The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera

+5
Bartfarst
daisy mae
RogerThat
Kemerton-bath
AutoSleepy_Don
9 posters

Go down

Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera Empty Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Just got back from getting my Reversing Camera replaced at MMH Berks.
It took them 30 minutes to replace the camera but I'm not sure about the sealing job they have done. You can see the wire from underneath.

Do you think the weather sealing is important?
Should I finish it off myself?
What is the black compound they use?

After (from Below)Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera After_12
After (from Above)Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera After_14
Before (For comparison)
a much neater finish by AS
Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera Before12
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera Empty Re: Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 pm

That is appalling "workmanship"!  They've assumed that because it's high up, it won't be noticed.  Someone deserves to be shot.

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera Empty Re: Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera

Post by RogerThat Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Yeah, I agree, that's pretty bad.

It looks like I ran wild with a mastik gun on your van Whistle1

But, that said, I doubt anyone can see it - and you can only see it because you know it's there.  So long as it's water tight, I'd not give it another thought allthumbz
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

If it was me I would want it a better finish, it isn`t right, and if paying for a job to be done it needs to be to your satisfaction.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm

RogerThat wrote:So long as it's water tight, I'd not give it another thought allthumbz
That is the thing, it is no way water tight, especially from underneath and water will get in there.

The only thing I have ever used is the silicone sealant that goes around the top of the bath but that is always white and I dont think it is the same stuff anyhow.
So you think I need Mastik?

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:19 pm

daisy mae wrote:If it was me I would want it a better finish, it isn`t right, and if paying for a job to be done it needs to be to your satisfaction.
I do want a better finish but I cant figure out how to achieve that goal.

I tried HARD to avoid going to Marquis Newbury because I knew they would do something like this, but AS will not look at the van unless the dealer sends them a "back to factory" warranty claim. Marquis Newbury insisted on doing the fitment in their own workshop.

I think the most pragmatic fix is if I just go over it again myself. As the camera is fitted high up, it cant be seen easily, but I want it to be water tight.

Problem is I can not figure out what the black sealant compound is? It is like soft putty for a few hours then it sets hard.

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:55 pm

The work by the dealer is clearly a poor job, but the solution originally specified by AS is also pretty poor and not robust in my view. I'm assuming the design intent here is to seal the entry point of the cable into the van? Well, if so, then surely something like a black nylon cable gland would be far more neat, effective and longer lasting?

Another point to note. In my experience cheap reversing cameras can also suffer from moisture ingress into the camera thus fogging the glass in cold weather and possibly damaging the electronics. Judicious application of sealant to the joints in the camera body and the point of cable entry might be of benefit, particularly if an earlier camera of the same type had failed. However there are some schools of thought which say that any electronic enclosure such as this, unless it's fully hermetically sealed, it will inevitably 'breathe' as the atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature varies. So you might be better leaving them unsealed or even providing drain holes in the bottom to let any water out. Food for thought perhaps?

Bartfarst

PS the sealant may be one of the Sikaflex range. Some are identified specifically for caravan applications.
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:03 pm

My twin  cameras set up has two gromets where the wires go into the van body, also sealed with sealant, husband did mine as they were replacement cameras, he has done a neat job. 

Hope you can sort it.

Best wishes,
M

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 pm

I may be wrong, but the sealant looks suspiciously like a product called Dum Dum, which had a rather strange thixotropic consistency - it could be moulded into shape after kneading it, but would then slowly revert to an almost solid form. I used some a few years ago but I didn't like it because it had a tendency to go semi-fluid in strong sunlight!

On the basis that it may need to be disturbed if the camera needs attention, I would probably use a silicone sealant rather than a Sikaflex-type PU one - far easier to cut away if needed.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 am

This seems like a much neater solution and something as could do from new. It would reduce build time and have one less hole to seal.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm

For completeness, I will answer my own question smile!
I called AS and they told me to use any black silicone sealant (they use a sealant called "Soudal Fix All"). up!  They said Sikaflex would do the job but it is harder to use.

I checked the spec sheet and oddly Soudal Fix All does not contain any silcone confused3
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Kemerton-bath wrote:That is appalling "workmanship"!  They've assumed that because it's high up, it won't be noticed.  Someone deserves to be shot.
Agreed, thats a bloody disgrace
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Constan42 Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:47 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:Just got back from getting my Reversing Camera replaced at MMH Berks.
It took them 30 minutes to replace the camera but I'm not sure about the sealing job they have done. You can see the wire from underneath.

Do you think the weather sealing is important?
Should I finish it off myself?
What is the black compound they use?

After (from Below)Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera After_12
After (from Above)Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera After_14
Before (For comparison)
a much neater finish by AS
Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera Before12

Just take it back, that workmanship is CLEARLY not acceptable. COMPLAIN
Constan42
Constan42
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 pm

your right of course, I should of just taken it back and complained.
I just thought it would be a simple fix to do myself now the camera is working again.

I got this bog standard silicone sealant from Halfords and applying was easy after I did a little test to get a feel for how to apply it.

I feel I have bonded with my van doing this myself  content

Weather Sealing on the Reversing Camera Img_2513
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Davew Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:36 am

I think, if I were you, I'd buy a tube of black Sikaflex. Fantastic sealant and adhesive, it will do just what you want!
BTW, your experience of MMH echo's ours at Plymouth - a bunch of used car salesmen. I've given up taking our 1 year old symbol back to them, they don't fix anything and treat us as idiots. 

Good luck,

Dave
Davew
Davew

Male

Back to top Go down