The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veba reversing camera

5 posters

Go down

Veba reversing camera Empty Veba reversing camera

Post by Toffee Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am

I’ve a problem with the camera randomly switching itself on and off whilst driving along, it works correctly when reverse is engaged and responds to the remote but keeps switching on and off.
I hoping mice haven’t been at work on the loom and it is faulty. What I need is some info regarding the wiring runs how and where it connects to the vehicle? How to disconnect it as it’s very distracting and hopefully someone saying yes mine had that fault.
Basically an hep very welcome.
Thanks
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Veba reversing camera Empty Re: Veba reversing camera

Post by Torbaytimber Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:50 pm

I believe that the connection is under the drivers step.  I had intermittent problems on my SYMBOL that the dealer could not resolve and eventually they fitted a new system with a small monitor mounted on the dashboard. Much better.   The Verba system is rubbish. You are not the first on this forum to have difficulties.
Torbaytimber

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 pm

I had to replace the Veba camera after 4 years, but kept the display. I did it myself and searched for connections to make sure I knew how the system had been installed in the van.  I found connections in two locations. Firstly, in the driver’s footwell, under the narrow plastic trim that follows the curved profile of the wheel arch and which is adjacent to the door seal.  Upon removing the trim it was easy to find, within the cable loom, the plug and socket that join the camera to the display, and also the connections to the vehicle electrics (12V, ground, and reversing light circuit).  Secondly, I found a jack plug connector in the roof void behind the high level brake light. This carried the signal from the camera and supplied power to it. Both these plug and socket connections were wrapped tightly with electrical tape, so were unlikely to come apart. As far as I know, both from my own experience and from reading other posts on here, there are no other connections, but who knows what AS may have done on different vans.

The system should only activate upon receipt of a reversing signal (ie reversing lights on) or, if I recall, when the remote is pressed to turn it on at any time.  I wonder if you’ve found it switching on having just hit a pothole or during sharp acceleration/deceleration. Maybe the remote is the culprit, either by giving a spurious command or through rattling around and one of its buttons being pressed inadvertently. You could remove its battery and see if the fault still occurs when underway.  Another cause could be the reversing switch on the gearbox. You could establish that by disconnecting the reversing signal connection which I found labelled, in the driver’s footwell location. 

If neither of those pinpoint the fault then maybe the display itself is the issue. The Veba camera is certainly not the best and many on here (me included) have reported failure at around the 4 year point, though at this stage it would seem yours is OK. I replaced mine due to a camera failure (indicated by a blank screen when reversing) but kept the Veba display, and wrote up my findings at the link below.

Someone else may be along with experience of the exact same fault as yours, but if not then hopefully these notes may help. Let us know how you get on.

Tim

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for the info that will help the remote isn’t the culprit as I’ve had it in my hand whilst driving to turn it off when it came on, it got so bad it was switching itself on and off continuously every few seconds.
On my journey home from work around 45 mins the display played up less in fact for only 5mins about half way home and I’m wondering if condensation may be the culprit, I’m not suspecting the reverse light switch as the reverse lights aren’t playing up.
There unit must be live otherwise it wouldn’t respond to the remote, so condensation inside the display could short something internally and switch it on, time will tell, and at least now I have a chance of finding the connections and disabling it.
Toffee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 pm

The supply to the system is derived from the EM50 fridge 12v supply - if that's what you have as an interface unit - and the blade fuse connections in that unit aren't great. If you have an EM45, I'm not sure where the supply point is.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:29 pm

As Tim said, the camera only activates when reversing. This is the link to the mod I done a few years ago - it removes the need for the remote control.
The now ‘rear view’ camera will come on when the engine is running - not the ignition on.
The additional switch is not necessary but allows the monitor to be switched off if required.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:08 am

I did a very similar modification to mine in 2012 but for a different reason.

The system power/interface board is located above the cab interior light in my MB adjacent to the radio aerial downlead that had been left with the co-axial screen removed. The system was permanently on with the engine running and the interference it generated swamped the radio signal. Switching the monitor off did not switch the system off so the interference was permanent.

A switch was fitted in the dash adjacent to the gear selection lever and I only activate the system when reversing into a limited space.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:19 pm

Thanks again to all those who posted suggestions/ information, having driven the van again the mirror camera  has so far behaved so I’m very hopeful the problem was condensation
Toffee

Male

Back to top Go down