The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Few practical questions about Symbol (2005)

+3
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
PeterBailey
7 posters

Go down

Few practical questions about Symbol (2005) Empty Few practical questions about Symbol (2005)

Post by PeterBailey Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:03 pm

Bought a 2005 Symbol last year.  Very pleased with it overall.  Just a few questions............
1. We like to eat outdoors (weather permitting), but don't really want to carry a fold up/or roll out table on board.  Has anyone found a way to use the tables, supplied with the vehicle, outdoors - I was thinking along the lines of is there a base stand that the table could be inserted into?
2.  The cupboard above the sink, in our model, is fitted with a plastic base with some holes- and velcro straps - realise these are designed to fit around plates etc. but there seems an enormous waste of space as the height of the cupboard is large. Has anyone found a way of converting this into a shelved cupboard? or any other ideas?
3. Lots of the original cupboard catches are failing and AS don't supply this type any more- best replacement?? Magnetic catches?

Any other advice that owners of Symbol of similar age have, would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.
PeterBailey
PeterBailey

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Few practical questions about Symbol (2005) Empty Re: Few practical questions about Symbol (2005)

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:09 pm

Get a Fiamma tripod base and either a short steel leg or another leg with the plastic ends (you then cut the leg to size).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Few practical questions about Symbol (2005) Empty Re: Few practical questions about Symbol (2005)

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:27 pm

We always seem to end up fitting shelves to nearly all our overhead lockers. It’s pretty basic woodworking stuff really.

I’d not want to rely on magnetic catches to hold a door shut when contents might jump around and bump against the door. I don’t know what catches were fitted to yours so I can’t really suggest suitable replacements but I’m sure someone else will.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterBailey Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Thanks....have just looked up the Fiamma tripod and just what I was after. (Anyone selling one?)  Cheers.
PeterBailey
PeterBailey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 pm

If you post a picture of the cupboard catch it’s possible that one of us might recognise it and even suggest a 3rd party supplier who still stocks them.

If that doesn’t give a result I suggest using a “double roller catch”.  Pop that term into eBay’s search field and you’ll find many different types. Some of them can be quite fierce, which could rip the screw fixings out of the cabinetry, so best to use one designed for caravan/Moho use.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by hillhead Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Search on ebay for motorhome cupboard catch and you will find the same style as we have in our topaz - they seem to be a fairly standard type of catch.
hillhead
hillhead

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterBailey Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:07 pm

Will post pics of catches when visit the van at the weekend.  Thanks for responses.
PeterBailey
PeterBailey

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyB Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi Peter, I had a2005 Symbol for 5 years and it had push button catches.Very similar items can be found on Ebay.Before you give up on your catches try giving them a squirt with WD40.Mine uesd to get stiff and seize up when not in regular use over the winter.
Good luck Tony B
TonyB
TonyB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:00 pm

We had a 2003 Duetto and I bought Fiamma tripod as Paul explained. Way back then the tripod was all metal in aluminium alloy, I believe their modern one comes with a plastic tripod.

Our Duetto was 2nd hand and in the cupboard above the sink was a plastic moulding with the Velcro straps where the crockery would have gone. I replaced the moulding because it was cracked and also bought the proper pottery set from A-S. I wish I hadn't they were heavy. Instead we used a Gellert set made of Melamine. It was convenient to have the plates, bowls and mugs in a handy place and I wouldn't have seen any particular advantage in having shelves. The pottery set we got from A-S we've used in the house, though not much remains because of breakages.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:08 pm

PeterBailey wrote:Thanks....have just looked up the Fiamma tripod and just what I was after. (Anyone selling one?)  Cheers.
Several tripods on eBay, one with  short pole and table top.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down