The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing

3 posters

Go down

Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing Empty Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing

Post by daisy mae Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 pm

On my Topaz as I am recovering the seat, went to see how the single seat was fixed and it came off in my hand. not secured. shrugg

On looking further found it was "secured " ( not) by 8 screws 4 at each end through the steel frame, these were put in from underneath into the board on the seat base cushion.

After recovering, and to help me  I would like your opinions on how to secure this seat, not happy with just the screws in the base, going up from  the frame.and they had obviously just pulled out, think it was fate that I looked at it. 

I was wondering if a bolt put in the base board on the seat then recover the bottom of the seat, bolts sticking through the bottom, and put them into holes in the frame with a nut on the seat frame, ideas and opinions please?

I will try to put photos on. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you,
Best regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing Empty Re: Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing

Post by Heanorboy Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Margaret the easiest way would be to drill out where the original self taps screwed into and put some of these over the hole.
They are called Spire clips and are made for both self tapping screws and with threads to take nuts if you prefer. Use these with shake proof washers and hopefully it will solve your problem

David

Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing S-l140

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing Empty Re: Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing

Post by landyman Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:13 pm

If you are going to do it so that the bolts are sticking through the bottom then after covering will you have access to the top of the bolt to stop it turning? If not then Joyner bolts might be the things to use.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
landyman
landyman

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Margaret sorry replied before I saw your second post with the base picture 
Similar to my first post but using captive nuts in the base then you can get bolts from underneath that hardly stick up inside the seat base
Again use shake proof washers 
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Margaret sorry replied before I saw your second post with the base picture 
Similar to my first post but using captive nuts in the base then you can get bolts from underneath that hardly stick up inside the seat base
Again use shake proof washers 
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Heanorboy wrote:Margaret the easiest way would be to drill out where the original self taps screwed into and put some of these over the hole.
They are called Spire clips and are made for both self tapping screws and with threads to take nuts if you prefer. Use these with shake proof washers and hopefully it will solve your problem

David

Topaz Help Please Single Seat fixing S-l140
Thank you very much David.looks good.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

landyman wrote:If you are going to do it so that the bolts are sticking through the bottom then after covering will you have access to the top of the bolt to stop it turning? If not then Joyner bolts might be the things to use.
Good point, silly me hadn`t thought of that.
Thank you landyman

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:02 pm

David I replied before I saw your later one. 

Thank you, I have come to the conclusion I go looking for work.  hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down