The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are our brakes really good enough?

+17
gemdeco
JPCoetzee
chrisvesey
TeamRienza
finbar
Paul 300358
moggyminor1966
dbroada
burlingtonboaby
Peter Brown
Dutto
m8form8
daisy mae
Trophyman
boxerman
fisherman3
Grahamjane
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are our brakes really good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are our brakes really good enough?

Post by JPCoetzee Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm

The brakes on my Topaz are appalling (no ABS). They only just pass the MOT despite new stainless steel pipes and a full brake service by my garage.

Shortly after I bought the van I caused a three-car rear-ender at traffic lights as a direct result. Now I drive *very carefully* and keep a good distance from vehicles in front.
JPCoetzee
JPCoetzee

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz (2000)

Back to top Go down

Are our brakes really good enough? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are our brakes really good enough?

Post by gemdeco Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi
   I am sure if you go on to the VW Forums you could upgrade the brakes from a different model,I personnely would not be happy in your situation
   regards
      Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:48 pm

Personally I would not "upgrade" brakes unless I was absolutely certain that they are performing as they came from the factory and are still found to be inadequate. If, for example, one or more of the calipers is partially seized, or the sliders are not moving freely, or there's the slightest amount of air in the system, or there's internal damage to one of the flexibles, or the brake balance valve is defective then you may get poor brake performance.

The thing that strikes me is that when the Topaz has been reviewed for motorhome magazines in the past there was no mention of the fact that the brakes were appalling - so it seems reasonable to conclude that there is something wrong, rather than that they need to be upgraded.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Mojo
       I presumed that that had already been done ,a sticking caliper I think would show up on the MOT as brake inbalence
                 regards
                     Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:50 pm

gemdeco wrote:Hi Mojo
       I presumed that that had already been done ,a sticking caliper I think would show up on the MOT as brake inbalence
                 regards
                     Alan
But if both are sticking?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:09 pm

I would say something is wrong, my Topaz brakes were spot on . no problems whatsoever. seems sensible to me to explore  all possibilities  that can  go wrong first  before changing the braking system that doesn`t sound the way to go to me.

Good luck

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:29 pm

I've been waiting for someone who has or had a Topaz to contribute.
Something that only just passes the MOT is BAD. The MOT standards are the minimum that can be safely accepted and pretty low. I find it hard to believe that a vehicle with its braking as good as the factory standard struggles to pass the MOT.

I've never driven a VW van so I have no experience of them, so the fact that Margaret didn't have an issue with her brakes confirms to me that there is something sadly wrong with the OP's brakes.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:58 pm

I had a 55 Reg VW T5 window van , converted by Leisure Drive some years ago, the brakes were terrible, the turbo lag even worse.
I don't know why folk rave on about them, however I did like the old Splities and Bay window vans.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

I now have the same base van VW T4 2.5TDI on my Clubman, I don`t have any issues with the brakes on that either. that is why I went for this van as I loved the previous one and wouldn`t change.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:42 pm

thoughts?
It is almost as though we need softer pads, which would mean changing them more frequently.

scratch head
Graham

Some things - are the discs ok?  When did you last change the brake fluid?  Any brake advisories in the MOT?
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:04 pm

The laws of physics mean that stopping a 3 tonne camper will take a lot more effort than a 1 tonne car. 

Also, regardless of how good or bad the brakes are, all the energy is being sent via 4 small patches of rubber, a few square inches each. 

The ABS will kick in when the tyres loose traction with the road, so tyre type, and road conditions will be the determining factor. Don't forget van tyres are different to car tyres and camper tyres are different again as they have to carry heavy loads, all the time.

If your tyres grip well enough to prevent the ABS needing to cut in that is a good thing, whats it like on a wet road?
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:21 pm

You make a good point re 3T van versus 1T car macthlessman but the braking systems should compensate for the difference in weight. When I drove LGV's at 16 tonnes they would lock up the wheels if you stood on the pedal but my Symbol never comes close to locking anything, even without ABS. The only way I get wheel slip is accelerating hard on a wet road uphill! Part of the HGV test involved accelerating to 30mph through the gears and then coming to a halt using only the gearbox. Still do it.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2