The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 Symbol Beds

+2
daisy mae
MysteryMachine
6 posters

Go down

2015 Symbol Beds Empty 2015 Symbol Beds

Post by MysteryMachine Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:33 pm

I'm looking at the 2015 Symbol, but wondered if anyone can answer a query I have regarding the beds?
I'm 6ft1 and 17st so of large build and am wondering if the bed would be big enough?

Autosleepers quote 4ft9 wide by 6ft1 for the double so thats a bit tight on the legroom.

Singles are quoted as:
Offside 2ft4 wide by only 5ft8 long

and the

Nearside only 2ft1 wide by 6ft 4 long.

However, as I will mainly be solo on my travels, can anyone tell me if it would be possible for one person to put the beds down as if it were a double but then sleep in the Nearside Single to benefit from its 6ft 4 length and give me extra width (2ft 1 seems rather too narrow for me). ...that is assuming anyone understands what I'm on about...well I know what I mean!!

Regards

James
MysteryMachine
MysteryMachine

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle Year:none

Back to top Go down

2015 Symbol Beds Empty Re: 2015 Symbol Beds

Post by daisy mae Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:56 pm

I don`t see why not, haven`t that model myself, I presume you can sleep on the double whichever you find comfortable. I have had my bed as a double and slept across the van or could down the length of the van, if you get my drift. I am mainly solo also, unless you count my dog. hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 pm

MysteryMachine wrote:I'm looking at the 2015 Symbol, but wondered if anyone can answer a query I have regarding the beds?
I'm 6ft1 and 17st so of large build and am wondering if the bed would be big enough?

Autosleepers quote 4ft9 wide by 6ft1 for the double so thats a bit tight on the legroom.

Singles are quoted as:
Offside 2ft4 wide by only 5ft8 long

and the

Nearside only 2ft1 wide by 6ft 4 long.

However, as I will mainly be solo on my travels, can anyone tell me if it would be possible for one person to put the beds down as if it were a double but then sleep in the Nearside Single to benefit from its 6ft 4 length and give me extra width (2ft 1 seems rather too narrow for me). ...that is assuming anyone understands what I'm on about...well I know what I mean!!

Regards

James

Don't think those measurements are correct. If you look at the illustration of the night time layout as singles, then the offside bed looks longer than the nearside and the specification states swivel seats (plural) on all front lounge layouts so that would make them even longer. We had a 97 Symphony which had the same layout and I'm 5' 11" and 16 1/2 stone and slept OK ( you could pull the offside bed out a little to make the width greater). I think you need to physically see one and try it out.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblers Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:23 pm

My 2011 model has a flat floor through the cab and living area and the single beds make up inclusive of the driver and passenger seats.

The post 2013 models have a raised section in the cab which prevents the driver and passenger seats being used for the single beds. The near side single is longer because it extends under the wardrobe.

Hope this explains the difference.

Jeff

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteryMachine Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi Ramblers, yes that's exactly what I mean't. However wasn't sure whether the cushions used for the bottom end of the nearside single berth (ie under the wardrobe etc), were needed elsewhere to make the double, if you understand what I mean.

No Paulmold my dimensions are correct and it is definitely the nearside single across the sliding door that is the 6ft 4. As Ramblers said it goes underneath the cantilevered wardrobe. The offside bed is wedged between the back of the higher level drivers seat and the kitchen which is why it's only 5ft 8.

I wondered if anyone has actually used the long single with the double made up like this?

Last edited by MysteryMachine on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
MysteryMachine
MysteryMachine

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hubert Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 am

Hi James
We have a 2014 Symbol and make up the double bed. I'm 5' 10" and sleeping across the van the bed is comfortable enough for me. Any taller and I think it would disturb my sleep, being unable stretch.
The offside single uses a cushion between the drivers seat and the bench and you sleep with your feet to the front of the van.
The nearside single uses a cushion under the wardrobe and you sleep with your head to the front of the van.
It is not necessary to turn either of the travelling seats round.

The additional cushions, for the single bed make up, are separate to and are not used for the double.

In effect you could use all the cushions to make a double (you could omit the cushion for the offside single and leave it at home).

Be aware that using the nearside single, your feet go below the wardrobe and therefore even with the double made up only 4' 9"  (the width of the double) would be available for your body as the rest would be overhanging the aisle.

Hope this helps and is clear

Hubert
Hubert
Hubert
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

2015 Symbol Beds Empty 2015 Symbol Beds

Post by Southwaite Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi there
I am about 15 stone & 5' 10' , like yourself a solo traveller. My Symbol is a 2014 model & I find the best bet is just to use the nearside single with the front seat as far forward as possible & the seat back lowered as far as possible then 2 standard pillows against the seat back. Leave the infill cushions at home & you have ample storage for pillows under the wardrobe.
Happy kipping
Southwaite
Southwaite

Male

Member Age : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by MysteryMachine Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi Southwaite, thanks for the information. So at 5ft 10 do you find the length of the  nearside bed a squeeze because it's supposedly 6ft 4 in length. I was more concerned about the width only being 2ft 1 inches wide and whether that was wide enough to get a decent nights sleep. 
If it's the length and width that are both a squeeze sounds like I may have to go for the Kemerton XL to get a good night's sleep.
MysteryMachine
MysteryMachine

Male

Back to top Go down

2015 Symbol Beds Empty 2015 Symbol beds

Post by Southwaite Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi Mysterymachine
 A lot will depend on how you sleep- I tend to rock & roll a .-bit but I have not fallen out yet-if you are really not sure the best bet is to find a dealer & actually try one (I did this myself).I am in Cumbria & if you are in the area you would be welcome to have a look at mine
Cheers
Southwaite
Southwaite

Male

Member Age : 84

Back to top Go down