The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Space Heater Dorset ES and Battery advice

+2
Roopert
andyfal
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Space Heater Dorset ES and Battery advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Space Heater Dorset ES and Battery advice

Post by andyfal Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:17 pm

Thinking about it, I would only need the balancing when hooked up for an extended period (Home or Away), any long trips would involve moving the van every couple of days or so. At the moment we do little off grid camping and if the time comes where we increase the off grid I can re-assess.
andyfal
andyfal

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Space Heater Dorset ES and Battery advice - Page 2 Empty Re: Space Heater Dorset ES and Battery advice

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Roopert wrote:Roger - agreed, the characteristics do seem to be slightly different, if the product descriptions are correct. I can see pros and cons to both.

The one thing that annoys me a bit about the Battery Master is that not so many years ago it was £30, and now it's £70 + £10 shipping. Of course, inflation has taken its toll, but there still (to me) seems to be an element of "motorhome owner pricing" in there...

There was a Company selling them on eBay at £58 but he has non listed at the moment.
£69.95 with £3 postage cost here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

£67.07 and £5.95 postage here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

£64.95 and £3.95 postage here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

andyfal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:46 pm

I don't know how many years ago Battery Masters were £30 but I had mine fitted at cost with free fitting when I had solar fitted to my Nuevo 9 years ago, the cost being £60., so today's prices seem very fair.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:50 pm

I can't remember what I paid for our BatteryMaster but we've had it for at least the 18 years we've had the Pollensa and I'm sure we actually bought it for our previous van (Herald Castille) and removed it when we traded it in.

In any event, they are fairly bullet proof being resin bonded and if you work out the annual cost it's peanuts, whereas having it installed has probably saved us  its cost several times over by helping prevent our engine batteries from over-discharging and hence failing prematurely.

However I don't leave it on for extended periods as I now have a couple of CTEK smart chargers, these are preferable for long term use to avoid any possibility of gassing.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:58 pm

rogerblack wrote:I can't remember what I paid for our BatteryMaster but we've had it for at least the 18 years we've had the Pollensa and I'm sure we actually bought it for our previous van (Herald Castille) and removed it when we traded it in.

In any event, they are fairly bullet proof being resin bonded and if you work out the annual cost it's peanuts, whereas having it installed has probably saved us  its cost several times over by helping prevent our engine batteries from over-discharging and hence failing prematurely.

However I don't leave it on for extended periods as I now have a couple of CTEK smart chargers, these are preferable for long term use to avoid any possibility of gassing.
How are you turning it on and off as it’s supposed to be permanently wired in place and would not cause the battery to gas

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:14 pm

Hi Chris, it wasn't the engine battery that was gassing, it was the leisure battery so not the fault of the BatteryMaster. I think the problem is that the ZIG unit on the older vans isn't particularly smart so tends to maintain a charge at a higher rate than is desirable for long term use, whereas the CTEKs have a proper maintenance mode once they've charged (and if required reconditioned) the battery. 

I simply inserted bullet connectors on the leads so I could easily disconnect the BatteryMaster when required. One of these days when it's warmer I will get around to fitting a two pole switch! 

I still sometimes leave the BatteryMaster in the loop when using the CTEK on the leisure battery. However for longer term especially in winter weather I connect the bigger CTEK direct to the engine battery (both batteries have CTEK quick connectors attached) and I leave that CTEK under the bonnet (i.e. at the same location as the battery) so that the temperature compensation works properly.

If you want more info on my gassing experience (!) then see this post:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by andyfal Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:51 pm

Thanks Chris, very interesting and something I will bear in mind.
andyfal
andyfal

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:30 pm

andyfal wrote:Thanks Paul, unfortunately I don't have Solar (no room on the roof). I will switch over on the panel every few days or so.

andy
Andy

Find it hard to believe you have no room on the roof for a solar panel? My Warwick Duo, same van body, don't know what's on your roof layout, easily accepted a 100 w panel....

If it wouldn't fit like that then two or more smaller ones could, total panel size will be the sum of the panels (if 4 x 20w = 80w)
Solar for long term battery charging and battery life is far and away the best option IHMO. Also with the van below we virtually never used an EHU, always plenty power for our needs just from that........
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by andyfal Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi Ian,  I don't have any clear pics of my roof but believe me there is no room for a panel. I have a large Heki roof light up front and a big Dometic air conditioning unit lined up with that. With a smaller roof light and the aerial on the nearside of the AC unit there is no more than 8 or 9 inches of roof space between any of them.
andyfal
andyfal

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andyfal Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:07 pm

andyfal
andyfal

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:16 pm

The Dorset is same length as Symbol, Warwick longer, I'm not surprised you have no room if you have aircon unit.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

andyfal and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2