The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carver P4 space heater in Symbol

2 posters

Go down

Carver P4 space heater in Symbol Empty Carver P4 space heater in Symbol

Post by mikebro Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am

Hi,

Anyone know where the "5amp fuse"for the Carver P4 space heater is located? Having just successfully pulled out the other Carver unit (the Cascade water heater) fixed the leak and got it going again, annoyingly now the P4 doesn't even show any lights on the control panel. I'm suspecting a loss of 12 volts, but don't know where to look for the fuse mentioned in the fault-finding chart.

The symbol is a 2001.

Thanks in advance!!

rgds

Mike B
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Carver P4 space heater in Symbol Empty Re: Carver P4 space heater in Symbol

Post by Paulmold Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm

In my Symphony (fore-runner to the Symbol), according to the AS manual, the fuse is in the zig unit above the back door. It's fuse number 6 BUT it is the same fuse for the water heater, so if your water heater is now running, then it either isn't the same fuse or it's another fault. According to the Symphony manual it is also a 10 amp fuse, but in the P4 manual it should be a 5 amp. (The AS manual also refers to the 'Propex' heater but I, like you have also got a P4.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Carver P4 space heater in Symbol Empty Re: Carver P4 space heater in Symbol

Post by mikebro Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Paul. However - panic over. Since I'm still learning about how everything works, I decided to get in to the place where the P4 is fitted and check for voltage there. On my symbol, a small panel in the top of the bed base is held in with two self tapping screws. After removing these it just lifted out and there was the heater. And lo and behold the two pin plug that supplies 12v to the heater was loose. I just pushed it in properly and it now works fine. allthumbz It took a couple of purge cycles to get the P4 going, but I suspected that , as I had had the gas system down for the Cascade repair and there would have been some air in the gas.

BTW I was able to sort out the leak on the Cascade GE by pressure testing the unit on mains water pressure, and carefully tightening up the big nut on the end of the connecting rod until the leak stopped. I had thought about getting new O rings off Ebay, but managed without.

For information for other Symbol owners of a similar vintage (the Symbols, not the owners!!) there does not seem to be a separate 5 amp fuse as suggested by the AS manual. Mine has just the circuit breakers you can see on the panel above the rear door, and there is no separate fuse or breaker for the P4. So, similar to Paul's Symphony but breakers not fuses. On the Symbol, the purple wire on the back of the breaker panel goes all the way to the P4.

Rgds

Mike B
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down