The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol 2015

5 posters

Go down

Symbol 2015  Empty Symbol 2015

Post by Ixionman Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:24 pm

Looking at a Symbol, just looking for heads up on what we need the check for on purchase.  Our last "van" was a 1993 Harmony 2002 - 2010, which we loved.  I lot has moved on since then with vans, so looking for some practical hints on what to look for and what to expect.  
I am sure this has been asked before, but my searched skilled are letting me down confused3   

Many thanks smile!
Ixionman
Ixionman

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Symbol 2015  Empty Re: Symbol 2015

Post by Heanorboy Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:41 pm

I had a 2012 Dorset which is the same as a Symbol with a couple of Extras being a dealers "Special"

We did really like the van and making up the single beds was easy in the 2012 version, did look at a later year but did not like the way they had raised the fridge up and the bed we not so easy to make up and one less than 6ft long. 2013 was when they changed so suggest that you look at the before and after 2013 as they are quite a bit different

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Ixionman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixionman Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi David, thanks so much for you reply and advise.  We have looked at the models 2009 onwards, including the 'Marquis Dorset' will the high roof and lower floor.  If fact we thought the higher fridge and small sink and cooker was not for us, but after lots of viewings and looking at the different layouts, we surprisingly changed our mind.  We did take a look at a few Dorsets but decided we did not need the higher roof.   We made up the bed in all models and found the 2013 model with part of the bed under the wardrobe was fine for us.  Although the small single will l not suit anyone above 5 foot the the large single is fine, but we always use the double make up, so this model works for us.
It will be a big change from existing van, but the more space you have, the more you fill it!  
There seems to lots and changes with onboard gas tank and connectors for water, and we are trying to get a handle what check for.  We have gone through a long list checks but are looking for things we may not be aware of for Symbol produced in 2015 or the 2013 model in general, it looks like new vans sometimes have production issues!  

smile!
Ixionman
Ixionman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Symbol changed around 2014 to 2015 from Euro 5 to Euro 6 engines and updated headlights and slight cab changes.
I have a 2014 model and downsized from a 6.3 m van.
The Symbol is a Tardis and the models with a lower floor and elevated fridge have pros and cons over previous versions but the underslung gas tank releases the gas locker space for storage. The back end and rear door size of ours, allowed for transporting 4 number 6ft x 6ft fence panels. Previous versions with higher floors would not allow this. Drawback is the reduced amount of level worktop area when prep'ing meals
Fridge although higher, is easier for reaching stuff on the bottom shelf and has a useful cupboard underneath. 

You will develop your own storage solutions. We have two lounger chairs, elastic strapped, behind passenger seat. We use two plastic boxes for clothes which fit under the wardrobe. We leave the two long thinner infill cushions at home, usr the seat bases pushed together and  the gap at the bed end (in double layout), filled with soft cushions. Shoes and boots are in a waterproof plastic box which sits outside when on site. (nobody has ever nicked them). Hope this gives you some help in choosing the right Symbol for you, you wont be disappointed.

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Ixionman and SENTINEL like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by andyh Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:08 am

We also have the earlier Euro 5 2014 model after previously owning a 2002 Symbol. There are a couple of things we miss from the 2002 version: table mount in centre of van for larger table; drop down doors on bench and third passenger seat housings. The larger table now provided is a naff and awkward solution. The drop down doors made for easier access to the storage space. But that's about it internally.
The main issue we had with the 2014 model was with the Whale water filling system where, if you want to top up water, a bucket and Whale pump are needed. It's fussy and unnecessary. The best modification we made, therefore, was to get Autosleepers to fit an additional and conventional water filling point. It's now simple to top up with a watering can. Worth the extra cost IMHO and AS did a good job.
We've no regrets about buying the Symbols. The 2014 model is 5.4m long, so parking is generally not a problem. No problems with storage either. They've proved to be amazingly versatile for longer trips (25 nights is our longest trip away) and for day outings equally (been brilliant to have all the on board facilities in lockdown).
Good luck with your decision making:)
andyh
andyh
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59

Ixionman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:30 am

I have the 2017 which is practically identical apart from a few small upgrades to the Truma system (I think).

Here's a sales walkaround of a 2015 if you want more of an indepth view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_R4tkrQb8

There's nothing I would say to really specifically check for, except the usual of making sure everything works as it should.

Make sure all the appliances work, especially the fridge, on EHU, gas and 'battery' mode (battery can be hard from a viewers point of view as no way to check without a long drive, but mainly make sure the gas / EHU is working).

Check the working of the Sargent EC500 unit - the main display is over the sliding door (shown in the video) and the unit itself is in the cupboard under the oven.  If it has solar fitted, make sure a charge is getting to the batteries - use the EC500 display to check the voltages.  Coming from an older van, this aspect will be the biggest change, as most of the electrical stuff is controlled through this single unit.  It powers the 12V, the lights, water pump and battery charging.  The heating/hot water is through the Truma controls to the right of the Sargent display.  It's not difficult once you get used to it, but it will seem a bit alien if you've not used before.  With solar, there's (many) threads on here regarding the issues of the EC500 units and a lot of us made modifications.  It's not something to get into here, but if you'll be doing a lot of wild camping or at least non-EHU then it might be worth looking into that at a later date, but for now don't worry about that side of things, it all works well enough for the majority of people  smile!

Usual check of water pump, toilet flush, no leaks etc etc, but other than that I've found ours to be a really nice versatile solid van  up!
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Vehicle Year : 2017

Ixionman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixionman Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:31 pm

marbarsymbol wrote:Symbol changed around 2014 to 2015 from Euro 5 to Euro 6 engines and updated headlights and slight cab changes.
I have a 2014 model and downsized from a 6.3 m van.
The Symbol is a Tardis and the models with a lower floor and elevated fridge have pros and cons over previous versions but the underslung gas tank releases the gas locker space for storage. The back end and rear door size of ours, allowed for transporting 4 number 6ft x 6ft fence panels. Previous versions with higher floors would not allow this. Drawback is the reduced amount of level worktop area when prep'ing meals
Fridge although higher, is easier for reaching stuff on the bottom shelf and has a useful cupboard underneath. 

You will develop your own storage solutions. We have two lounger chairs, elastic strapped, behind passenger seat. We use two plastic boxes for clothes which fit under the wardrobe. We leave the two long thinner infill cushions at home, usr the seat bases pushed together and  the gap at the bed end (in double layout), filled with soft cushions. Shoes and boots are in a waterproof plastic box which sits outside when on site. (nobody has ever nicked them). Hope this gives you some help in choosing the right Symbol for you, you wont be disappointed.

Martin
Hi Martin, thanks for your advice.  It made we laugh about the fence panels, the vans with back doors so are soo useful, which we found with our Talbot Harmony,  there is a limit in what you can get in a golf! The stuffing cushions in the gap it a great idea, as the proper cushions are awkward to fit elsewhere. We are pretty sure we have chosen the right van. We have emptied out current van and will be very selective in what goes the next one.smile!
Ixionman
Ixionman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:51 pm

Only managed 4 panels of fencing as they have to go into the back doors at about 80 degree angle then return to vertical.
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75

Ixionman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixionman Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 pm

andyh wrote:We also have the earlier Euro 5 2014 model after previously owning a 2002 Symbol. There are a couple of things we miss from the 2002 version: table mount in centre of van for larger table; drop down doors on bench and third passenger seat housings. The larger table now provided is a naff and awkward solution. The drop down doors made for easier access to the storage space. But that's about it internally.
The main issue we had with the 2014 model was with the Whale water filling system where, if you want to top up water, a bucket and Whale pump are needed. It's fussy and unnecessary. The best modification we made, therefore, was to get Autosleepers to fit an additional and conventional water filling point. It's now simple to top up with a watering can. Worth the extra cost IMHO and AS did a good job.
We've no regrets about buying the Symbols. The 2014 model is 5.4m long, so parking is generally not a problem. No problems with storage either. They've proved to be amazingly versatile for longer trips (25 nights is our longest trip away) and for day outings equally (been brilliant to have all the on board facilities in lockdown).
Good luck with your decision making:)
Hi Andy, thanks for you input, is it really appreciated.  I was thinking we may leave the table at home as we never use the one in the Nuevo, as this will leave space for chairs etc.  Not Familiar with the Whale watering system, so we may need to look that is, but it sounds like you have found a good solution. 
I am very impressed with your 25 nights, however if we have done out of a medium suitcases on hols  hugegrins

We were thinking of using the the soft bags we have that meets the Ryans Air dimensions, and putting them behind the singe seat, it is surprised what you can get in them, if you don't mind a few creased.
Ixionman
Ixionman

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixionman Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:06 pm

Greyhound wrote:I have the 2017 which is practically identical apart from a few small upgrades to the Truma system (I think).

Here's a sales walkaround of a 2015 if you want more of an indepth view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_R4tkrQb8

There's nothing I would say to really specifically check for, except the usual of making sure everything works as it should.

Make sure all the appliances work, especially the fridge, on EHU, gas and 'battery' mode (battery can be hard from a viewers point of view as no way to check without a long drive, but mainly make sure the gas / EHU is working).

Check the working of the Sargent EC500 unit - the main display is over the sliding door (shown in the video) and the unit itself is in the cupboard under the oven.  If it has solar fitted, make sure a charge is getting to the batteries - use the EC500 display to check the voltages.  Coming from an older van, this aspect will be the biggest change, as most of the electrical stuff is controlled through this single unit.  It powers the 12V, the lights, water pump and battery charging.  The heating/hot water is through the Truma controls to the right of the Sargent display.  It's not difficult once you get used to it, but it will seem a bit alien if you've not used before.  With solar, there's (many) threads on here regarding the issues of the EC500 units and a lot of us made modifications.  It's not something to get into here, but if you'll be doing a lot of wild camping or at least non-EHU then it might be worth looking into that at a later date, but for now don't worry about that side of things, it all works well enough for the majority of people  smile!

Usual check of water pump, toilet flush, no leaks etc etc, but other than that I've found ours to be a really nice versatile solid van  up!
Hi Greyhound, thanks for the info, I had a look at the youtube link you sent, it matches to the van we are looking at.  We will take on board the info of the EC500 display as this is all new to us.  The old manual ones were sometimes at bit hit as miss anyway.  The other half is an electrician and engineer, so he will be responsible for that side, but this information helps a lot thanks.  The video showed two types of water intake, so I am assuming that we can the pump for water from a container or by other inlet for the hose fill! This was mentions by Andy, so I hope I have got this right!  The van does not has a Solar panel but there is connections for this, but we have never had solar had this before, so is it a question as to whether we need it. Feeling really exciting now allthumbz
Ixionman
Ixionman

Female

Back to top Go down