The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto (mk5 Transit) hob

4 posters

Go down

Duetto (mk5 Transit) hob Empty Duetto (mk5 Transit) hob

Post by art Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 am

The shielding on the hob is very restricting , in fact the whole arrangement is very unprofessional , bordering on dangerous. Do I have some parts missing , or is it really just flimsy shield held upright by resting on the behind a couple of screw heads?
It is also surprising that the illumination over the hob is so poor , but this can easily be overcome.
Has anyone modified the original arrangement ?
Any ideas/photos ?
Thanks.
art
art

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Duetto (mk5 Transit) hob Empty Re: Duetto (mk5 Transit) hob

Post by modelman Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:39 am

I'm not familiar with the Duetto setup, but on my Talisman its some alloy hinged sheets that fold flat over the hob, then 'up' to form a heat shield, without them, the wood grained vinyl covering will crinkle & shrivel up.
I agree, it looks a bit mickey-mouse, but I for one like to think I can come up with better ideas, but in all honesty, I can't think of a better way to do it.
P.S. If you  think of a better way, tell me, I'll do it as well.  drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:12 pm

If yours is as Modelman describes, that is how they have been for years. Our early 80's van had exactly the same setup - though on both that and my last A-S I think the sheets were polished stainless rather than aluminium.

The thing is that, when you look at it, there really isn't anything insecure or dangerous about it. The outer folding panels are meant to sit right out against the folded down edge of the panel on the underside of the worktop. They cannot slip inwards because of the screw heads, and the weight of the worktop puts enough downward pressure on it that the whole thing is stable. Also, when folded down there are two layers of metal above the burners, and hence you don't have to allow the whole thing to cool down before you can fold it up and move off.

On ours, the only mod we made was to add a small extra aluminium stop so that the hinged flap on the lid (to direct hot air away from the underside of the unit above) sat in the right position and did not droop down too much...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks mojo, I stand corrected, mine too are STAINLESS, not alloy as I stated, yet another  'senior' moment. scratch head

Forgot to mention, my setup has a twin florescent tube above the hob, this I modified to hi-intensity leds, ripped-out the gubbins & fitted 3 rectangular panels with 48 leds in each, 144 in all, like a police night-sun now. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi there,

These are the Duetto 12v lights modified to take LEDs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With just the ceiling lights I find we have plenty of light for cooking and that's without switching on the G4 LED spotlights.

Have some of your tubes blown by any chance?  think_smiley_46 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down