The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awnings fixing for T5 Topaz.

Go down

Awnings fixing for T5 Topaz. Empty Awnings fixing for T5 Topaz.

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

In a previous life (pre-kids!) we had a VW T2.5 brickie (Autocruise Diamond RV) which we fitted a sun awning to: simply added a plastic awning rail, into which a rectangle of tent-material slid, three poles, job done! I made the thing myself for not very much money in the days when we had a sewing machine. This arrangement was great for keeping the sun and rain off (although a thunderstorm in the Dolomites nearly did for it one evening!

Moving on 25 years(!) we now have bought a Topaz and I want to replicate the above arrangement; I have ordered a Khyam sun-awning, which is a commercially available version of what I made, however; we also have a 3m x 2m drive-away awning, for those times when you are staying a few days and want to be able to leave table/chairs, bikes etc. on the pitch.

To me it seems the best way to accommodate fixing both awnings to the side of the van would be to use a figure of 8 rail clipped into the top of the black gutter/cant rail on the Topaz. As an engineer I had a slight concern about doing this but it seems to be a fairly solid piece of work and ought to withstand everything but tornadoes. In any event, it would take a matter of seconds to un-clip the 8 rail. The reason I'm considering a figure of 8 rail, rather than screwing an awning rail on to the van, is that the Khyam awning cador fitting is 3m+ long but the drive-away cador fitting is a bit less than 2m long.

Have any of you out there used the black gutters to attach awnings to and, if so, any experiences to share?

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Awnings fixing for T5 Topaz. Empty Re: Awnings fixing for T5 Topaz.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Pete
There are various ideas on this forum from previous posts, as an example see

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks John, I had already read that while trawling thro' all the threads about awnings (why do folks use such imprecise thread titles? "Awning fixing" or "Awning advice" can refer to almost anything from Fiamma wind-out, drive-away, fix with clothes-pegs, etc.). confused3

Unfortunately the T5 Topaz black cant-rail does not have that handy groove like the Trooper and Trident, or I would have fitted the C rail suggested, it looks a really neat solution. Both my awnings have the sewn-in rubber/plastic bead, so a "pole" solution will not work.

If anyone has clipped a figure of 8 rail to the top of the Topaz gutter; that's who I'm hoping to hear from!
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi again Pete
Understand the problem. I've had a fair few van conversions and tried many solutions. The best I have found which will cope with very strong winds is to secure the awning over a Fiamma type wind out awning and peg down. Expensive solution (if you dont have a wind out awning), but works really well. See pic below,
Regards
John
Awnings fixing for T5 Topaz. P1010027
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:47 pm

John,
I have not seen a Topaz with a Fiamma before- did you have it fitted during build, or later? I'm guessing the fixing towards the rear involves getting behind the bathroom wall?
Anyway; I have experimented with fitting that figure of eight stuff to the top of the "gutters"; for most of the length it works fine and would withstand strong wind but... towards the front of the van (over the sliding door, just where you need the awning!) the gap between the side of the hi-top and the gutter opens out enough for the fig of 8 to be a bit loose and therefore likely to be lifted off by an up-draught.
I have purchased some ally C-section awning rail and will fit this to the side of the gutter/cant rail using stainless self-tappers; the Khyam sun-awning will slide straight into this and for the drive-away awning I have a length of double-edged Kador, which will use the fig of 8 thingies.

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi Pete
We've had 3 Topazs, (2 Type 4s & 1 Type 5). Two of them had awnings fitted when we purchased them (all retrofitted) and on one of the Type 4s we had one fitted. The max length you can fit is a 3M awning which goes the full length of the roof. One of our T4 vans had a 3M awning the others a 2.5M. The rear fitting is behind the bathroom cabinet.

Good luck with your fixing
Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down