I can buy just the camera or do I need to buy the whole system.
I have been on the net to try and find a price for a new Veba camera, but I have't been able to see the model I have on the van.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:56 pm

davidcs wrote:Can anyone tell me if I can buy just the camera or do I need to buy the whole system.
I have been on the net to try and find a price for a new Veba camera, but I have't been able to see the model I have on the van.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
Sorry - wish I could!

If you do find a suitable replacement camera please post details on here. I also had no luck at all in finding one on the web. I have to wonder if Messrs Veba are still trading??

I would be very interested to hear if you have any luck, and there are several others who are not too happy with their current set-up, so I expect they will also be keen to hear.

Good hunting.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm

Less than 3 years old, I would go down the line of a placement by A/S or the Dealer. Might get a "good will" replacement if all other fails.

I had the same problem when mine failed, blue screen only, at 8 mths old, Dealer contacted A/S and it was the monitor that they replaced FOC. Been ok since.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidT Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Veba do seem to be trading: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Here is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that may be of interest.
DavidT
DavidT

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:05 pm

I found that website too David, but this bit doesn't inspire confidence.

Latest News

Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:42 pm

They don't reply to emails sent using their contact us page.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:55 pm

rgermain wrote:Less than 3 years old, I would go down the line of a placement by A/S or the Dealer. Might get a "good will" replacement if all other fails.

I had the same problem when mine failed, blue screen only, at 8 mths old, Dealer contacted A/S and it was the monitor that they replaced FOC. Been ok since.

Richard
Same with ours blue screen 1 year old , dealer changed the monitor been ok since[Mostly!!]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Gromit wrote:I found that website too David, but this bit doesn't inspire confidence.

Latest News

When I wanted to install a camera system in our last van, probably eight years ago now, I asked AS what they installed and tried to track it down. It took some doing to find that they were supplied by Armour and to find a phone number. When I did call them they absolutely refused to talk to a retail customer, as you might expect I did not buy from them.

I found a suitable, and much cheaper (and can't remember who from), system on the internet and had it installed at the service centre. The camera packed up after a few months but was replaced without quibble.

The Veba system on the current van has always worked fine however the power supply interferes with the operation of the cab radio and sat nav so I had to have an isolation switch fitted and only switch it on when I'm about to reverse.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:23 am

Do you have a digital camera with an AV output as well as a USB? If you have, connecting that to the monitor will show if it is the camera at fault.
Even if it appears go be the camera the real problem may be a lack of 12v supply to the camera. Can you locate and test that before buying new kit?

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by davidcs Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

A/S replied to my email, told me to look for fuses at the connection can't see any fuses, failing this then to take the camera off the van and try it in the connection near the fuse box (AV1 and AV2) but the camera plug is totally different from the AV plugs, camera one pin, AV four pin.  So, I am no further to solving the problem. Has anyone taken a camera off? because it looks quite difficult to get at the nut. (Stressed )

Thank you to everyone for your help.
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm

I've sent you a PM, if you can't receive it let me know via the e-mail link with your personal e-mail address included in the body of the mail.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:06 pm

davidcs wrote:A/S replied to my email, told me to look for fuses at the connection can't see any fuses, failing this then to take the camera off the van and try it in the connection near the fuse box (AV1 and AV2) but the camera plug is totally different from the AV plugs, camera one pin, AV four pin.  So, I am no further to solving the problem. Has anyone taken a camera off? because it looks quite difficult to get at the nut. (Stressed )

Thank you to everyone for your help.

The cable(s) from the camera MUST have 4 wires in total - 2 to carry the video signal which should finish up at AV2 on the monitor and 2 more as 12v + and return earth for the power to the camera. What you have described as a plug with one pin is probably a phonoplug which actually has two connectios, the pin that sticks out and a shroud around it. The cameras that I have seen either have a yellow phonoplug plus two more wires (red and black) or, more normally, a 4 pin plug about 6mm in diameter, usually black. The monitor may have phoo sockets labelled AV1 & AV2 both yellow and three other wires, red, black and anothdr, the third one being the wire thst gets connectec to the reversing switch to provide a trigger to switch AV2 on.
My guess is that you have no power to the camera at present because a wire is adrift or a fuse hax blown. Watch out for Peter's pm.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I've sent you a PM, if you can't receive it let me know via the e-mail link with your personal e-mail address included in the body of the mail.
Hi David, I received you e-mail from the forum but am not able to reply to it. Please send me another and include your personal e-mail address or telephone number - we couldn't be much closer.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Veba Reversing camera fault Empty reversing camera fault update

Post by davidcs Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 am

The fault hasn't been resolved yet, but Peter, has been very helpful and together we established that the monitor was working.
We were unable to check the monitor connections to the camera connections because we hadn't got the correct cable to do the test.
A quote for £192 for a new camera, Shock.
 I notice on the internet there are a lot of different makes which are cheaper than the Verba, but I'm not sure if they would connect into the existing monitor connection.
Mention has been made of fuses, can anyone give me an idea of where the fuse for the camera is located, also I am not sure if it is a blade or barrel fuse.
Many thanks Everyone.
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:43 am

The supply for the monitor and camera are one and the same. Its probably worth trying to source a 4 way mini jack so we can connect into the cable behind the high level brake light and test the voltage a vision connections from there

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm

On our 2013 Broadway the camera (within a foot) is plugged into the front to rear cable via a small black 4 pin plug, at this point you could use a multimeter to check for a live 12 volt supply. If you take a photo of the two halves of the connectors behind the camera and pop into your local Maplins shop they will have the conectors in stock although I can't see why you would need them, you may just have a bad connection.
If you have no camera connected or a poor connection the monitor defaults to a blue screen

When I had a need to speak to Veba technical last year they were very helpfull over the phone.

Should you be unlucky and need to replace your camera you can buy a camera from lots of places but you must make sure the configuration of the pins in the plug are the same as the layout does vary.

Chris
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Veba Reversing camera fault Empty reversing camera fault update

Post by davidcs Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Sorry for the delay in thanking everyone for their advice. I still haven't managed to find out what is wrong with the camera.
I called into Auto Sleeper last week and spoke to Mark, unfortunately all the technicians were busy but he very kindly tried a new camera at the back of the van, but still no joy, he thought the wiring was the fault. 
I took the camera to a local garage which deals in reversing cameras, all he could suggest is to bring the vehicle down to be tested, but, when he quoted £45 per hour! I didn't want to take this step if I can fix it myself. I think possibly a new camera would be cheaper.
Has anyone had any experience with the Avtex Garmin 660 camper wireless sat. nav. and reversing camera.
Thank you again everyone, especially Peter B.
davidcs
davidcs

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by spanner Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 pm

As Mark has tried a substitute camera perhaps you could connect a temporary lead between the camera and monitor and this would rule out a fault in the front to rear cable, if the cable is at fault it would be a cheap fix at just £3.39

On our Broadway the control unit for the monitor was located above the headlining immediately over the mirror

A new replacement monitor and control unit is available for £79

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

On the thread I noticed that Peter has tested the monitor, but has the control unit been tested ?
spanner
spanner

Male

Member Age : 104
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 am

[quote="spanner"] if the cable is at fault it would be a cheap fix at just £3.39

quote]

Its not that simple.

The cable has a 4 way mini Din at one end and 4 pole 3.5 mm jack socket at the other. The moulded shrouds at each end are bespoke and wont interface with standard components. All that can be worked around but in the cable there is a sealed moulding with some components in, there is not a DC connection in the signal path. AS don't know what the components are and Veba do not speak to people on the phone or reply to e-mails so if there is a problem AS swap components till the system works - its an expensive cable if that's not the problem.

I did manage to connect a camera to the 'camera side' of the interface unit and get a picture (ish) on the monitor but couldn't replicate that from the camera end of the cable. I've since spoken to another Kemerton owner who has a similar problem and I'm now thinking both camera and cable are faulty.

No help but the system works fine in my van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next