The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto

+6
Bulletguy
murph
burlingtonboaby
Tony F
CC
suecamellia
10 posters

Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto

Post by suecamellia Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi,

Still searching for probably 1994/1995 duetto and have come across a 1996 (P) 2496cc turbo diesel automatic duetto. Would a turbo diesel be as good as or better than non turbo and would an automatic be advantageous or disadvantageous. Any advice gratefully received as I am a novice at this.

Thanks,
Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty Re: still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto

Post by CC Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Whats your budget Sue?

Quick search of Google has bought these Duetto's up in the results....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty Duetto

Post by suecamellia Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks very much for all that info., the Kent Motors has already sold, I missed that by a whisker. The maximum I want to pay is 9k which is probably a bit optimistic and why I think I need to buy privately and why it is taking me longer to find the right one. I must be patient !

Very kind of you to forward all that information.

Many thanks,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty Re: still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto

Post by Tony F Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 pm

suecamellia wrote:Hi,

Still searching for probably 1994/1995 duetto and have come across a 1996 (P) 2496cc turbo diesel automatic duetto. Would a turbo diesel be as good as or better than non turbo and would an automatic be advantageous or disadvantageous. Any advice gratefully received as I am a novice at this.

Thanks,
Sue

Turbo diesel will be far better than non-turbo, and whilst I prefer an auto I have no experience of that one, and it really is a matter of personal preference.

Tony

Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks Tony,

Regards,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty Re: Duetto

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:59 am

Hi Sue,
Just a point to note, remember the London Emission Zone. You won't be able to enter or cross London in your Diesel Duetto, TD or not.
Thanks to dear Boris, it would cost you £100 per day! (The reason why we bought a petrol Symphony)
shrugg
Mike and Chris D

PS. Have another chat with Ian at Kent Motorhome Centre, they have stock changing all the time, -long way from Cornwall though!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Mike and Chris,

That's a very good point. I must say I found them very nice at Kent Motorhome centre, as you say a long way from Cornwall but good practice for driving home!

Many thanks,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty Looking for a Duetto

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm

suecamellia wrote:Hi Mike and Chris,

That's a very good point. I must say I found them very nice at Kent Motorhome centre, as you say a long way from Cornwall but good practice for driving home!

Many thanks,

Sue

Hi Sue
Take a look in the newbie thread, campievaner from Manchester is trading up to a Stafford from a Duetto.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks Boaby I will.

Regards,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

Post by murph Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Sue,
If you buy privately it doesnt matter where it comes from as there is no garantee, but if you buy from a dealer usually you are paying extra for some sort of warranty, and it is a good idea to buy if possible from a dealer within a reasonable distance for this reason if poss.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Yes, thanks Brian, you are right, especially if you don't know anything about mechanics! It could be a costly mistake.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Sue

In answer to your question on Turbo or non-Turbo (direct injection) having owned both I can tell you you will get slightly higher mpg from the direct injection than the Turbo. Don't think of the Turbo 2.5 diesel in terms of power performance of a turbo engined car either because it's hardly 'shattering'!

Manual or Automatic box is a matter of personal choice but most Transit Duetto's are manual so that's what you are more likely to end up with.

As for buying Private or Dealer. Prices will be lower if it's a Private seller and you have the advantage of buying from the owner who will at least have some history....a Dealer rarely has that and isn't bothered about it either. Don't be put off from buying Private just because you are 'not mechanically minded'. Take someone along with you who is familiar with the Transit (a local Ford mechanic would oblige if you don't know anyone personally). Better still if that person is knowledgeable with the Duetto.

Points/areas to look at on all Transits are wheel arches....bubbling of paint or visible signs of rusting. Same also on the bottom edges of both rear doors. Another noted Transit rust spot is on the doors just between the window and quarter light. Whilst 'cosmetic', if allowed to go too far this rusting can mean replacement. Fortunately Ford parts/panels are relatively cheap and a good body shop would be more than capable of bringing it back to 'like new' if wheel arches are in need of replacing.

The front cross member, chassis outriggers and coil springs are notable points on older models but that's where it's well worth taking along someone who knows Transits will come in.

At £9k tops you are at the bottom end of the Duetto market but it's not impossible. Though the Duetto is an extremely popular and sought after campervan and you will see many wild prices! It's just a matter of sorting the silly prices from the sensible and being prepared to travel to view. I live near Stoke-on-Trent and when I was searching I looked at one in Brighton, made a fair offer but the owner was sticking out for the asking price....his biggest mistake because I walked away, had time to think about it and decided it wasn't for me. Then found another in Liverpool (not nearly as good as described). Next went down to view one in Folkestone (no good!). Came back home only to find what was to be the right one......down in Reading!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks so much for all your advice. I am hoping to buy privately; as you say at least there will be a bit of history and I am quite prepared to travel to view. I just have to be patient, I am sure there is the right one out there for me somewhere! Watch out for the big cheer when I get it.

Kind regards,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 am

Do be very careful especially if you look at Ebay. One on there this week for 9k on a 2004. Obviously a scam but advert looked
genuine. Old adage applies 'if it looks too good to be true it probably is'.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks, I'm learning very quickly about these scams !
Regards,
Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:04 pm

Spinney have two Duetto's in stock think they were both 1996 and at first sight looked in good nick (Today) they may be on their web site, not looked
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks Roger, I have just purchased my first Duetto and hope to pick her up this week but thanks for your help

Regards,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:01 pm

suecamellia wrote: I have just purchased my first Duetto and hope to pick her up this week

Sue

That is good news Sue. up! Let us know how you get on and please post some pics.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:17 am

Bet you cant wait now Sue to pick it up. I always think the period you are in now is the most frustrating as you want to start doing things
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:38 am

Nice on Sue. Did you get private or dealer in the end?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by suecamellia Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:50 am

Hi,

Private, I haven't actually seen it yet (paid for it), I sent a friend and she thought it looked very nice and clean (inside) so fingers crossed.

Actually having spoken to the owner on the telephone he seems a very nice genuine chap and so I am trusting my gut instinct (it's a female thing I think) !!

Many thanks for your support.

Regards,

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty searching

Post by murph Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi Sue ,
Glad you foundyour Duetto at last and I hope your gut instnct is right, now you need to obtain all the plates cutlles and all the other things that make a van livable in.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto Empty Spinny Duetto's

Post by Tommy-Darcy Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:04 am

Quote <Spinney have two Duetto's in stock think they were both 1996 and at
first sight looked in good nick (Today) they may be on their web site,
not looked>

Tommy-Darcy is one of these, and really tidy with service history!

Congratulations Sue on finding your Duetto, may you enjoy many happy touring miles still searching for an Auto-Sleeper Duetto 248932417

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62

Back to top Go down