The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL Questions

4 posters

Go down

Warwick XL Questions Empty Warwick XL Questions

Post by tiffy Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:17 pm

Still awaiting the delivery of new (to me) 2014 Warwick XL, delay mostly due to MOT testing backlog in N.I., now awaiting delivery/replacement of the reversing camera, hopefully will take delivery of the vehicle this week.

Having discovered (hopefully) how to attach images, could some kind forum member(s) advise on the following, my supplier is quite some distance from my home location so I don't currently have easy access to the van.
(Images copied from the dealers web site)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
What's in the "black enclosure" below the TV antenna PSU/Amp on the wardrobe RH wall ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Are the two wall plates on the wardrobe, rear external wall, presumed to be 12V./Antenna/Satellite connection points, duplicates of the two wall plates visable on the rear wall of the wardrobe, if so why the duplication ?

I hopefully will receive a full A-S manual with the vehicle which should reveal all, just trying to prepare for TV installation and get ready for the road while we still have some "summer" left.
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Questions Empty Re: Warwick XL Questions

Post by Paulmold Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 pm

I think youll find the black box is on the reverse of the control panel, containing the connections to it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

My black box is located in an upper locker , it contains the coax junction box, my external coax cable leads into it, also the roof TV aerial coax joins it too! Two female sockets for satellite and external connection are underneath it.
Backing plates could be for the TV bracket?? X 2
Hope you enjoy your Warwick XL
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Paulmold wrote:I think youll find the black box is on the reverse of the control panel, containing the connections to it.
Many thanks for the response.

Ahh, that makes perfect sense considering the very thin wardrobe wall.

Was just working from memory and the photos, didn't think the box aligned with the two panel plates on the outer wall, obviously does.

Presumably the 6 little "blanking plugs" visable on the wardrobe outer wall were for a TV mounting bracket implemented by the previous owner.
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:56 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:My black box is located in an upper locker , it contains the coax junction box, my external coax cable leads into it, also the roof TV aerial coax joins it too! Two female sockets for satellite and external connection are underneath it.
Backing plates could be for the TV bracket?? X 2
Hope you enjoy your Warwick XL
Boaby

Thanks Boaby.

Good to know the cable junctions are in there, from reading many forum posts on the subject it would appear that the TV/Satellite terminations from the external socket can be very hit and miss with respect to routing and terminations, hopefully should be able to sort that out as I intend to use both site "piped" TV facilities where available and satellite connection to my "flat panel" dish, not both at the same time obviously.
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:06 pm

tiffy wrote:Are the two wall plates on the wardrobe, rear external wall, presumed to be 12V./Antenna/Satellite connection points, duplicates of the two wall plates visable on the rear wall of the wardrobe, if so why the duplication ?

Any further ideas on this anyone ?
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 pm

Regarding the duplication of TV sockets, we have a similar arrangement in the Kemerton.  I established that the red/yellow/white phono sockets are simply connected together (and not to anything else) so in effect are wired in parallel.  It enables you to have a TV entertainment device such as a Humax box or a DVD player (or Satellite box I guess, but of which I know nothing) out of sight in the wardrobe and patch it through to the TV using the sockets.  

The same parallel arrangement should be true for the sockets marked coax/sat, but you'll find that AS have a curious track record in connecting coax cable.  It's not unknown for these sockets to be wired incorrectly and for coax connections to be poor, shorting across between signal and ground. You'll find several posts on here regarding this. Since your van is pre-owned, hopefully the previous owner will have corrected any issues.  Bear in mind there's an external coax/sat socket on the side of the van, so worth checking that too for when using an external aerial connection.  It's easy enough to do a continuity test on the TV cabling.

Final thought, concerning those screw holes for a TV bracket on the wardrobe panel ... the panel is likely to be only 12mm chipboard so there's inadequate thickness to get a good fixing.  I advise drilling through the panel and using M8 nuts, bolts and washers to spread the load and get a solid fix that will cope with UK potholes. 

Enjoy your new van!

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:26 am

Tim,

Many thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Yes, will certainly give the signal cabling runs and all terminations a good check over, not yet sure if the external socket is dual TV/Sat, I believe both variations are common, one "F" connector termination would suffice really provided the cable used is of sufficient quality for satellite service, could then be used for a "piped" TV feed on site as required but obviously not TV and satellite service at the same time.

Appreciate that the wardrobe wall is a very light structure and would plan to use machine thread bolts/nuts and a metal or wood ply plate in the inside wardrobe wall to spread the load of the TV mounting bracket.

Have always used satellite service throughout the UK and Ireland, had a "Camos" dome on my Hymer "A" class until the Astra 2 satellite change over a few years ago when the change of transponders rendered the unit useless, the older units could not be re-programmed to the new transponders or so the suppliers claimed !
Now use a flat panel "dish" on a tripod which works quite well and is easily stored.
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:31 pm

You're very welcome.  The external socket is dual TV/sat.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:You're very welcome.  The external socket is dual TV/sat.

Thanks again for the additional information, lets hope my 2014 model is the same perhaps even with everything connected !

Was hoping to take delivery this week but dealer is still waiting on a replacement reversing camera, likely not worth paying road tax for this month now anyway, hopefully can take delivery on "trade plates" and get a chance to get sorted and ready for the road on 1st. July.
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Having been in possession of my Warwick XL for 2 weeks now and had time to fit my new Avtex terrestrial/sat TV thought I would give a report on my findings with respect to some of the questions I posed on this thread.

The external TV/Sat socket was fully wired, "F" socket for Sat and co-ax socket for TV as per normal standards.

The external Sat socket was wired in direct parallel to both internal Sat "F" sockets, one on the wardrobe internal rear wall and one on the wardrobe external wall where the TV is normally mounted.
The internal wardrobe Sat socket is intended for use with a Satellite receiver where the audio/video outputs in this case would be transmitted through the three RCA/phono sockets to the external TV mounting point the three RCA/phono sockets being a parallel connection.
This mode of operation was not used in my case as my Avtex TV has direct LNB input, in fact dual LNB inputs although the "F" socket arrangement only caters for one LNB connection, anyone requiring dual LNB operation (recording one sat channel while watching another facilitity) would have to connect a dual cable directly to the sat dish.

The external TV socket was wired directly to the wardrobe external wall co-ax socket with a parallel connection to the roof antenna amplifier output, no connection to the wardrobe internal co-ax socket, should never be required.
This works perfectly well when running from the roof antenna with nothing connected to the external TV co-ax socket provided the terrestrial signal is a good strength/quality.
However, when using a "piped" TV connection, in my case for test purposes a tap from my domestic TV distribution system, I found there was severe signal attenuation associated with the "live" roof antenna amplifier, turning down the gain control helped a lot then I realised that there was in fact an On/Off slide switch on the amplifier on it's "blind side", switching off the amp. completely restored the piped signal to it's normal strength/quality level.

As I always run the Avtex TV on 12 V. and never bother with the mains adaptor, thought that the rather bulky, cigarette lighter plug was quite ugly sticking out of the socket, decided to thread this through the wardrobe wall (quite easy when the socket is unscrewed) and wire in a new in line cigarette lighter socket at the rear in parallel with existing socket, the bulky Avtex plug now resides in the "black box" mounted on the internal wardrobe wall.
Only a very small "U" had to be filed in the TV wall socket plastic trim plate to accommodate the power cable exit.

Apologies to the forum old hands if I have been stating the obvious, perhaps my experiences will be of some use to some of the newer, less experienced members with respect to Sat/TV connections which I know from many other forum posts can be hit and miss with A-S wiring being sometimes doubtful.

Again, many thanks to the members who responded to my questions raised earlier in this thread.
tiffy
tiffy

Male

Back to top Go down