The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced

5 posters

Go down

Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced Empty Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced

Post by troikafloyd Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:54 am

Hi all,

My 2004 Peugeot Boxer 290 Symbol has just had an advisory on it's MOT regarding the rear brakes......"rear brake imbalance of 30%".
I am getting a squealing noise when applying brakes and also a 'pull' over to the left when driving.....could the 'pull' be attributed to the imbalance on the rear, although I don't see how?
I have recently had the front pads replaced but was getting the squeal before this.

Has anyone had this problem before regarding imbalance?

Also, is there a video out there to show removal / replacement of rear brakes, drums etc on a Peugeot boxer as I am no expert but want to clean/replace them etc and Haynes annoyingly don't seem to publish a manual for the Boxer.

Any help on this matter will be gratefully received!!
troikafloyd

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced Empty Re: Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced

Post by boxerman Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:51 am

If your rear drum brakes are like my 1995 ones then there is nothing complex about them, the Peter Russek manual might not be up to Haynes' standard but it has the info you require.
The only problem you might come across is a corrosion ridge on the bit of the drum where the shoes don't rub. This can prevent the drums from coming off [or worse - jamming half way off].

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced Empty Re: Boxer 2004 Rear Brakes 30% Unbalanced

Post by troikafloyd Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:16 pm

up! Thanks for that Frank, I'll have a look at getting a Peter Russek manual......why Haynes don't issue one is beyond me! They produce all manner of manuals now but for what they are renowned for...........!!!!!
Apparently I understand 30% is the limit for getting through the MOT regards being unbalanced so need to sort it out.
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Yes, you can get a steering effect (i.e. a pull to one side) if one brake at the back is much more effective than the other - that's one of the ways in which ESP on modern cars/vans works when correcting understeer on a corner.

As Frank says, there should be nothing too complex with rear drums, but I have been in that annoying position of not ~quite~ being able to get the drum off!

It may be worn down shoes, but in my experience it's more likely to be one cylinder partially seized (had that on my last van, and it was a bit of a b'stard to fix as the cylinder fixing bolt head rounded off and I had to use a miniature drill to grind the whole bolt away!).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:12 pm

up!  Thanks for that Mojo,

I'm getting the 'pull' when actually driving and not that I've noticed when braking. That's why I presumed it wouldn't be to do with the '30% unbalance'.
It's just that both have come about over the last few weeks so thought I'd ask those in the know smile!
Glad you managed to get yours sorted out, I have a wheel bolt that sheared off.....nightmare!
When I get it sorted I'll let everyone know for future ref etc.
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Hi

I had to have the rear brake cylinders replaced on my 2004 Symbol. The brake drum was getting hot on one side so took it in. The garage said both wheel cylinders was leaking, had new brake shoes fitted aswell.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm

Stewart John wrote:Hi

I had to have the rear brake cylinders replaced on my 2004 Symbol. The brake drum was getting hot on one side so took it in. The garage said both wheel cylinders was leaking, had new brake shoes fitted aswell.

Are there two cylinders in each brake - twin leading shoe? Mine only have one cylinder per side, if yours are tls then the Russek manual may not be much use to troikafloyd

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi

I not to sure Boxerman the van was five year old when done. shrugg

They replaced rear offside and nearside cylinders so I think one cylinder per wheel.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:06 pm

That's OK then up! had me worried for a minute confused3

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:07 pm

If you experience 'pull' when driving, then maybe tyre pressures and tracking ought to be checked as a first off.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down