The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike Rack

+5
GP1069
Steve&Veronique
Dbvwt
Kingham
Irnbru
9 posters

Go down

Bike Rack Empty Bike Rack

Post by Irnbru Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi 
I have a Warwick XL 2018 on a Fiat base. I would like to fit a bike rack for 2 bikes and would like to hear if anyone has experience, good or bad, between rear door fitted e.g. Thule XL elite or Thule tow bar fitted bike rack. Can you open rear doors with tow bar fitted model? Photo of tow bar fitted rack  with doors open would be great. What is max weight on tow ball? Can it handle ebikes?

Thanks
Irnbru
Irnbru

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Bike Rack Empty Re: Bike Rack

Post by Kingham Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 am

There’s an excellent thread by JennyandPeter in this section, titled AutoSleeper Warwick Duo Modifications 2017+ 

They have a tow bar mounted bike rack which folds down, allowing their rear doors to open. There are pictures of the empty rack folded down and the doors open. I’m not sure if the doors will fully clear the bike handlebars, when the rack is folded down, but you could always ask them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:13 am

there are also rear chassis mounted racks which swing away sideways to give unhindered access to the rear doors....
I think they are called Busbiker from memory...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:29 am

Irnbru, I’m also in the process of working out the way forward regarding a bike rack on my Symbol.
Despite the horror stories regarding door mounted racks I’m leaning towards the Thule Elite van XT. Expensive, but I’ve got/had a lot of Thule kit over the years and have never been disappointed.
From my research (info to the contrary would be appreciated) it seems like proper fitting is key to avoiding bent doors etc..
I’m also only ever going to carry one bike.
I’ve had towbar mounted racks (got one on the car now) and can’t fault them but I’m already finding I use the rear door frequently so for me personally I think door mounted would be more convenient.
David

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editing)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:56 am

Hello, I don't have a Warwick so can't specifically help but if you intend carrying an ebike can l suggest removal of the battery. Ours weighs in at 2.5kg so less weight on the back and brings bike weight down to a more acceptable 22kg.
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by GP1069 Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am

I have a Thule Elite Van XT and I'm very happy with it, however I did have one problem during installation. The rack gets glued to the rear right door with Silk 512 and then the bars are torqued at the sides, the top one was fine due to the angled part where it fits but the bottom one started to bow the door when being torqued so it was removed and cleaned, the inside of the door was removed and a thinnish strip of metal was 512 glued inside the door as a support, the lower mount was refitted after the inside had cured and torqued with no problems. Had no problems since, this also may happen with a Fiamma version as I think they don't get glued and clampt but could be wrong on this.

Thule bike weights
Max bike weight 19kg
Max total weight 35kg

My two bike total weight is 15kg

AS Warwick XL
MINI GP #1069
GP1069
GP1069
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Milliways Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:28 pm

We have a Kingham and use the tow ball mounted Atera Strada DL3. This allows us to carry 2 electric bikes (with batteries removed) and allows the rear doors to open with bikes attached if needed.

There are YouTube videos showing how it works.
Milliways
Milliways

Female

Member Age : 58
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by irv636 Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:26 pm

We use Atera Srada DL3 as well on our Kingham, no problems
irv636
irv636

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Irnbru
I have a Fiamma door mounted rack and also a Menabo tow bar mounted rack.
I purchased the Menabo through Ebay with a box. The quality is not great but I have been pleased with it for what it cost.
I have done away with the internal screw knobs that retain the box to the bike rack and fitted external chains and padlocks for quick removal and on site security.
I can not see it listed in UK now. Mine was shipped direct from Italy anyway.
Like this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Travelling to site I carry my bike at high level on the  door rack.
At site I remove the box and use the Menabo rack for my bike (local travel and night storage).
The back door opens when the box is removed but to use the back door for entry the rack needs removing - which takes less than a minute.
The words high level are worth noting.
Both the Thule and Fiamma have a choice of two heights for the wheel trays. I am not sure but it looks like the Thule height is easily changed. The Fiamma height change requires taking it all apart again (in my opinion: too many components due to using standard parts). The Fiamma is rated 30kg the Thule is 35kg.
At low level the light clusters are obscured by the wheel trays and the wheels. This means a lighting board and tow socket are required.
Loading my 21kg  bike (without battery) at high level is difficult for me - being vertically challenged . I have made a lightweight 20mm thick short ladder for loading my bike. A light compact short step ladder is a simpler alternative.

My tip for loading onto door rack at high level:
Prevent the front wheel (handlebars) from turning when lifting onto the rack. I use a 20m plastic tube inside the forks and reusable tie wraps to the frame and wheel. I learnt this lesson when the end of the brake lever created a dent above the door I also put some pipe insulation on the handlebar near the door and soft plastic tube on the brake lever.

Happy cycling.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:10 pm

PS
I have just remembered that I had to lower my tow bar to the alternative pair of holes so the retaining bolt that clamps down on top of the tow ball was clear of the back door. 
So the chosen tow ball mounted rack and height of installation of tow ball can be an issue.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Nice Cube bike.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator