The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Single beds in Symbol

+4
jollywalker
Boston Blue
peugeotboxer
Taurian
8 posters

Go down

Single beds in Symbol Empty Single beds in Symbol

Post by Taurian Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:39 pm

Well I ve been playing about with my new acquisition today and sussed most things out but, try as I may, I cannot see how anyone over 5' 6'' tall can sleep on either the off side or nearside bed in single bed formation.  Ive pushed the front seats as far forward as they can go but there still isn't enough length.  How do you guys manage it if you are like me and 6' tall.   I can make up the bed in a double format and  can lie across the van with enough room but, as a single camper ,I was hoping not to have to make up a double bed every night  but I see no other option.  Any advice from any other Symbol owners with a 2003 'ish  model.?
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Single beds in Symbol Empty Re: Single beds in Symbol

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:16 pm

I turn the front seats, remove the headrests and fold the back down as far as it will go.
Mine is a Harmony but I think they were very similar at that age.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Blue Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Have you got the infill cushions that fit between front seats and beds ? 

Chris
Boston Blue
Boston Blue

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : BOXER; SUSSEX. ES
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Boston Blue wrote:Have you got the infill cushions that fit between front seats and beds ? 

Chris
Hi Chris, Yes I have all the necessary infill cushions.  The cushions aren't the problem though.  There is just not enough room  for me to lie flat. Even with the front seats pushed fully forward and with my head touching the cooker wall on the offside or the wardrobe wall on the nearside, the front seat backs restrict me lying flat.  My Symbol is based on the MWB boxer - is there a LWB Boxer body ?  I just can't see how anyone of 6 feet can comfortably use the single side beds in a MWB Symbol.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:25 am

Hi Chris,
I have the Duetto, and on the odd occasion that I am joined by my youngest son, who is well over six feet tall, I make up the nearside single for extra length. If you leave the passenger seat facing the rear and pull the bed to meet it without using the infill cushion (you may need to adjust passenger seat fore or aft to meet) you get a very long single using the seat squab for the feet.
Hope that helps in a Symbol.
Jollywalker
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 am

I'm 5'11" and could comfortably lie on the offside single when we had the Symphony. The Symphony and the replacement Symbol were only made on the MWB Boxer (the Harmony and Rhapsody on the SWB). Just in case you haven't got the infills correctly this is the layout, copied from an early thread..

''There should be 3 cushions. The small one which normally lives behind rear single seat with a 'flap' goes in the gap behind drivers seat after the armrest is lifted and folded. The L shaped one goes between the back of the front passenger seat and the end of the laid flat rear single seat. The L bit is to go round the pillar of the seatbelt. Then the largest of the cushions fits between these two cushions if using as large double bed. It's not needed if you can sleep in the double across the van.
If you are comfortable in the double across the van you can leave all 3 cushions at home.''

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:38 am

jollywalker wrote:Hi Chris,
I have the Duetto, and on the odd occasion that I am joined by my youngest son, who is well over six feet tall, I make up the nearside single for extra length. If you leave the passenger seat facing the rear and pull the bed to meet it without using the infill cushion (you may need to adjust passenger seat fore or aft to meet) you get a very long single using the seat squab for the feet.
Hope that helps in a Symbol.
Jollywalker
I had considered that option except the passenger seat in the Symbol is  higher that the single  nearside seat  which means that when the single seat is laid flat to make the single bed, the passenger seat squab is too high.  I will have to play around with some type of mattress topper to try and get them the same height.  Failing that I will just have to use the double bed option and sleep across the van. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rich g Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:57 am

I have the Warwick and I can adjust the height of the passenger seat   by a lever on the left hand side of the seat,not sure if yours is the same but worth a look.
rich g
rich g

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by busby65 Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 am

It is possible to fit a lower frame to the passenger front seat.The previous owner of mine had done this. When the nearside rear is folded flat the passenger seat is then only a couple of ins higher. I have a wedge shaped cushion (had it made) which sits on rear seat to level and i am very comfortable. Not as tall as you 5ft 9ins,,,but quite stocky but sleep very well. BUSBY65.
busby65
busby65
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:35 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:I turn the front seats, remove the headrests and fold the back down as far as it will go.

PB
Taurian..............did the above work?

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by jollywalker Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Chris, in that case, when I go away with my dog, she sleeps with me under the duvet. I don't make up the full double, but pull the settee section across to join the single seat and use the infill cushion against the drivers seat. There is then plenty of sleeping room, and feet can hang over the end of the bed into the void between wardrobe and kitchen if needed. It takes seconds to do, and you can still easily access the side door if needed.
The side seat is not moved, the passenger seat can be left rear facing. It works for me.
Jollywalker
jollywalker
jollywalker

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:
peugeotboxer wrote:I turn the front seats, remove the headrests and fold the back down as far as it will go.

PB
Taurian..............did the above work?

PB
No, only the passenger seat turns on the Symbol.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Paulmold wrote:I'm 5'11" and could comfortably lie on the offside single when we had the Symphony. The Symphony and the replacement Symbol were only made on the MWB Boxer (the Harmony and Rhapsody on the SWB). Just in case you haven't got the infills correctly this is the layout, copied from an early thread..

''There should be 3 cushions. The small one which normally lives behind rear single seat with a 'flap' goes in the gap behind drivers seat after the armrest is lifted and folded. The L shaped one goes between the back of the front passenger seat and the end of the laid flat rear single seat. The L bit is to go round the pillar of the seatbelt. Then the largest of the cushions fits between these two cushions if using as large double bed. It's not needed if you can sleep in the double across the van.
If you are comfortable in the double across the van you can leave all 3 cushions at home.''
I'm not sure that  as my symbol is a 4 berth there are some subtle differences.   I don't have an armrest on the settee but I do have 3 infill cushions but not as described in your post above. I have 2 small infills and 1 larger oblong one that has a rigid L shaped bracket on each end - obviously to bridge something although I haven't tried to find out where yet.  To be honest, if I pull the settee out to meet the nearside single seat there is ample room to lie across the van so I could probably leave the three cushions at home and utilise the storage space under the settee where the  infill cushions live at the moment.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:38 pm

rich g wrote:I have the Warwick and I can adjust the height of the passenger seat   by a lever on the left hand side of the seat,not sure if yours is the same but worth a look.
No, mine doesn't have that facility.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Ours is a 2006 Symbol, you can raise or lower the front seats with 2 levers, one lifts and lowers the front, the other the back. You do need to sit on the seats to adjust them. It may be worth looking at the front of the seats, below the seat cushion, front corners for the levers.

Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurian Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:Ours is a 2006 Symbol, you can raise or lower the front seats with 2 levers, one lifts and lowers the front, the other the back. You do need to sit on the seats to adjust them. It may be worth looking at the front of the seats, below the seat cushion, front corners for the levers.

Paul
Hi Paul,  Unfortunately 3 years in camper van manufacturing has seen a lot of changes to the model - some good, some bad!! My drivers seat  has all manner of positions available but the passenger seat only  swivels and that's it. OK it can move backwards and forward and you can alter the rake of the seat back but thats all.   Still like it though allthumbz
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Back to top Go down