The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome

+9
malc45
Sagabike
phil1855
Peter Brown
merv
Lorfal
Kemerton-bath
Askit
Paulmold
13 posters

Go down

Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome Empty Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Latest edition contains a 'live-in review' of the Symbol Plus. All appears very positive.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome Empty Re: Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome

Post by Askit Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Paulmold wrote:Latest edition contains a 'live-in review' of the Symbol Plus. All appears very positive.

MMM was pretty positive as well but the beds are too wee for me think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome Empty Re: Symbol Plus review in Practical Motorhome

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm

As a past Symbol owner I often felt that AS were missing something by not having a 6m version, particularly given its attractive front lounge.  I'd even thought about what I would do with the extra 600mm in length, and felt a bit more space in the shower room, a bigger fridge and a wet locker would be my preferences. I'm clearly not cut out to be an AS designer because it seems a high end L-shaped kitchen is what it's all about, even within the constraints of a 6m van. 

PVCs offer several distinct advantages, including rear door access and flexible use of space but both of these are surrendered in the Symbol Plus.  No doubt the kitchen is lovely but devoting that amount of real estate to something that can only be used as, well a kitchen, seems to me not a good use of space in a van conversion.

No doubt AS feel it has great brochure appeal, which is rather born out by their need to mention a built-in coffeemaker early on in their blurb.  I'm clearly getting old as I just don't understand how that sells motorhomes.  Moreover, every review I've read seems to think this is a "wow" factor.   What a crazy world, I mean, ... really?  Whatever you think about 1970's drip-feed coffeemaking technology, why would you want to tie up valuable worktop space in that way? 

My prejudices aside, at least it increases the choices available.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 pm

I had a nosey aboutin one a few days ago whilst my van was getting its hab service. My first thoughts were it was really spacious at the front end. Liked the shape of the kitchen but very little work surface and when cooking , my back would be to the living area in the front. Didn’t like that so much . What I love is the ability to throw open the rear doors in dry weather. I wasn’t too impressed with the storage.
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:18 pm

PM mag raved about the storage and the amount of worktops.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am

Hmmmmm lack of worktop space was the first thing I noticed. Maybe that’s most important to me as we both cook like we are at home ! Lol and work top spaceis generous in the fairford
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:51 am

It looks a nice van but a built-in coffee maker?  It reminds me of an AS van produced some years ago that had a built in IRONING BOARD! That caused much amusement and scoffing at the time...Ironing in the van...give over!
merv

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm

merv wrote:It reminds me of an AS van produced some years ago that had a built in IRONING BOARD! That caused much amusement and scoffing at the time...Ironing in the van...give over!

That was the prototype Warwick, first displayed to the public during the 2007 ASOC National rally.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Have they done anything with the lounge seating ? the single seat near the door was fairly pointless, and the bench sofa behind the drivers seat was uncomfortable, having no knee roll and no rake to the back. Having said that the rest of the van was a delight. Spent many happy hours touring.
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Sagabike Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

We have the luxury of the magnificent ironing board in our Warwick.
Must agree it is the most pointless piece of kit in an otherwise excellent van. (Other than to hide 25% of our holiday cash!)
Any suggestions what we should/could do with it?
Sagabike
Sagabike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by malc45 Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

I too was keen to see the new Symbol Plus but my wife soon pointed out a problem.
We have a small dog which needs to go out at about 6 o'clock in the morning. One of us takes the dog out through the rear door with the aid of a step fitted to the towbar, the other makes the tea. We then go back to bed and watch the TV. for an hour or so.                                                                                                    With the new Symbol Plus the bed by the sliding door would have to be made back into a seat and the bed clothes put somewhere before one can get out. The other half if still in bed would be on show for all to see. 
Malc.

Malc.
malc45
malc45
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Boffin Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Have they done anything to improve the access to the offside rear light cluster? On the Stanway you need to cut the material covering the access holes and then be a contortionist to get to the offside lights.
Boffin
Boffin

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm

It's exactly the same kitchen and bathroom by the looks of things?

I think only the lounge layout is different, re a length-ways sofa and a third travel seat which is now obscuring the doorway.

So you'll still need to be a contortionist to get to those rear bulbs smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Boffin Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:29 pm

That's my thinking as well!
It s nice to know AS listen to owner's feedback and incorporate them in new designs. censored!
Boffin
Boffin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 pm

I had a symbol for many years and loved it.
The whole raison d'etre of the Symbol, the reason one accepts the rather compromised bedding arrangement, is that it is a small van and parks in car sized spaces.
Once you go LWB 6m van then that is lost. uncertain
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 am

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:I had a symbol for many years and loved it.
The whole raison d'etre of the Symbol, the reason one accepts the rather compromised bedding arrangement, is that it is a small van and parks in car sized spaces.
Once you go LWB 6m van then that is lost.  uncertain

Exactly why I bought one and also loving it although the shorter length was for fitting on my drive rather than car parks.
The lack of rear doors on the plus would be another deal breaker for me personally but I’m sure will work for others.

Still fighting with the girlfriend as to who gets the toilet side of the double!! Going to try lengthways with the double made up on the next trip, any tips Don?

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am

After much discussion and thought we went for the normal Symbol because of the length which makes parking easier together with the ability to open the rear doors. So A/S have produced a different beast with  all most the same name. But Im sure it will appeal to a different segment of the market who liked the Symbol configeration but want a tad more space in the bathroom. Sales will indicate if they have got the design right.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down