The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper

4 posters

Go down

Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper Empty Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper

Post by Barry John Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 pm

Hi, 

Having our '96  Ford Duetto fully re-sprayed, the body repair shop have lost the moulding / trim from the rear panel on the passenger side. Any advice or guidance as to where or how I might obtain a replacement would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Barry
Barry John
Barry John

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper Empty Re: Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:46 pm

Surely it’s down to the repairer to source the part?
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper Empty Re: Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:01 pm

Do you mean the panel that covers what would have been a window? If yes then AS spares still list it in their catalogue,  centre left in this screenshot  but that may be for later model....[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:06 pm

In this context, I suspect that "lost" means that they broke it when they took it off? If they can "find" the bits, it may be repairable, as I think they are just vacuum-moulded plastic - there is typically enough space behind to fix them with fibreglass and resin (depending on how badly it was broken).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry John Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:45 am

Tinwheeler wrote:Surely it’s down to the repairer to source the part?
Appreciate that and the repairer is trying to source - without luck as yet. I am trying everything at the moment to help to get the van back! Thanks for the response.
Barry John
Barry John

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry John Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:48 am

Roopert wrote:In this context, I suspect that "lost" means that they broke it when they took it off? If they can "find" the bits, it may be repairable, as I think they are just vacuum-moulded plastic - there is typically enough space behind to fix them with fibreglass and resin (depending on how badly it was broken).
Unfortunately, they do not have any bits, or, so I am told. Thank you for your reply, Roopert.
Barry John
Barry John

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry John Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:52 am

Paulmold wrote:Do you mean the panel that covers what would have been a window? If yes then AS spares still list it in their catalogue,  centre left in this screenshot  but that may be for later model....[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It's the trim that runs the length of the van, about knee high. Will try and attach a pic. Appreciate your response, which is useful in itself.
Barry John
Barry John

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:40 am

Ah - is it what might have been called a "rubbing strip"? An insert that sits in the "blood groove" that runs along the bodywork (apologies for the term, but it was used to describe the feature in, for example, the Rover SD1).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Moulding / trim for a 1996 Ford Duetto Camper Empty Rubbing strip

Post by Barry John Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:12 am

Roopert wrote:Ah - is it what might have been called a "rubbing strip"? An insert that sits in the "blood groove" that runs along the bodywork (apologies for the term, but it was used to describe the feature in, for example, the Rover SD1).
That is exactly it, Roopert, and thank you. Starting to trawl through breakers now.
Barry John
Barry John

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:55 am

They are definitely a Ford part - they were not added by A/S as far as I can tell.

I removed them on one side of my Flair (a SWB version of the Duetto, essentially) when I had rust repaired a few years ago, and I managed to buy a brand new spare from Ford to fit. Unfortunately the brand new spare had been badly stored and was too distorted, so I ended up straightening up my old one and putting it back. They do actually straighten up very well with a heat gun to soften the plastic.

Sadly there's no chance of getting the part now from Ford (I wouldn't think) so a breaker's will be your only chance. I would expect them to be very rare - probably almost all fitted to Transit base vehicles destined for camper van converters.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry John Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:16 pm

Roopert wrote:They are definitely a Ford part - they were not added by A/S as far as I can tell.

I removed them on one side of my Flair (a SWB version of the Duetto, essentially) when I had rust repaired a few years ago, and I managed to buy a brand new spare from Ford to fit. Unfortunately the brand new spare had been badly stored and was too distorted, so I ended up straightening up my old one and putting it back. They do actually straighten up very well with a heat gun to soften the plastic.

Sadly there's no chance of getting the part now from Ford (I wouldn't think) so a breaker's will be your only chance. I would expect them to be very rare - probably almost all fitted to Transit base vehicles destined for camper van converters.
Fortunately, we found trim on an old Nissan car that was the same size. With a little careful shaping, and a white pin-line stripe added, it has done the job perfectly.

Appreciate all of the responses. Thank you for your time and interest. All the very best.
Barry John
Barry John

Male

Roopert likes this post

Back to top Go down