The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?

2 posters

Go down

VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?  Empty VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?

Post by jakx Fri 30 Aug 2013, 6:36 pm

Has anyone here fitted the VW RCD-310 DAB radio/cd unit into a 56 plate VW T5 Topaz (pre T5.1 face-lift 'wood finish, square style' dash)?

The RCD-310 has a different profile with curved and tapered sides, I have seen 'facia conversion kits' but am unsure of the compatibility and fitting procedure - round peg into a square hole etc etc confused3 

I am aware that a wiring convertor is a requirement along with. of course, a DAB aerial... which I understand is windscreen mounted.

Other than that - I know nothing, any help much appreciated...
jakx
jakx

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?  Empty Re: VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?

Post by -mojo- Fri 30 Aug 2013, 11:19 pm

It's probably worth contacting one of the in-car audio experts that post on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - although it's a T4 site it's got a very good T5 forum section too.

As well as fascia shape differences, mounting differences (the facelift radio is held in place by screws, not the slide-in to release type clips), the extra antenna (which is apparently housed in one of the wing mirrors for the original facelift fitting), you've also got the fact that (IIRC) the 310DAB is a CANBUS radio, and I'm not sure that a 56 plate T5 has CANBUS - so a more expensive interface box may be required.

You ~might~ find that an after-market Pioneer/Alpine/JVC/Sony/whatever is easier and cheaper...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?  Empty Re: VW RCD-310 DAB Radio retrofit?

Post by jakx Sat 31 Aug 2013, 9:12 am

Many thanks for your assistance and advice -mojo- ... wasn't aware of a T4 -T5 forum, have taken a look-see, will seek some further info there.

up!
jakx
jakx

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down