The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike Rack

4 posters

Go down

Bike Rack Empty Bike Rack

Post by Victor Johnstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 am

Hi all, fingers crossed for light at the end of the tunnel!

A question. Our Warwick Duo fits into our 6 metre space in front of our garage with 5 mm to spare for closing the gates. Does anyone have a suggestion for an easily removable bike rack? Clearly no space for any fittings that protrude beyond the line of the bumper/rubber stops.  :-)
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Bike Rack Empty Re: Bike Rack

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:55 am

There are bike racks that fit on towbar. A normal towball will protrude beyond your bumper but there are detachable  towballs which may be one direction to look at. I don't know  if the racks can fit on that sort of towbar, its just an idea.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Victor Johnstone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:04 am

Paulmold wrote:There are bike racks that fit on towbar. A normal towball will protrude beyond your bumper but there are detachable  towballs which may be one direction to look at. I don't know  if the racks can fit on that sort of towbar, its just an idea.
Thanks Paul. I suppose i could cut a hole in the gate for the towbar. Bit like a cat flap!  smile!
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:43 am

Both of our vans have Westfalia detachable towbars which add nothing to the length of the vehicle when removed, and I have a Thule tow-bar mounted bike rack which fits either without any problems.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:47 am

Good morning all, look at the Witter ZX88, on our Kemerton XL we have two Raleigh Stowaway's, just take seconds to fit & remove rack, easily stored either in or under van when on site so back door access immediately available Plate is bolted between towbar flange & toe-ball, if toe-ball not required can be just bolted direct to toe-bar flange, with your limited clearance may have to be unbolted each time, but only two easily accessed bolts.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:50 am

mikee wrote:Good morning all, look at the Witter ZX88, on our Kemerton XL we have two Raleigh Stowaway's, just take seconds to fit & remove rack, easily stored either in or under van when on site so back door access immediately available Plate is bolted between towbar flange & toe-ball, if toe-ball not required can be just bolted direct to toe-bar flange, with your limited clearance may have to be unbolted each time, but only two easily accessed bolts.
Thanks, i will def have a look!
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:54 am

Roopert wrote:Both of our vans have Westfalia detachable towbars which add nothing to the length of the vehicle when removed, and I have a Thule tow-bar mounted bike rack which fits either without any problems.

Thanks. How are they attached?
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:33 pm

Victor Johnstone wrote:

The towball "plugs in" to a socket on the underside of the towbar, which is hidden inside the bumper. The bike rack is held onto the towball with a clamp on the rack that looks rather like a handbrake lever - which has a lock built-in so that someone can't just nick the whole rack and bikes as one piece!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Roopert wrote:
Victor Johnstone wrote:

The towball "plugs in" to a socket on the underside of the towbar, which is hidden inside the bumper. The bike rack is held onto the towball with a clamp on the rack that looks rather like a handbrake lever - which has a lock built-in so that someone can't just nick the whole rack and bikes as one piece!
Thanks again,

So the toe ball is quickly detachable? That would make things much easier! What make is it?

Cheers
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:24 pm

Roopert wrote:Both of our vans have Westfalia detachable towbars

I should add that I find the towball fiddly. It's not physically hard, but you have to put the key in and do a sequence of pulls and turns of the control knob before it will come out. It's like it because you really don't need it dropping off when you don't want it to!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Roopert wrote:
Roopert wrote:Both of our vans have Westfalia detachable towbars

I should add that I find the towball fiddly. It's not physically hard, but you have to put the key in and do a sequence of pulls and turns of the control knob before it will come out. It's like it because you really don't need it dropping off when you don't want it to!
Ah, sorry. Missed that bit!
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Bike Rack Empty Bike rack.

Post by Arry 32 Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 am

Hi Victor, I purchased a 2 year old 14 plate Kemerton a few years ago that already had a westfalia tow bar kit fitted with the removable ball, the ball part of the tow bar fits vertically upwards into a tube.
Because of the way the rest of the tow bar kit is fitted to the van it is almost invisible unless you get down to ground level which I think is aesthetically pleasing not affecting the look of the rear of the van when the tow ball part of the kit is not in place and not affecting the overall length of the van.  
Because the tow bar was already fitted when I purchased the van I purchased a westfalia folding tow ball mounted bike rack on which I carry 2 E-mountain bikes although I remove the batteries to keep the weight down, I have driven over 12000miles with this set up both in the UK and Europe and would recommend both the tow bar set up and the rack to anyone.
The rack folds up to a sensible size when not in use so is easy to store.
The only negative I have found with this set up is that although the rack has a tilt facility that can be used with the bikes on its not quite enough to fully open the back doors.
Hope this helps
Arry 32
Arry 32

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:20 am

Hi 'Arry

That sound just what we are after. 

Thanks for your info and same thanks to all from newbies  to AS.

Good peop!e!
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down