The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OIL HEATER advice

+5
rogerblack
daisy mae
Dutto
Paulmold
Maureen57
9 posters

Go down

OIL HEATER advice Empty OIL HEATER advice

Post by Maureen57 Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Please can anyone give me a little advice. This was my first winter and I stopped going out for a night stop in my Motorhome (Symbol) in October because of the cold overnight. I didn't fancy leaving the gas heater on all night.  But today I had a great thought!  I could go to a site with electic hook up and plug in an ELECTRIC OIL HEATER.  I would be quite happy to sleep feeling safe with it on to keep this chill at bay.  But I do need some guidence to what size to buy.  Can anyone help with my purchase.  I don't want to blow the fuses on the whole campsite.  Do I buy 500wt or 600wt or 700wt.  I know some campsites may supply as low as 10 amp electricity.  (I won't be going abroad in winter where the ampage is even lower).  The 500wt heater looks neat and small, but will it keep me a nice warm (don't need it hot).  Would be grateful if anyone can give me there experiences.  Thankyou - I've only just joined the Forum and this is my first question.  Thankyou.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleeper NUEVO ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

OIL HEATER advice Empty Re: OIL HEATER advice

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:47 pm

We used an 800w in our Symphony and it was great. You won't blow the electrics with that size.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi there,

We have a Dimplex Chico 700 watt in "Petal".  It's perfectly adequate to keep her warm overnight as well as being low enough on wattage to not trip 95% of EHU supplies!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It looks and performs like an oil-filled radiator but it is much, much lighter. allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:06 pm

I bought a Delonghi Bambino 500w I find it very good, have used it in my craft room and it is more than adequate, had to turn it down low.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:29 pm

We have a Delonghi Bambino which we use in one of two modes depending on the weather: either left on low all night as background heating to take the chill off, or else via a plug-in timer to come on full to warm the van before we venture out from under the duvet.
  shiver 
Do make sure you only use an oil-filled, not a convector or fan heater as we have seen two of these catch fire at home over the years - won't now touch them with a barge pole!

Also if you use a plug-in timer, make sure it's digital; the type with a round dial and pins uses a synchronous motor drive which can seem unbelievably loud in the dead of night!
fingers_in_ears

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen57 Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:45 pm

THANKING EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR THEIR GUIDENCE.  Has given me several things to think about. 
As I mentioned before - this is my first post on the forum and I think its great to get such advice from friendly people. 
Thankyou.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Delonghi Bambino 500w one of the most costly (about £50) but well made and thermostat controls nicely. Cheaper ones at about £20-£25 available everywhere are nearly as good.
We also have a small 1kw fan heater to use for instant heat when required but never leave it un-attended in the 'van.
PS we also have, when the 'van is not occupied, a Dimplex 'Cold Watch' 500w which is in use all the time during the cold weather, but as this is a 'black heat' element care must be taken to make sure it is positioned carefully!! This free's up the Delonghi which we then make use of in the house!
frederic

PPS Bambino £36.84 inc free Del. from Amazon

Last edited by frederic on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : price check)
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:44 am

We tried a 500 watt oil filled radiator but found it to be nearly ineffective. 
We have now purchased a 1000 watt model and heated a 5 by 4 meter room in the house in under an hour so hopefully it will keep us today warm while we're in Scotland in April.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:46 am

One really needs a fan heater to get that instant heat, the small oil or
other 5-600w ones are really only suitable for background heat overnight or on long term protection against moisture condensing when the van is not being used in cold weather! 
Also the larger the wattage the bulkier they are.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Whoa there!!

It very much depends on where you are going to use the heater as to what wattage you choose.

Watts divided by Volts = Amps.  A 1,000 watt heater running at 230 volts will therefore pull about 4.5Amps.

In the UK a 10amp supply is not unusual whereas in France a 5amp supply is also not unusual; and we have found them down to 3Amps!!

One big "boo-boo" that I remember was in France where I complained bitterly that the EHU kept tripping with just the 700watt Dimplex Chico switched on.  The site owner came and checked everything out, moved us to another plug and then moved us to another pillar all with the same result; it kept tripping.

With a Gallic shrug he wandered off and shortly afterwards I discovered that the 500 watt water heater under the sink was also switched on!!  blushes  blushes 

My advice is to keep the heater below 1,000 watts if you plan to use it out of the UK.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:55 am

As a follow on to Dutto I should have mentioned that our Fan heater has only a only 980W element (the other 20w powering the fan) and so should be ok on a 5A EHU. Providing of course that one does not have much, if any, other load connected to the electrics! Certainly when on most Camp Sites here in the UK you should be fine with loads of 10-13A+ and if on a properly installed house supply anything from 13-16A if using the 'blue' plug & socket fused correctly. Mind you, ones own 'van circuit breaker may drop out if only rated at 10A! on a 3KW Fan heater. smile! 
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen57 Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanking everyone for your advice.  It has been a great help.  I was going to buy a 500 wt oil heater before I talked to the forum.  Your guidance has been fab.  I think this forum is great.  I've decided on your advice to purchase a Dimplex Oil free COLUMN HEATER 700 wts. Thankyou to everyone who gave me the confidence to go up to 700wts.  This will not blow up the campsite electrics but will give me instant heat and I will be happy to leave it on all night during cold spells of weather.  I have a small Motorhome (Symbol) so I think it will be just right for the job. My first trip out this year is on 31st March and I expect it to be chilly at night.  I will let you all know how it goes and how cosy my van is during the night.  I'm awaiting upon delivery.  Should be here in a couple of days.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm sure you will be happy with it.  allthumbz  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 pm

We bought a small, low wattage, oil filled radiator from Lidl's when they had them in.  Aldi do something similar but you never know when they are coming into their shops.  A better bet is Dunhelm Mill, they have a selection all the time it seems.   When I last looked, the small one was within a pound or so of what I payed for mine. 
With the small one your not going to roast in your van but we found it kept it warm enough for us.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:49 am

Usually stocked by Original Factory Shop, Poundstretchers and B&M Stores as well. All much the same price around the £20 mark.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen57 Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:09 pm

UPDATE on using DIMPLEX CHICO 700 wts electric heater.   Just come back from first trip out this year.  Thanks to everyone for your advice.  I went with the Dimplex Chico and was very pleased with its performance.  It heated up quickly and kept me 'as snug as a bug'.  The weather over the past few nights were not that cold but it gave me a good idea of what heat it gave out.  Success and very pleased with my purchase!!!!!!
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by tcarne Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:07 pm

hiya,

i use a 600w oil filled electric rad in my symbol - i find this more than adequate for my needs and it also allows me to use the kettle and water heater at same time - worked very well in spain on 6 amp feed over december / january.

tc
tcarne
tcarne

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down