The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham water pump exchange shurflo

+6
bikeralw
Terry M
rgermain
Gromit
Paramedic
Nickandpaddy
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kingham water pump exchange shurflo Empty Kingham water pump exchange shurflo

Post by Nickandpaddy Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Has anyone detailed information of how to fit new shurflo water pump and parts required on a kingham  Looking to upgrade. Is water pressure better.
Nickandpaddy
Nickandpaddy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Kingham water pump exchange shurflo Empty Re: Kingham water pump exchange shurflo

Post by Paramedic Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum. Lots of advice will follow as many have fitted shurflo.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Nickandpaddy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Kingham water pump exchange shurflo Empty Re: Kingham water pump exchange shurflo

Post by Gromit Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Always worth doing a search.

I posted detailed instructions only recently.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These were for a Nuevo, but the principle is just the same.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickandpaddy Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:04 pm

I did read that but was looking for it done on a kingham and what to buy for the job.
Nickandpaddy
Nickandpaddy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:12 pm

I've never seen a post for fitting a Shurflo to a Kingham.

That doesn't mean there hasn't been one of course. Paulmold will know - he's our resident ace researcher!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 pm

I fitted one with no problem using the post as gromit has said, on my Warwick.
Well worth it.
------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Nickandpaddy Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Did you get better water pressure
Nickandpaddy
Nickandpaddy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:39 am

Yes, but more important, I got water! No more air locks, having to position myself on the sink and sucking on the tap or turning pump switch off/on constantly or driving around the block!
Never found pressure a problem before or after, I have a 20 pump.
I left the sub pump in place, hardest thing was finding a position for the pump near the existing water pipes, not knowing your van, I cannot help sorry.

As Gromit has said many times "go for it"

Richard

------------

Last edited by rgermain on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks Richard.

As Gromit has also pointed out many times, if your Shurflo ever did go wrong, you can get at it easily to fix it, without having to jack the van up and drop the water tank.  oh_blast!

This is just a bit important ( happyyes ) if you are on holiday across the channel. You can buy a new Shurflo almost anywhere, and to replace it all you need is a screwdriver and half an hour!

That alone was reason enough for me to replace the unreliable Whale with the Shurflo. Apart from that, it works!!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:28 am

Gromit wrote:Thanks Richard.

As Gromit has also pointed out many times, if your Shurflo ever did go wrong, you can get at it easily to fix it, without having to jack the van up and drop the water tank.  oh_blast!

This is just a bit important ( happyyes ) if you are on holiday across the channel. You can buy a new Shurflo almost anywhere, and to replace it all you need is a screwdriver and half an hour!

That alone was reason enough for me to replace the unreliable Whale with the Shurflo. Apart from that, it works!!

Dave
Great reply Dave, totally agree with all you say.

Not looked back since. smile! Wish I had done it sooner, after leaving it on my work bench for a year. up!

Let's hope we get back across the channel one day soon.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Terry M Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:09 pm

Converted last year and changing to a Shurflo is best modification I have made - no more dropping the tank to replace the broken Whale and better pressure.  I have put pipe insulation behind the swing wall in the shower though (Nuevo 2014) to combat the vibration noise from the unsecured hot and cold feeds.

Don't know why its not the standard fit. The water system now just seems much more robust, easier to service and those air locks when refilling after drain-down are a thing of the past..................

Yep I'd convert every time -  our friendly habitation service technicians seem to be familiar with the modification, I think they've done a few!

Terry
Terry M
Terry M

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Do AS ever read all these threads regarding the submersible/Shurflo debate?
Owning a van from the era when Shurflo pumps were a standard fitment, and NEVER once having had a water flow problem in ten years, I read the tales of unreliable submersibles on newer vans and wonder if this is progress.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 am

Terry M wrote:Converted last year and changing to a Shurflo is best modification I have made - no more dropping the tank to replace the broken Whale and better pressure.  I have put pipe insulation behind the swing wall in the shower though (Nuevo 2014) to combat the vibration noise from the unsecured hot and cold feeds.

Don't know why its not the standard fit. The water system now just seems much more robust, easier to service and those air locks when refilling after drain-down are a thing of the past..................

Yep I'd convert every time -  our friendly habitation service technicians seem to be familiar with the modification, I think they've done a few!

Terry
I have just put foam insullation onto the pipes in my swing out shower wall having fitted  a Shurflo last year. After fitting the new pump the noise and pulsing when using the bathroom taps was diabolical. I was trying to work out where I could fit a Fiamma style accumulator. However, after putting pipe insulation on those pipes the pump is whisper quiet. Not just that but the pulsing has gone at slow trickle flows. It seems that the insatkon, as well as stopping the plastic wall acting as a drum skin,  has also stopped the pipes from jumping, thereby stabilising the flow. 
When I removed the access hatch in the back of the swing wall I found that the corrugated waste pile had come off its rubber spigot. Now held tight by  a cable tie.
Altogether a fruitful half hour - but cramped working conditions.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Casagodfrey Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:13 am

Had mine swapped from Whale to Shurflo last month. Whale pressure switch removed as part of the mod. Original whale submersible left in place. £56 for the new pump and £120 for the installation including a hab service. Work was done by our regular mobile caravan service guy. Great improvement on our 66 Broadway.
Casagodfrey
Casagodfrey

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK LT

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am

Casagodfrey wrote:Had mine swapped from Whale to Shurflo last month. Whale pressure switch removed as part of the mod. Original whale submersible left in place. £56 for the new pump and £120 for the installation including a hab service. Work was done by our regular mobile caravan service guy. Great improvement on our 66 Broadway.
Bargain! I pay that just for a hab check. up!
--------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Casagodfrey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 pm

Inspiredron
You only need to connect to one side and blank the other as I did when fitting in  the space I had but has made the system much better [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 pm

Never found the need for a tank myself. Works fine with just the pump.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 pm

glyne lock wrote:Inspiredron
You only need to connect to one side and blank the other as I did when fitting in  the space I had but has made the system much better [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I hear you but the point that I was making was that now I have padded the pipes I no longer have ANY the need for an accumulator. Before padding if was dreadful if I ran the cold bathroom tap at anything less than full flow. The noise was awful as the pump came on and off. That was only a problem with the basin tap in the swing wall - everything else quiet. Hot tap also noisy but less so as hot tank acts as accumulator. I removed access hatch at rear of swing wall and could see cold tap against shower side of void. Putting hand down I could feel that pipe was not described in any way. I fed a length if foam insulation over both pipes and noted that it stopped the pipes from moving in the void. I was AMAZED at the difference it made, not just to noise level but also to the amount that the pump chattered. Now, if I turn the cold on to the slowest possible stream the water runs for a few seconds, followed by a pulse or two from the pump and so on. And all very quiet! I can only assume that as well as using the swing wall as a resonator the pipe was jumping in the void creating more turbulence which affected the flow.
BTW  I wouldn't want to use just one connection to an accumulator because stale water will stay in it. That's why I didn't get a Whale one.

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:39 pm

I had a similar noise problem with our 2007 Topaz, it only happened after AS replaced the complete bathroom area due to plastic cracking. The pump was behind the drop down basin, bit hard to get at, but managed like you to add some pipe insulation, which fixed it.

I guess, or I know, AS did not put it back correctly, as before hand it was hardly audible.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:13 pm

inspiredron
when I turn on the tap the pump takes much longer to come on as its using the water under pressure in the expansion tank  and at night I turn off the pump so will use the water under pressure in the accumulator . as long as you only use a short feed to the accumulator from the pressure pipe the water will  get plenty of movement
richard
you might think yours work fine. when you have had this unit fitted you notice the difference and it purpose and is the reason other manufacturers fit them from new
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:29 pm

I think that it makes some difference if you follow the Shurflo recommendation of putting 50cm minimum of flexible pipe next to the pump and don't connect the semi-rigid to it directly - though I must say that until I added the padding it didn't do enough.
Each to his own - I'm happy now!  😀👍👍

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 pm

inspiredron wrote:I think that it makes some difference if you follow the Shurflo recommendation of putting 50cm minimum of flexible pipe next to the pump and don't connect the semi-rigid to it directly - though I must say that until I added the padding it didn't do enough.
Each to his own - I'm happy now!  😀👍👍
Me also, happy with just my pump change over. up!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Casagodfrey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Having the accumulator is better for the pump and the pressure switch as it reduces the times it cycles on/off just to lift the pressure (dry cycling).

The original shurflo in mine was screwed to a panel behind the drivers seat which acted like a drum so was extremely noisy. Remounted it on to a solid surface and now can hardly hear it when it runs.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:36 pm

the shurflo recommendation of the flexible pipe is to allow  for the movement of the pump and says not to use a rigid pipe as this may CRACK THE PORTS nothing about semi rigid pipes and it says about fitting a filter
Hairyfool
well done nice to see someone under stands the purpose of a accumulator. the tap runs much smoother  and makes the pump run much quieter and with its operation helps the life of your pump  just some  of the reasons for fitting a accumulator
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:25 pm

I see many have fitted a Shurflo pump, but do not say what model. The trail 7 has 2 pressure options. The trail 10 may give too much water to the taps and shower?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next