The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of newbie questions!

+9
Quilter
Constan42
Gromit
rogerblack
carlc
daisy mae
RogerThat
dbroada
Sally
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A couple of newbie questions! Empty A couple of newbie questions!

Post by Sally Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Hi

If anyone can help with these, it would be helpful. 

1) Am I meant to empty the toilet flush tank after every trip, then refill the next time out. Or can it stay in the tank, with some pink fluid in. 

2) I parked up in a pay and display car park. But on walking out, I saw that it had a sign saying ‘no vehicles over 2500kg unladen weight’.  I was a bit surprised as there were a couple of bays marked for coaches. But that aside, I assume we can’t put something like a Sussex Duo in car parks marked with that weight restriction.  Is that correct, as I’ve never given it any thought up to now. 

Thanks for the help with things that some will find really obvious. 

Sally
X

Last edited by Sally on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

A couple of newbie questions! Empty Re: A couple of newbie questions!

Post by dbroada Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 pm

1, I never did, or at least not until the winter drain down.

2, unladen weight is before water, people and other things. This came up recently in a speed limit discussion and it doesn't appear to be easy to determine.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:34 pm

1) Same here, I only ever drained down the cistern when the winter came (risk of freezing) and I wasn't using the van.

2) I've never bothered before, I figure most traffic wardens would have no idea what my vans unladen weight is!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 pm

That’s (both) good to know. 

Another I’ve just thought of; can I empty grey water at the Elsan point, or is that seen as an absolute no no.
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Sally wrote:That’s (both) good to know. 

Another I’ve just thought of; can I empty grey water at the Elsan point, or is that seen as an absolute no no.
not normally expected. Most sites have separate grey water drains.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 pm

If you mean waste water,

on a CL I go to regularly , that is the only place to empty the waste water tank. other sites may have different arrangements,

I just know drinking water is for fresh and not empty grey or as some have been  known to do ,  on another forum black waste , rinsing black waste containers out with the fresh water tap.instead of the  dedicated black waste area. uhhh!!!!takes all sorts I guess.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:02 pm

daisy mae wrote:I just know drinking water is for fresh and not empty grey or as some have been  known to do ,  on another forum black waste , rinsing black waste containers out with the fresh water tap.instead of the  dedicated black waste area. uhhh!!!!takes all sorts I guess.
That seems pretty bad to me and I’m a newbie!

Sally
X

P.S. Chatsworth could not have been hotter!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Hope you enjoyed Chatsworth,? it is lovely there, especially their  Christmas .

Best wishes,
Margaret goneoff sorry

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by carlc Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:51 pm

Don't put pink in tank.can cause issues if left in tank to long.put it in a spray bottle use when needed
carlc
carlc

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:59 pm

carlc wrote:Don't put pink in tank.can cause issues if left in tank to long.put it in a spray bottle use when needed
There’s so much to learn it can do your head in. I thought the pink was specifically for the tank?  I put green in the cassette and pink in the flush tank.   Is that wrong?

Should it just be plain water in the flush?  It will often stay for a month or so.

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Sally you will have problems with your pump with the pink stuff, took me weeks to get rid of the gunge and then  I had a new pump fitted , didn`t know then what I know now. I now  just put in plain water, that is all you have in a domestic toilet , some times  I use a spray bottle ,
In cassette I use washing liquid / tablets

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 pm

daisy mae wrote:Sally you will have problems with your pump with the pink stuff, took me weeks to get rid of the gunge and then  I had a new pump fitted , didn`t know then what I know now. I now  just put in plain water, that is all you have in a domestic toilet , some times  I use a spray bottle ,
In cassette I use washing liquid / tablets
Hi Daisy

I’ve only used it once. I put some in about 3 weeks ago and topped the flush tank up. I used it that weekend, then I’ve ‘flushed’ this weekend. Will that have done damage straight away?  Or should I get away with it if I use plain water from now on. I’m not due to go back to the van for another 4 weeks. 

Please tell me I haven’t damaged the pump/toilet. They told me in the shop that it was suitable, it was sold in a double pack. 

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:26 pm

The older pink fluid did give rise to the black stuff but the newer stuff, labelled "Plus" is good.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 pm

dbroada wrote:The older pink fluid did give rise to the black stuff but the newer stuff, labelled "Plus" is good.
I’m not sure if it was the ‘Plus’. I bought it from the dealer a couple of months ago.

Is one use probably okay if I now stop using it?
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Sally wrote:
dbroada wrote:The older pink fluid did give rise to the black stuff but the newer stuff, labelled "Plus" is good.
I’m not sure if it was the ‘Plus’. I bought it from the dealer a couple of months ago.

Is one use probably okay if I now stop using it?
I would expect a recent purchase to be the plus bottle. I used it for 18 months before our van was stolen without any obvious problems. I can't commeńt on the problems others have experienced.

This van hasn't got a flush tank so we have some diluted pink in a mister and use that.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Some manufacturers like Thetford make products tested and intended for specific uses - in this case, pink for the flush tank and green or blue for the holding tank.  However folks here will make different suggestions, sometimes to cut expense, sometimes based on performance based on their own experiences. 

The Thetford pink rinse fluid is known to cause a build-up of black 'stuff' (algae?) when left for long periods in the flush tank. I have seen claims that the newest formula (now labelled Aqua Rinse PLUS?) has eliminated this problem, however I am still working my way through an old bottle so can't tell yet. My flush is manual so I have no concerns about pump failure.

Many folks spurn the use of manufacturers' recommended products in favour of alternatives - for example using less expensive supermarket brands of bio washing powders, tablets or liquids such as Lidl Formil in the holding tank (and the flush tank?).  Personally, I am fairly ambivalent - I tend to buy Thetford products if they are on special offer but if I run out I have used Formil and find it OK, but not quite as effective. However others will swear by it.

You can decide, perhaps after trial and error, which is best for your own personal needs/circumstances.  
However the main thing is to relax and enjoy your time using the van.   up! 
It'll all become second nature before long and you'll be advising others.    allthumbz

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:58 pm

Relax Sally - you won't have done the slightest damage to anything - except your blood pressure!!  rolleyes

As Dave said, the older stuff did produce the dreaded black bits after a time, even though the makers would never admit to it. Nevertheless they have now produced the "Plus" version which is reputed to be better, but I haven't used it so I can't say.

I suggest you carry on using your bottle of the pink stuff until it's empty, then ask yourself why you need it. The only purpose I can envisage is to produce a more pleasant smell than the blue stuff in the cassette.

The whole scenario is fraught with urban myths. The blue stuff is heavily advertised for its ability to break down solids - a nice euphemism for Richard the Thirds!!  Whistle1 But why would you want to break them down, thus exposing more surface area and increasing the nasty niffs??

If they will come out of the spout when you empty the cassette, what more do you want!!

Many members use Lidl or Aldi bio washing liquid instead of the blue stuff. It smells even worse to me, but most people think it's OK, and it does just as good a non-job as the blue jollop. By non-job I mean it's not at all necessary to put anything in the cassette, and SOG systems are designed to run au naturelle. (Ignore SOGs for now - they are not relevant and will only confuse further.)

I would suggest you (eventually) put plain water in the flush tank, whatever you like in the cassette, and if you want to mask the inevitable smells put a strong solution of pine disinfectant in a spray bottle for use after "use" - as it were.

Just one point. Always open the sliding valve on the cassette before use. In very hot weather the contents have been known to fester and build up pressure. If you use the loo with the valve closed, then open it afterwards, there could be a serious blow back. (Do I need to provide graphic details? Whistle1)
Don't fret though. There's a lot to learn and most of us have been there, so just keep asking and you will be advised.  up!

P.S. Just saw Roger's post. Must type faster as it's not the first time he's said pretty much the same as me, but quicker!  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi Dave, Roger, Dave

I must admit I panicked a bit there.  I’m still a bit precious about my van, and as a newbie it’s amazing how everything can just build up into a whirligig of confusing thoughts.  I immediately jumped into the “oh no I’ve broken the pump”.

Everyone’s comments have been really helpful and I appreciate them all, from Daisy to Dave and all in between.  I think my biggest problem is that I have to have the van in storage, so I can’t just pop out and check things.  Eventually it will be a lot nearer though.

In the meantime, I’ll be fine as long as no one says anything to worry about. You know, things like “serious blow back due to pressure”.........

Only joking, I know it will all be hunky dunky.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, trust me, it’s appreciated.

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 pm

We are pleased to help Sally, we were all newbies at some point and it can seem daunting. 

Don`t panic, nothing dangerous is going to happen, 

When I first joined I was told to get out in my van as you learn more that way, and there`s always someone on the end of the computer.if you get stuck. 

We did have caravans but Husband always did what I call technical stuff, water, electrics, gas, empty loo etc. with MH i was on my own, she was by baby so to speak, ,  so had to get on with it, best way it turned out.Soon learnt when out in it, had a lot of help from this forum over the years.

You will soon be an old hand at it. 

Get out and enjoy, a bottle of vino helps at the end of the day  hugegrins as you survey your home on wheels. allthumbz

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted capitals)

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Lovely comments Daisy. This really is the friendly club smile!
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Gromit wrote:Relax Sally - you won't have done the slightest damage to anything - except your blood pressure!!  rolleyes

As Dave said, the older stuff did produce the dreaded black bits after a time, even though the makers would never admit to it. Nevertheless they have now produced the "Plus" version which is reputed to be better, but I haven't used it so I can't say.

I suggest you carry on using your bottle of the pink stuff until it's empty, then ask yourself why you need it. The only purpose I can envisage is to produce a more pleasant smell than the blue stuff in the cassette.

The whole scenario is fraught with urban myths. The blue stuff is heavily advertised for its ability to break down solids - a nice euphemism for Richard the Thirds!!  Whistle1 But why would you want to break them down, thus exposing more surface area and increasing the nasty niffs??

If they will come out of the spout when you empty the cassette, what more do you want!!

Many members use Lidl or Aldi bio washing liquid instead of the blue stuff. It smells even worse to me, but most people think it's OK, and it does just as good a non-job as the blue jollop. By non-job I mean it's not at all necessary to put anything in the cassette, and SOG systems are designed to run au naturelle. (Ignore SOGs for now - they are not relevant and will only confuse further.)

I would suggest you (eventually) put plain water in the flush tank, whatever you like in the cassette, and if you want to mask the inevitable smells put a strong solution of pine disinfectant in a spray bottle for use after "use" - as it were.

Just one point. Always open the sliding valve on the cassette before use. In very hot weather the contents have been known to fester and build up pressure. If you use the loo with the valve closed, then open it afterwards, there could be a serious blow back. (Do I need to provide graphic details? Whistle1)
Don't fret though. There's a lot to learn and most of us have been there, so just keep asking and you will be advised.  up!

P.S. Just saw Roger's post. Must type faster as it's not the first time he's said pretty much the same as me, but quicker!  smile!
"But why would you want to break them down"

Could be to get them out the spout ?.  how wide are the spouts ?
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Gromit wrote:Relax Sally - you won't have done the slightest damage to anything - except your blood pressure!!  rolleyes

Good Post, informative. three gold stars
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:35 pm

"But why would you want to break them down"

I haven't measured the spout on my cassette but let me put it this way: 
if I'd produced something too massive to pass out the spout, the last thing I'd be worrying about is whether I'd used Thetford blue or Lidl bio . . .  innocent

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:40 pm

rogerblack wrote:"But why would you want to break them down"

I haven't measured the spout on my cassette but let me put it this way: 
if I'd produced something too massive to pass out the spout, the last thing I'd be worrying about is whether I'd used Thetford blue or Lidl bio . . .  innocent
up!   Can't we get a like button on here ?
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 am

I,m a bit hesitant about advice to use strong solutions of disinfectants. I tend to treat the plastic of the washbasin, loo and shower as if it were made of paper. Check the instructions on the bottle to see if it is OK on plastics.  I do have a spray bottle with a dollop of antibac in water and use that to flush when loo emptying facilities are not available.

The valeter at our dealer uses Cif bathroom spray and I would tend to go for Tesco equivalent. I did however buy an expensive bottle of Thetford bathroom cleaner working on the principle that, if it caused damage, I could at least point out that I had used the maker’s recommended product. It is actually pretty good.

We don’t drain the reservoir until the winter drains but we don’t refill it before we move off either.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next