The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can radio

+9
Tengah74
AutoSleepy_Don
Cymro
oldfred
Dbvwt
inspiredron
StewPotch
Lorfal
treetops
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can radio Empty Can radio

Post by treetops Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 pm

This problem has probably been discussed before, but as I am new to the forum any suggestions would be helpful, A/S put nice speakers in the rear of the van but the infuriating radio switches off after 15 minutes, real shame when you want to rest up and can't listen to the radio, seems a stupid mistake by A/S , has anybody found a solution to this problem any suggestions would be appreciated
treetops
treetops

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Can radio Empty Re: Can radio

Post by Lorfal Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 pm

I’m likely wrong.....but also interested in this topic, but if you use the radio via these speakers, doesn’t that use the vehicle battery and therefore the engine needs to be switched on (just on, not running ). If this is the case , wouldn’t it just flatten battery if on for prolonged spells?

Given that we were led to believe the radio does not use the leisure battery, but it does use the vehicle, when parked up we use tune in radio via WiFi or 4G and a little awesome Bluetooth speaker. I am aware however WiFi and/or 4G would need to be an option
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:13 pm

The problem is the radio. It monitors the voltage and knows if it is being supplied by the battery (12V) or by the alternator (14 V).
If it detects it is the battery, then it times out after 20 minutes.
My solution was to replace it with a more functional JVC unit, powered directly by 12V, not via the ignition.
I accept that some will say that if I forget it’s on, it will flatten the battery - I can live with that risk because I remember to turn it off because I can hear it.
Also, it would take days to ‘flatten’ the battery.
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 pm

So, if I need to turn the ignition on to use it, does that mean the daytime running lights will come on too? I remember this happening to a van last year in the pitch next to us. I said to the chap ...’do you know you have left your lights on?’ And he said it was because he was listening to the radio....confused.com lol
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Lorfal wrote:So, if I need to turn the ignition on to use it, does that mean the daytime running lights will come on too? YES 
I fitted a different radio (JVC) and wired it directly to the battery. I can listen to the radio, CD, iPod, etc without turning the ignition on. The down side is I have to ensure that I switch it off when leaving the van or it will flatten the engine battery after a few days.
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:47 am

And presumably you have also lost the steering wheel controls.. Some other folk have found a way round with an aftermarket radio but it can be a bit complex and need intervention by your Peugeot dealer because of the Canbus.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 am

Lorfal wrote:So, if I need to turn the ignition on to use it, does that mean the daytime running lights will come on too? I remember this happening to a van last year in the pitch next to us. I said to the chap ...’do you know you have left your lights on?’ And he said it was because he was listening to the radio....confused.com lol

I’m probably wrong but can’t you turn the radio on (without a key in the ignition) by pressing and holding the power knob for a few seconds? Sure I could on my car.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:36 am

I’ll stick with music and radio via iPad and phone via our wee Bluetooth speaker. It’s tiny wee round thing, sits on the shelf above the microwave in the fairford which does a great job of amplifying the sound.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am

Lorfal wrote:I’ll stick with music and radio via iPad and phone via our wee Bluetooth speaker. It’s tiny wee round thing, sits on the shelf above the microwave in the fairford which does a great job of amplifying the sound.
That’s also what I do Lorfal but just through the phone speaker at present. Buying a small Bluetooth speaker is on my list for this seasons trips.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by StewPotch Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 am

inspiredron wrote:And presumably you have also lost the steering wheel controls.. Some other folk have found a way round with an aftermarket radio but it can be a bit complex and need intervention by your Peugeot dealer because of the Canbus.
No, I still have steering wheel controls - there is an additional wiring loom. Very easy to do and I didn’t have to go to a Peugeot dealer.
I wouldn’t have changed it otherwise if it was too much hassle.
StewPotch
StewPotch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 am

This has been covered a number of times 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I used a different radio for a while but the steering wheel controls couldn't be added.
It became unreliable on Bluetooth so I've put the original back
The settings menu to alter the time are difficult to use as I didn't see what was happening.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm keeping very quiet about this famous 20-minutes cut-off of the Peugeot radio .... because it's never done so on our Nuevo. I've not fiddled with any settings. The downside is that on the rare occasions when we've left on the radio whilst going to bed, it has still been playing a few hours later when I wake up - and then I have to clamber out to turn it off.

Normally, we use an ipod or similar connected to an old Bose portable speaker.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Dbvwt wrote:
I’m probably wrong but can’t you turn the radio on (without a key in the ignition) by pressing and holding the power knob for a few seconds? Sure I could on my car.
Your correct, the ignition does not need to be on, to turn the radio on, but it turns off again after 20 minutes on a Peugeot (I think the 20 minutes can be changed on a Fiat).
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:10 pm

Cymro wrote:it's never done so on our Nuevo. I've not fiddled with any settings.
Is your Nuevo based on a Peugeot or Fiat?
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:12 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Cymro wrote:it's never done so on our Nuevo. I've not fiddled with any settings.
Is your Nuevo based on a Peugeot or Fiat?On a 2015
 It's on a 2015 Peugeot.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Cymro wrote:
AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
Is your Nuevo based on a Peugeot or Fiat?On a 2015
 It's on a 2015 Peugeot.

Cymro
Oooooh that's interesting.  Your van demonstrates that IT IS possible to increase the 20 minute timer up!
The rest of us Peugeot owners should not give up and keep hunting for the solution.

PS I'm assuming you are not leaving the ignition keys in.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:22 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:

PS I'm assuming you are not leaving the ignition keys in.
 Yes, that's correct: no key in ignition (save that it needs a key sometimes to activate the radion, but it can then be extracted, leaving the radio playing.)

I'm afraid I'm not able to help sufferers because as far as I recall I've not changed any settings (and am loathe to delve lest in my ignorance I upset it).  I've always been mystified by the frequent references on the Forum to the 20 minutes cut-off, and have kept my silence.

Cymro

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tengah74 Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Thought you could adjust the radio time too 3 hours using the menu switches.
Tengah74

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:28 pm

The 20 minute cut off cannot be altered on vans after 2015, prior to that there was s procedure but not any more.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Just in case my imagination is greater than my memory, I've just been out to the van to try the radio. I didn't need to insert key in ignition in order to turn on the radio; I listened to it for 36 minutes until (a) the 20 minutes had well elapsed without cut-off; and (b) I was getting cold. I then switched it off.

Either AS or my dealer must have invoked the procedure (to which Paul refers) in order to over-ride the 20 minutes cut-off. My Peugeot Nuevo is the new style introduced in early 2015 (with the narrow hadlights etc).  It has the standard Peugeot radio unit.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:56 pm

You have the best of all worlds Cymro. On my big-eyed X250 from 2012 I have no way at all to get anything into the radio other than CD or MP3 on CD! Because of that I have resorted to a Bluetooth speaker for music from my phone. But that doesn't solve the problems of phone calls en route.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Not really a solution to this radio issue but I just had to have my say. Our Rienza being Ford based has a simple CD player powered off the what was the auxiliary/ leisure battery. At the end of one of the cupboards there is a switch marked "radio isolation". This means no time out with the radio and I can turn it off from the bed. Why can't things be kept simple.  shrugg .
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Dave 418 wrote: Why can't things be kept simple.  shrugg .
  Oh yes!!  This may be off topic and might be better under Grumpies' Gripes, but I suspect that very many of us can think of things or arrangements which were better on earlier vans. That's not to say that new vans don't have improvements - they certainly do. But often they have some things which are on balance inferior, either because they're over complicated (dashboard menus, perhaps) or prone to electronic failure compared with simpler mechanical predecessors (dashboards again) or because they are unnecessary (the dreaded 20-minute cut off, compared with a convenient bedside switch). Our Clubman had a convenient bedside switch which cut off all the interior lights; I miss that!

All this gives rise to the suspicion that those who come up with innovations may not have adequately weighed the pros and cons of the development - from the perspective of the owner who uses the van.

Enough... !
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Our Nuevo had the radio wired to the leisure battery (by AS) and the override switch. I suspect the problem is the canbus wiring now used on the base vehicle that stops such things being done.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:23 am

I also gave up looking for a hack to the 20 minute limit on the Peugeot base as it simply doesn't exist.

Options were to rewire to the leisure battery, replace the radio or go the external Bluetooth speaker route, as others here have also done.

I use an Amazon Echo, powered via USB on the hab battery so it comes on and off with the hab power, no user interaction needed) and it's  connected to the vans MiFi. It produces surprisingly good sound for the size of it too.

This means we can listen to any radio station or play music from Amazon, or on the rare occasion we have no internet we can simply play music from the iPad or iPhone, via Bluetooth to the Echo.

I'd fully recommend up!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It takes up little to no room either.

It's stuck to this shelf using 3M Velcro so can be removed quite easily if ever needed.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next