The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transit Duetto Horn

2 posters

Go down

Transit Duetto Horn Empty Transit Duetto Horn

Post by T300JTW Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:41 pm

Good evening everyone.

I've got a lovely 2004 Duetto Autosleeper. It's on a MK6 Transit Chassis. She failed her MoT last week as the horn didn't work. I've only owner her about 10 months, so can't say I've ever had the need to use the horn. However, rather foolishly, I took it to the local Transit Centre for it's MOT and they failed it. I organised a new horn from a parts company next door, but when they went to fit it apparently the plug the horn cabling came from had melted and the loom leading in to it ?! The said they would'nt be able to do anything as it wasn't standard fit. I'm now waiting for a mobile auto electrician to come and sort it. Does anyone know what system the horn leads off on a Transit Autosleeper ? Eveeything else works perfectly on the old girl so I don't know what this so alled "Non Standard" set up could be ?? Any suggestions ? Theres no alarm fitted by the way....
T300JTW
T300JTW

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Transit Duetto Horn Empty Re: Transit Duetto Horn

Post by Roopert Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:19 pm

I guess it's possible that someone has fitted a bigger/louder horn without accounting for the higher current it can take (it can make a *big* difference in some cases). It may be worth investing in a Haynes manual for your year of Transit. In my experience the Haynes wiring diagrams are not great, but generally they cover something like that Ok.

One fairly common thing that people do is to fit something uprated and - when finding that the fuse continually blows - simply putting in a bigger fuse. The really bad thing about that is that the wiring tends to overheat in the most enclosed part of the loom, sometimes causing major damage and the need to replace the entire loom.

You may find that the simplest solution is to run in some separate wires if the damage to the existing ones is significant - but obviously you would need to identify the major components such as the horn relay - if there is one.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down