The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Change engine oil warning'

+19
Cymro
jhorsf
-mojo-
Bulletguy
johndean
OAPtraveller
Toffee
MelB
chalkywhite
bikeralw
Campievanner
AutoSleepy_Don
Lorfal
mikethebike
Kingham
Paulmold
roli
PLOUGHLIN
Mindhyg
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

'Change engine oil warning' Empty 'Change engine oil warning'

Post by Mindhyg Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm

This will be a bit long winded, but I think it has to be to get the point across and I don't wish it to appear to be a rant. I have posted it here so that it might get read by many. Perhaps it should have gone elsewhere on the forum because this time it's not an Auto Sleeper issue, but it will affect a lot of owners on this evidence.

Has anyone had the " Change Engine Oil" warning come up on the dashboard on a low mileage 2.0 Euro 6 engine and if so what was the reason given by your Peugeot dealer???

I have a 2017 Fairford purchased with the above engine last July. The vehicle has covered 1848 miles and the first service is not due for two years. Over the winter period I have always taken it out at least twice a month for a run up the motorway to keep it up to scratch and have had no problems until now.

Last week I started it up and the " Change Engine Oil" warning came up, but as soon as I got to the top of my drive it went out and never came back on. I thought no more of it and put it down to the fact that it was just the cold oil that had triggered the a sensor. Yesterday I started the van and it came on again and this time just stayed on and kept flashing the warning  " Change Engine Oil " Thinking that the vehicle had covered so little mileage I wasn't too worried, and when I checked the oil it was more or less as clean as new oil and showed no degradation. 

I took it into Peugeot and asked if they could reset the stupid flashing warning as it should not come on on such a new low mileage engine. What I was told takes the biscuit. I was told that they could not reset the warning as it was not possible to reset it and only an oil and filter change would make the warning go away. Hold on I said this is a new vehicle with only 1848 miles on the engine in 7 months. if it had covered 12,000 + miles in a year I would not be surprised to see this warning as the oil would have degraded enormously. Now I am told by the guy in service dept that it's because you don't use it enough, we cannot just reset it because it's not linked to engine management computer and it will cost you 90 quid for a oil and filter change otherwise it wont go out.

I said you must be having a laugh, and as well as you can imagine a lot more was said by me. If I have to have the oil and filter changed every 1800 miles to get rid of a waning and it costs me £90 a time when there is nothing wrong with the oil and filter, it will cost me a bloody fortune keep this van especially as it's first service should not be due for two years. Well he still says £90 or we wont cant do anything - great customer service!

I will now be contacting Peugeot UK and will want to know more about this because they may have just found that they can get away with what seems a big con. I will keep everyone up to speed with the reply.

Sorry it's so long but believe me it could have been longer.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

'Change engine oil warning' Empty Re: 'Change engine oil warning'

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Don't forget your van was probably built in 2016. Oil/service light is time based, should have been reset at PDI. Don't know Peurgeot, but on MB cancelling service indicator is from dash buttons.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Have a look through some recent similar posts re duff messages but you can reset by a combination of ignition key and pressing the clutch and accelerator pedals if that doesn’t work the bid needs resetting
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Mindhyg, I posted a similar experience at the end of January, albeit with more miles than yourself.

I was told very similar by two separate Peugeot dealerships and due to not knowing how long my oil had been in the engine, I paid up. I'm looking on it as belt & braces protection for the engine, which I would have probably done at the year mark anyway, as well as having a definitive date for the new oil, should I get a premature warning in the future.

See link....

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have sent Peugeot UK a email who will phone within two days. 

Why should we just accept what we are told by dealerships when it is possibly not the case and is just a money/ work earner for the dealerships. I have had and serviced vehicles all my life, newer and older classics. I am not stupid to the point that I will believe anything I'm told and just swallow it. This belies all logic. As I have said I was told it can only be cancelled with an oil and filter change, but If it can be reset as Paul says, then based on that there must be a fix procedure that is known. If I can do it and it's on youtube so can they and have told me a porky. Now whether it will work on this engine is another matter of course, but I will find out tomorrow when I try it. I am not that stupid as to know that modern day synthetic engineered oils do not degenerate that quickly after 1800 miles whether they were put in two years ago and just sat in the sump  until delivered is irrelevant. it would still be in first class condition regardless. Also If it was time based from when it was put in the sump then there must be a timer within the ECU or BCU, but I was told that this warning is not controlled or linked to either of the ECU or BCU and that's why they cannot reset it and only an oil and filter change will cancel it. 

A service notification warning message is built into the ECU I will agree on that one, but this is completely different to the warning about oil change, and it does come up when my car a Peugeot 3008 is due for it's yearly service. This service warning will also come up on the van in the future, but in a different worded format.

As I said thanks for the replies, Paul's and Kinghams in particular and I will now have a look at the links. Best we keep it to Euro 6 engines though. I will post again when I get the reply and if the fix from Paul's link works for me when I try tomorrow I will be more than happy. But god help the dealer if it does. I will let you all know. I have just had a message from a pal who says he has reset his 2.2 Euro 5 warning.

PS did you change you name by deed poll Wolfy!
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Mindhyg wrote:........ PS did you change you name by deed poll Wolfy!

hugegrins  No, another member recently mentioned it was an option in 'settings' and I changed it before admin took the self service option away.

I'm looking forward to hearing the official response from Peugeot regarding the oil, however I think it's possible that your dealer did not give you a 'You Tube' reset option, because however unlikely, if the oil had actually deteriorated and you ended up doing long term damage to your engine, they would have to accept responsibility and a possible hefty bill.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to be in such a position and point you towards that as an option.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Kingham wrote:
Mindhyg wrote:........ PS did you change you name by deed poll Wolfy!

hugegrins  No, another member recently mentioned it was an option in 'settings' and I changed it before admin took the self service option away.

I'm looking forward to hearing the official response from Peugeot regarding the oil, however I think it's possible that your dealer did not give you a 'You Tube' reset option, because however unlikely, if the oil had actually deteriorated and you ended up doing long term damage to your engine, they would have to accept responsibility and a possible hefty bill.

I can understand why they wouldn't want to be in such a position and point you towards that as an option.

Ken.
Hi Ken as I said in my post I could have written more and a lot more another reason fired at me was that perhaps I don't use the van enough. Possibly that is true, but non use means non degradation in my book. Lets see what transpires.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:13 pm

those oils can do 18,000 miles.
However i never do that.
My BMW garage said why are you changing the oil early. I said every year.
He said not due on the read out.
So all garages are not out to make a fast buck.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Ken

You said.............Possibly that is true, but non use means non degradation in my book

Not actually true, I'm afraid, in fact, possibly worse than you think.
Firstly, modern "oil" really isn't much of oil at all. The engine you have has only rarely been used, only 2000 miles in more than a year. You say it has been up the motorway twice a month or so. I question how properly hot it got in those short runs, you are, clearly not "white van man"

My feeling is that your warning is possibly correct, you are not using the thing anything like it was designed for, bear in mind the manufacturer didn't plan on your usage. The oil has been in there since it was built

I'm afraid you "checking the oil" visually is far from scientific, in fact, apart form measuring the level, more or less pointless, sorry to be blunt.

For all of my vehicles, they all get an oil and filter change every year, usually at the MOT to combine a garage visit. The oil in yours is probably acidic, google new sumps for those made of aluminium, eaten from within

My point is, you have an expensive vehicle, it needs to be maintained, and, frankly, £90  is cheap insurance for a very expensive engine which needs one major component to ensure its longevity,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oil.

Sorry if seeming blunt, but that's the facts!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 pm

IanH wrote:Ken

You said.............

I'm Ken and it wasn't me that said whatever you think I said hugegrins

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Interesting to know I’m not going crazy and paranoid. I thought I was seeing things when the display said change engine oil at 5000 miles. I’m not a mechanic nor terribly engine savvy , but even I knew this wasn’t right.  Fairford is a 67 plate. I did what most women would do ( ok women don’t all shout at once
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Oh dear god ! My posts are rebelling for my comments lol
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 am

Sorry Ken!!
I'm Ken and it wasn't me that said whatever you think I said.

Meant for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wave
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm

IanH wrote:Sorry Ken!!
I'm Ken and it wasn't me that said whatever you think I said.

Meant for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wave
Love it, the names Bond - James Bond hugegrins
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi Paul and others this might clarify things and looks like it will apply to all who get the problem. Above is what Peugeot have said in reply to my email. It does look like we are stuck with the problem and will just have to bear it and pay up when the warning starts flashing. I hope that this does not occur to often though, because it could start to get expensive. I did not try the fix on youtube because as was said by another poster it's not worth compromising for the sake £90. And who knows doing it might upset something else! It will be handy to monitor the situation via the forum to see just how long before another oil and filter change warning comes up. Mine is in next Wednesday. Will do it myself though after two years when the Peugeot warranty finishes. I never had this warning at all on my previous 2.2 Euro 5 boxer and I know that it also sat at the dealers for a while as well. I sold it just before the first service was due! It all seems very hit and miss because a pal of mine did have his warning come up on his Euro 5 and that was one of the first new Bailey's to leave the factory. He just used the rest fix on youtube.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:17 pm

never mind
content
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Campievanner Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:41 pm

The same thing happened on our Euro 4 2012 registered van, chassis built October 2010. Oddly though after two oil changes and 15,000 miles......in April 2014.

I know the Euro 5 and 6 versions will be more modern but there is a similar tale here.

On the earlier vans the dash is more basic (the dot matrix display was an option then) and the notification of "oil change required" manifests itself by the oil light flashing 30 times on startup.

When it happened on our van, the oil had been changed about a month before and the van had covered 500 miles or so. We assumed it was a fault as the oil was obviously perfect and at the correct level.

Its pdi was allegedly done at the Peugeot agent in Gateshead (seriously !) in Nov 2010 prior to the AS conversion, we bought it 'new' in March 2012 in Northants with negligible miles. I had the first oil change done at 8000 miles and 1 year old March 2013 at the local Peugeot agent, then its first service at 15,000 miles and two years in March 2014 at a non-franchised agent where it been serviced since.

Anyway to get to the point, at the extra oil change at one year old, the dealer did not reset the oil service indicator, or it wouldn't have come on one year later at two years old would it ? Also it dispels the myth that a physical oil change removed the warning because it had been done twice when it appeared.

We took the van to the agent to remove the warning light, showed them their receipt for the first oil change, the receipt for the second one from the vat registered garage complete with Peugeot parts invoice, and had a pleasant chat. They inspected the vehicle to confirm it had been recently done, and out of goodwill reset it for us. (on the promise of us using them for the next service....which we didnt..)

Sometime later in that year I happened to bump into a senior Peugeot technician who explained over a drink how the oil logarithm works. It analyses many factors but doesn't have an oil degradation sensor. (don't forget this is  on a Ford 2.2 engine) 

Cannot remember all of them, total number of engine revs, number of hours on engine, number of cold starts, hot starts, number of starts where the engine is cold and switched off before it is warm etc etc.

Quite interesting really, and even though we buy a new motorhome, it will have been started and stopped more times when being converted and driven round Willersey factory than the average van prior to delivery which would multiply that calculation out of all proportion.

Not saying your van is the same, just sharing our experience. Plus our van is now six years old, had six oil changes in 36,000 miles and would always do it annually, it is not a waste of money.

Ps. it is nearly four years since the flashing light came on.....wonder when it will again ?

Last edited by Campievanner on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Campievanner Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Forgot to say, there is a van hire company that my friend uses often in Southport that use all Peugeot/Citroen vans. They do their own servicing in house, and tell the customers to ignore the 'flashing oil can' and that it won't blow up. The vans just carry on doing it for years apparently.
Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm

OK, but remember, the cheapest and far and away most important part of your expensive toy engine is the OIL.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Campievanner Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:17 pm

As i just said above, we have had six oil changes in six years and 36,000 miles Ian, so I subscribe to that point of view.
Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 pm

Campievanner wrote:Forgot to say, there is a van hire company that my friend uses often in Southport that use all Peugeot/Citroen vans. They do their own servicing in house, and tell the customers to ignore the 'flashing oil can' and that it won't blow up. The vans just carry on doing it for years apparently. 
It used to be that if a dashboard light was illuminated you would get an advisory on your MoT. I think the recent rules state that the vehicle will now fail the MoT if any warning lights remain illuminated. I stand corrected if this is wrong.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by chalkywhite Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 pm

I will have had my van  for a year in May 2018. It was converted by Auto sleeper in September 2016 and I took delivery in May 2017. The paper work shows the base vehicle had its pre delivery inspection in August 2016. If we assume it took 8 weeks  from being built to arriving in this country in August 2016 that could mean the Oil is 20 months old. My oil light came on at about 1000 miles. I reset it as I considered it was probably a time based warning. I also thought that if it wasn't and it was due to the the poor quality of the oil it would come back on. It hasn't yet but I have only done 1900 miles. It has been interesting reading some of the comments on here. I rang my local Peugeot dealer and have been quoted £200 for an oil change. I think I will get it changed for peace of mind. Is that what other people are being charged at main dealers ?.
chalkywhite
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:02 pm

£112 for mine back in January

Donator