The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cycle rack

+2
vwt4
johndean
6 posters

Go down

cycle rack Empty cycle rack

Post by johndean Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi All
My A/S Symphony 1995 as a Fiamma 2 cycle rack fitted on righthand rear door. I dont and have never used it, however my son wants to use the van and take 2 cycles with him.
Problem is he can't fit the bikes because the 2 channel sections that take the bike wheels are too short, looked at all the racks on internet and they seem much longer, anyone know a way of attaching the 2 bikes ,all the fixings are there.
 cheers
John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : !2019

Back to top Go down

cycle rack Empty Re: cycle rack

Post by vwt4 Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:55 pm

just popped outside to measure my rack,its 4ft 2" long,which is probably standard size,we can fit 2 bikes on easily,what does your rack measure?
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by johndean Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi, Thanks for that, My son as the van at moment so can't check but the bars are only as wide as the righthand door.
My wife in her wisdom states it's a box holder whatever she means by that. it as all the clips and brackets attached to hold cycles.

John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi yes they will hold a box also, something like a cargo back bag but they are as wide as the rails on my van,
I believe it is possible to purchase spare rails of standard length from Fiamma, or perhaps a visit to one of the motor home  shows where you can bargains sometimes, the Cheshire show is on the 19th of July
mike
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by johndean Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Thank again so she might be right, will now start looking at other vans. we don't need it really but my son does so might get longer rails just for him. kids always get everything even when they are adults.
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Fiamma rails are 127cm (which as vwt4 has measured, is about 4'2" in old money).  I can't find any alternative shorter rails listed anywhere, so not sure what you have?

I have a couple of spare rails in my garage but probably not worth arranging shipment/collection as I'm not near you (unless you're planning on visiting Berkshire this week or Fife in July-early Sept) and they're not that expensive to buy new anyway . . .
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

cycle rack Empty bike rack

Post by johndean Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for that but away in North Devon for next few weeks where we have a touring caravan perm sited.
I have completly rebuilt the Symphony last year from a bit of a wreck to a nice van now. the bike rack was on the back door when i purchased it. Did think of removing it but didnt know what to do with holes left behind. My son couldnt find a way of fixing his  2 bikes so put them inside the van. If i remove the rack he can carry them inside again when he  next takes it away. Anyway he now states he as loss of power steering because it as lost all the ATF another job to look at when he gets back, always something.
John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:20 am

Possibly a standard Fiamma bike rack that has been cut down to just support a box.
The reason for this is to avoid a blow on the head when you open the rear door without ducking.

Pete
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

cycle rack Empty Cycle3 rack

Post by johndean Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Pete
Could be but doesnt look like its been cut shorter, have been looking on internet and found Flamma cycle racks with shorter rails made for Boxer / fiat / Citroen etc with 2 rear doors such as the A/S Symphony. I already bashed my head many times with this rack, cant think what damage could occur with longer ones so me thinks it will have to go sometime.
My son you is using van at present states he found leak with power steering its a slight crack in one of the low pressure hoses he as inserted a sleeve and ordered a new hose which should be in next week. He runs a large Peugeot dealership so very handy to get things done.

John Dean
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:30 pm

pjkxpjkx wrote:Possibly a standard Fiamma bike rack that has been cut down to just support a box.
The reason for this is to avoid a blow on the head when you open the rear door without ducking.

Pete

My thoughts too after having a Fiamma rack fitted.

Initially mine was fitted on the 'wrong door' (the n/s) but after having it re-fitted to the correct o/s door am beginning to regret the decision. The reason being, the n/s rear door is the stronger of the two and if just using the bike rack for box use only, it makes sense to have it fitted on the n/s door and cut the rail bars down.

Actually it's a pity Fiamma don't make short rails specifically for this purpose.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by johndean Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 pm

cycle rack <a href=cycle rack 01811

pic of said cycle rack
johndean
johndean

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:14 pm

John

Those have been cut down from their normal length.......undoubtedly for the reasons as stated in my post. It makes opening and closing the door that much easier.

New rails can be found on eBay but check prices here first; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:42 pm

I suspect that a previous owner of you van was a unicyclist. tap_fingers

I'll get me coat..........

Rgds,
Pete. Life Member, Manchester Wheelers Club.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down