The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kingham water pump upgrade

+2
Solaris
treetops
6 posters

Go down

kingham water pump upgrade Empty kingham water pump upgrade

Post by treetops Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:24 pm

am considering fitting a shurflo pump to my kingham , if any one has fitted one to this particular van ,i would appreciate there comments to how well it performs instead of the submersible pump, would also like to know where the access hatch is to gain access to the submersible pump, at the same time i would also fit a fiamma expansion tank to reduce the stop start of the pump,
treetops
treetops

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

kingham water pump upgrade Empty Re: kingham water pump upgrade

Post by Solaris Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 am

Look at thread on Technical chat forum. Detailed article on how to change without accessing Whale pump. Also have a kingham so will be interested in how you get on
Solaris
Solaris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:16 pm

There's also a factsheet here....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by treetops Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:15 pm

thanks for that link to an existing job, i did have a good look underneath and inside the van this morning and realised that there is no access to the existing pump unless you drop the whole tank underneath, seems strange that autosleaper don't fit a hatch, more the reason for me to fit an external pump , it was interesting to read the existing pump is left insitue  as the restriction of it did concern me ,
   ,i will be fitting all the components in a few days time and will report on the finished job,
treetops
treetops

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi ,I left the submersible in situ ,works perfectly fine, if you want to see it fitted , my post "reduced water pressure" has a couple of photos showing the set up, best of luck , really worth doing ,my pump failed after only 2 Yrs!  Kind regards        Paul wave  PS   love Skye up!
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by IanD Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi. I too am intending replacing the Whale submersible with a Shurflo in my Kingham. Could anyone tell me which model Shurflo is best for my van? I am particularly wondering about the psi of the Shurflo replacement being approx to the Whale.
Thanks to our colleagues. Ian
IanD
IanD

Male

Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:14 pm

I would think the lowest power Shurflo at 20psi should be fine. That was the model last fitted before fitting submersible pumps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by treetops Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:15 pm

I have ordered a 20 psi pump, as this is slightly higher than the submersible pump, was considering the 30 psi but as all the system is low pressure this will be a safer option as it is known that too high a pressure on the hot outlet side can sometimes cause the push fit fittings to come apart if they don't have inserts inside the pipe, as mentioned i will reply after all is fitted with the outcome
treetops
treetops

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanD Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks for the advice Paul re 20 psi pump which I will install using guidance from some other members posts. Ian D
IanD
IanD

Male

Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

kingham water pump upgrade Empty kingdom pump upgrade the finished job

Post by treetops Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:38 pm

In my earlier thread i did mention installing the shureflow pump and fiamma expansion vessel , well i hope this info helps others thinking of doing this i will try to put a couple of photos on at the end to show finished job , it has made a vast improvement the new pump is very quite ,the expansion tank is a very good addition as if a small amount of water is drawn off the pump will only cut in when the vessel chamber is nearly depleted , then when the pump does cut in it runs for a few seconds to build up the pressure again, when the taps are turned on for steady while the pump will run steadily and smoothly, i have left the pump factory pressure setting at 2 bar but this can be simply adjusted up or down if i want to but am happy with this pressure, the expansion vessel i have set at about 1 bar to allow for expansion inside to hold a small amount of water, as said the whole system runs very smooth and quite.
 there is one other mod i have done which i feel is important, i have taken away the crappy blue drain pipe off the tank including the elbow, i found a 28mm compression elbow fits nicely on this then i have reduced to 15mm and with a tee piece have put a  lever valve on for draining when required and take a 12mm pipe off the tee to the filter ( additional item available for pump) on the pump, this has stopped any cavitation in the pump which was a nuisance with the original sett up , other members may have took the supply through the existing pump but i feel that can cause restriction and if it gets blocked thats other problem but mainly if you think about one of the problems with the original pump and cavitation is that when your driving along and the pump is sloshing around its so liable to gradually get air trapped in it and the pipework from it, it should be a straight forward job for most people the parts of any plumbing items for the tank connection are readily available at places like screw fix or plumbers merchants, the whole job cost about £110 which i think was well worth it (shame AS didn't do it in the first place !!)
 any of the Whale external additions that came with the van will still work as normal[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/url]
treetops
treetops

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bainzie Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Tidy job there Mr Treetops   up!
bainzie
bainzie

Male