The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater

+6
Paulmold
Dutto
badger
Tony F
boxerman
HildaB
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater

Post by HildaB Mon May 07, 2012 11:21 am

Hi there,

We have just got a Duetto 1995 and have just used it for the weekend. The only thing we could not get to work was the water heater, I think that we did not have enough water in the tank.

The Duetto has a Cascade heater which apparently has a small water tank. Do you have to fill the water tank to the full for this heater to work?

Hope someone can help us. Many thanks.
HildaB
HildaB

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater

Post by boxerman Mon May 07, 2012 11:40 am

HildaB wrote:Hi there,

We have just got a Duetto 1995 and have just used it for the weekend. The only thing we could not get to work was the water heater, I think that we did not have enough water in the tank.

The Duetto has a Cascade heater which apparently has a small water tank. Do you have to fill the water tank to the full for this heater to work?

The Cascade has, as you say an integral tank which holds about 9 ltrs, this fills automatically from your main water tank. The main water tank does not have to be full but obviously you need some water in there to replace the hot water you take out of the heater.
There is a reset button on the end of the tank, which will trip out if you switch the the heater on mains power when it's empty.
Press this button in till it clicks.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Water Tank

Post by HildaB Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

Many thanks for that. I was going to fill with water today but could not get the black filler cap out. When my partner comes home if its not raining too hard(as it has just started) I will get him to open it and fill with some water.

The switch on the Cascade, is this the one situated underneath the bench seat? We have seen this but did not know about the switch. Also there is a switch which is situated in the cupboard with the gas switches. I assume that this has to be on, as it says Water Heater.

Hopefully we will be able to try and will let you know how we go on.
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Re: Water Heater

Post by Guest Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

HildaB wrote:Hi there,

Hi HildaB,

You did not say if you were on EH or gas. For electric follow as boxerman has advised. If on gas,:-
Check, Gas turned on (obvious)

May need a few attempts to purge air out of gas pipe before heater will ignite.

After filling water tank, before turning heater on, purge water from hot taps first, this will ensure there are no air locks in pipes and that the water has entered the heater. (Applies to either on electric or gas)

Hope this is of help to you,

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 pm

HildaB wrote:Many thanks for that. I was going to fill with water today but could not get the black filler cap out. When my partner comes home if its not raining too hard(as it has just started) I will get him to open it and fill with some water.

Not raining here yet

The switch on the Cascade, is this the one situated underneath the bench seat? We have seen this but did not know about the switch. Also there is a switch which is situated in the cupboard with the gas switches. I assume that this has to be on, as it says Water Heater.
It's on the end of the heater, probably under the bench seat (my van isn't a Duetto).
It looks like this:
Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Button10
Sorry about the fuzzy photo, I couldn't find a good one at short notice.

Hopefully we will be able to try and will let you know how we go on.

Please do it helps if we get some feedback.

Rgds
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Water Heater

Post by HildaB Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Found the red reset button, it was in so does this mean that it had not tripped. Got luke warm water so maybe a few more goes we will get hot water. We tried this on both gas and electric.

Should the pump sound noisy all the time?
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm

If you're getting lukewarm water then obviously the heater is working; leave it on a bit longer up! .

As regards the pump, you need to understand that the water system is a pressurised system and the pressure is provided by the pump. When the system is filled and the pump turned on it will operate until the system is at its operating pressure, then stop. If filling from empty you should open the taps to purge air from the pipes, and the pump may run for a couple of minutes until water starts flowing rather than spurting from the taps. When you turn the tap off the pump SHOULD stop almost immediately. ANY outflow of water from the closed system (via tap or a leak) will de-pressurise the system to some extent and the pump will kick in, but it should stop once the outflow is stopped.

Hope this helps

Tony
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon May 07, 2012 2:47 pm

HildaB wrote:Found the red reset button, it was in so does this mean that it had not tripped.
That's right
Got luke warm water so maybe a few more goes we will get hot water. We tried this on both gas and electric.
The water should be hot - 70 degrees I think, not just warm.
Should the pump sound noisy all the time?
No! it should run for a while the stop once it get to a set pressure. You probably have an air lock, fill the tank and then run the taps & shower to bleed the air out. Start at the farthest point, which will probably be the shower. open the cold valve till the air is purged. Shut that and run the hot one, then do the same with the washbasin taps and finally the ones on the sink. don't forget you'll have to keep the trigger pressed on the shower head.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by HildaB Mon May 07, 2012 3:01 pm

All these kind people helping us novices.

As the saying goes "patience is a virtue, found seldom in women but never in men". I think we were expecting too much too quick the first time. We will do as you all have said and hopefully we will get there in the end. I have printed off all your comments to work off.

I will let you know once we have tried again.

Again many thanks.
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by HildaB Sun May 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi chaps,

Still only getting luke warm water from the taps. Have done everything you have suggested. Have made sure there are no air locks in all the taps and shower. It did come a little warmer but not 70 c. Have checked the reset button again and this is in, so it has not tripped.

Is there anything else that you can think of that I can do to see if I can get this working?

I have emailed the chap we got it off and hopefully he may have an idea whats wrong, because it was definitely working when we went to see it.
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty water heater

Post by badger Sun May 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi
Sorry to hear about the heater and how frustrating it is

I tried allsorts -following the advice on here-but to no avail. In the end i discovered the "magic box" behind the igniter/burner(electronic box) was not working.
this is the bad bit!! it cost me £400-00 to get fixed(with a gas check)but all ok now scratch head

Good luck
Badger
badger
badger

Back to top Go down

Post by HildaB Mon May 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi there,

I have now spoken to a chappie who mends various parts of campervans, caravans.

He says that you need to have the heater on for at least a couple of hours before you get hot water especially on electrics. Does this apply to gas as well? I was literally trying to get hot water after a short while. Going to try again this weekend. I think everyone will be glad to see the back of me!

HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 pm

HildaB wrote:............... I think everyone will be glad to see the back of me!

Only if it's better than the front!! wave wave

Somewhere on this Forum "Patience" was defined as a trait seldom found in men - but we will nearly always have a beer or three whilst the hot-water heats up for a shower (and I have been known to wait days before doing the washing up!).

Let us know if the problem really was a matter of patience. If it is then "Result!" allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 14, 2012 6:29 pm

According to my water heater handbook you can use electric and gas together for a faster warm up though I have to say that we get hot water on either gas or electric in around 40 minutes and have never felt the need to use both power sources together.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 pm

My handbook says the same as Paul's and though I've never timed it, I would agree that 40 to 45 minutes should give you hot water on either gas or electric, and like Paul, I've never felt the need to use both at once.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi

I would agree with Paul, about 40mins on either G or E.

Andy
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by HildaB Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 am

As you say Dutto, it was only a matter of patience. Got a result, hooray! allthumbz allthumbz

So it's a big thank you to you all for the help you have given me.

I will give you all topmarks

Many thanks again handshake
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat May 19, 2012 10:22 am

Glad it's OK. big thumbs up
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun May 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Result!! allthumbz

Enjoy. champagne

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Carver

Post by iceman Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Hiya, Got a similar problem with my Duetto. Have filled the water tank and purged all the taps (H & C) and water is flowing freely. Switched on in cupboard above cooker and green light came on but after 10 seconds, red light comes on! Have tried to reset on end of heater but it appears to be in so no joy there. Am I missing something? This is all on 240v. I haven't attempted the gas yet! HELP!!! (The handbook says there is a switch in the wardrobe but there isn't. Could it be located elsewhere? The van is 1994.)
iceman
iceman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Green light then red light sounds like the gas switch not the 240volt which is simply a switch which should glow red when on. Could be located in cupboard under cooker, together with mains electric fuse box and charger switch.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 pm

iceman wrote: Switched on in cupboard above cooker and green light came on but after 10 seconds, red light comes on! Have tried to reset on end of heater but it appears to be in so no joy there. Am I missing something? This is all on 240v

The control you are switching on is for the gas, the red light comes on to show you that for one reason or another,the gas burner is not lit.

The reset on the end is for the mains element, which has no bearing on the gas part. I don't know where the mains switch is on the Duetto, mine's in the cupboard, under the cooker.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty Charger switch

Post by iceman Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:55 pm

HOORAY!!! Switch under the cooker housing not in the wardrobe as stated in the handbook!! 'Er indoors' had put bottles of cleaning fluid in front of it so I didn't see it!! Happy days biggrin Thanks everyone. I love this site. wellhappy
iceman
iceman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by HildaB Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Iceman. Seems you had the same problem. The instruction manual for ours said the carver switch was in wardrobe, then found it with the other switches. This site is great and I got a lot of help from the members. I now get hot water from electric and gas, its great.

Happy camping. allthumbz
HildaB
HildaB

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Duetto Water Heater Empty hot water

Post by murph Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:43 pm

I usually allow about 35 minuites after waking up in the morning before expecting hot water for washing when on gas ( heater off all night) but on the rare occassions that we are on hookup we leave it on all night as the electric waterheater switch is not within reach from the bed, its in the wardrobe.

Brian.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next