The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversing Camera Factory Fitted

+6
matchlessman
Peter Brown
pjkxpjkx
nimbus
geoff brooke
njr001
10 posters

Go down

Reversing Camera Factory Fitted Empty Reversing Camera Factory Fitted

Post by njr001 Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Does anybody have an information about the reversing camera currently being fitted to new vans if the Premium Pack is specified, Mark at the Service Centre thought it was a CMOS model by Armour Automotive but I can't find anything looking remotely similar on their website. Whilst Auto-Sleeper parts were able to quote a price for supplying they could not give me any more information.

Having recently upgraded my radio to a Pioneer which has a reversing camera input, I only require a camera but most I've seen are visually not very aesthetic.
njr001

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Reversing Camera Factory Fitted Empty reversing camera

Post by geoff brooke Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 pm

i bought warwick duo with premium pack fitted with rev camera.
cant give you make but can say its very effective...full colour and adjustable for variou functions with slim credit card size remote control.
picture can be blurred in bad weather conditions but still effective.
would reccomend...I wish all vehicles had them as standard as i do on my hgv.
geoff brooke
geoff brooke

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick duo xl

Back to top Go down

Reversing Camera Factory Fitted Empty Re: Reversing Camera Factory Fitted

Post by nimbus Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:23 am

It's a Veba and you'll find a brief description here - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The model number is AVCAM-9V2 (I think).

Apart from the excellent wide angle coverage for reversing and the neat appearance I don't think it's got a lot else going for it. I use it in place of the rear view mirror and the picture quality is ok'ish in dry weather. In wet conditions the image is completely distorted and unusable. Mine has developed a blurred centre spot which I suspect is caused by specks of dust on the sensor or the lens.

Autosleeper also fit a Veba monitor which clips to the rear view mirror. I'm now on my second one as the first just stopped working and the current one is showing signs of going the same way.

nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Reversing Camera Factory Fitted Empty Camera on Warwick Duo

Post by pjkxpjkx Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Our 2011 Warwick Duo is fitted with a VEBA 7 inch mirror monitor.
It is described as an AV70MM. It is not a reversing camera - it is always on.The website says:

AV70MM - 7.0" Mirror Monitor
A unique way of installing a TFT/LCD monitor by simply attaching the monitor to the rear view mirror of a vehicle with the clips provided and the NEW Plug and Play Style Harness. It operates as a mirror until it receives a video signal at which point the centre 7" section becomes a high resolution widescreen monitor.

That does not make much sense. It is just a clip on monitor which turns itself on when the ignition is on.
You can use it only as a reversing camera by wiring it to a reverse feed like the reversing light switch.

Anyway, ours was just replaced under warranty by Marquis Gloucester, so not recommended.

Pete.
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 pm

nimbus wrote:It's a Veba and you'll find a brief description here - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The model number is AVCAM-9V2 (I think).

I've spent a lot of time looking at cameras lately as I'm trying to find out what mine is (picture below if anyone can help) and the camera mentioned above is the neatest looking.

I installed a similar system (well the service centre did) on my last van. I knew that AS used the Armour (Veba) system and called for some technical information - they wouldn't talk to me because I was only a customer! I bought a much cheaper but similar system and was very happy with it. I didn't have it wired into reverse, just switched it on when I wanted to use it and it acted as a normal mirror at other times.

I rang Veba tech support this week to ask if they recognised my camera - they couldn't help but at least they now talk to customers.

The current van has a Veba monitor that is on all the time (van doesn't have a rear window) but only looks back about 4 meters. It doesn't have a switch on it and can only be operated from the remote control but it does the job - I haven't reversed into anything yet!

Anyone got any info on this camera?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:43 pm

geoff brooke wrote: slim credit card size remote control.
would reccomend...I wish all vehicles had them as standard as i do on my hgv.

Mine has a remote control. Waste of time! When I want to see my trailer I have to find the remote from the depths of the dashboard pockets and locate which button to press, at whatever MPH I'm doing.

So much easier if there's simply a button on the side to press to turn the monitor on or off when required to view behind. It does of course turn itself on automatically when I hit reverse.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 am

The 12v connection for the camera and monitor is under the drivers door step. That is where the camera and monitor cables are joined and I would think it an easy job to change the 12v supply to an ignition fed one so that it is on whenever the engine is running.

Fortunately on the Warwick Duo that is how it's wired so that it comes on whenever the engine is started.
nimbus

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've tracked down my camera - see link above.

I've had no problem with it and the distance reference lines it generates are very useful. It comes with connection leads.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by camp1 Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:29 pm

We have the new Corinium and the camera is not adjustable so its staring about twenty feet behind, I want to see the tow bar for reversing up close. I have decided to fit an adjustable one soon, does anyone know if its the jack plug fitting or other?
camp1
camp1

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Our Nuevo came with the factory-fitted Veba. It's no good at all in the dark when manouvering because the glare from the high-level LED brake light totally obscures the picture. It's fitted in the wrong place. Similarly, if there's a drop of rainwater on it, it's no use. The one in Peter Brown's photo doesn't suffer from either of those weaknesses, as there's no brake light immediately below it, and it seems shielded from rain.

Otherwise it's better than nothing, when reversing without assistance. Whilst the wing mirrors are fine for reversing, the driver cannot see whether something is right up against the back of the van, not visible in the wing mirrors.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:56 pm

I think the latest (2017) colour reversing cameras supplied with the Premium Pack, connect to the Garmin satnav system. 

There's no mention of whether or not they have changed the camera itself, or are using the same as on previous models.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:12 am

I think that A/S do tend to use CMOS cameras which are not as good as CCD cameras. They are less sharp and do not cope at well with stray light such as the brakelight glare. I had loads of problems when new with the camera cutting out. It was finally sorted at the 4th attempt with a new camera and a new monitor which does have manual as well as remote switching. But it is a CMOS camera! It is wide angle so can be used for rear view but, as I have a rear window gjvjng limited through vision I have to put the mirror out of adjustment to avoid the naturally light rear window washing out the monitor image.  I would prefer a twin CCD camera but the existing one is Sikafexed to the gel coat of the rear panel and would be a devil to remove.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down