The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol single beds

5 posters

Go down

Symbol single beds Empty Symbol single beds

Post by Aldercow Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Dear All
Need to downsize van to fit in my parking space where I now live, hence thinking about a standard 5.4mtre long Symbol. Could I ask for some feedback from Symbol owners who use their single beds. How easy they are to make up & how comfortable they are. I’m 6 foot tall & partner is 5 feet 9 inches. The Symbol beds are different lengths on each side with the one by the sliding side door being longer as your feet go under the floating wardrobe.
Also how do people get on with lounging if you sit in the cab seats - can they be lowered enough so they are level with the rear seats.
Many thanks. Andy
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Mercedes Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Symbol single beds Empty Re: Symbol single beds

Post by Greyhound Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:19 pm

The single beds are a slight compromise in the symbol, as you mention the bench seat doesn't really extend, so that's the potential problem.

The one by the door (again like you say) is decent enough as your legs fit under the cupboard and allows decent room.  I'm 5"11 and have no problem with that one.

Probably the biggest single thing I wish I could change about the Symbol is the fact the cab seats are raised and no way to lower to the level of the main area seating. It's not a massive issue and you get used to it, but would make things so much easier. IMO this is where the old transit Duetto is better than its modern equivalent.

Setting the beds are really easy though. The one by the sliding door literally slides down to lie flat in seconds and there's a cushion under the cabinet ready to form the complete bed.

You should be fine on the slide out bed, but your partner may find the bench seat a little snug, but with knees slightly bent it should be comfortable enough.

We pull ours out to make the full double and then it really comes into its own. The bed is basically then a full size double as you lie across the van and there's plenty of room as it's actually probably wider than a standard double bed.

It's a fantastic van for the compromise between size and facilities, but sounds like you definitely need to view one just to be sure. Find a decent dealer and they'll usually be more than happy to let you try the beds out :)
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Andy
I echo everything said above.

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Our van is the new configuration with the raised plinth for the front seats. Older models pre 2012/13 have the level floor and the single beds utilise the front seats to make up the single beds. I find in the new configuration  at 5' 7" I can just about manage on the shorter length bed but it can be pulled out to make it wider. My husband finds the length of the other single bed is fine but finds it too narrow and he is still slim with a 33" waist if that helps you decide whether you could manage. We normally make it up to a double which is quick to do and enjoy the extra space. For one night on a quick overnight stop we  manage with the two singles but both of us sleep better on  the double bed configuration.  Having Duvalays helps as there is no need for sheets etc and the memory foam bases make a comfortable  bed even better.
P.S the symbol is a doddle to park as it fits into most spots on car parks that don't have height barriers or aren't multistory. As suggested find a dealer who has one and make up the single bed configuration and try it out. 
With regard to the two captains seats we find them comfortable. The passenger one can be swiveled round completely and the drivers 3/4 way round. They are on a raised platform so it's no problem with regard to having some where to rest your feet, no dangling!. I also like to put down the single passenger seat when watching TV as it makes a great place to put your feet up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:17 pm

Our Symbol has the raised front seats. Both will rotate if the seat cushion behind the drivers seat is moved. Hubby is 6 ft and I am 5 ft 6 so we thought the beds would be fine. I found the shorter bed too short to be comfortable. Our solution - We store our bedding in 2 Really Useful Boxes which fit under the wardrobe during the day. At night with the drivers seat rotated and pushed as far back as possible, the 2 boxes fit under the mattress, with the back cushion laid flat next to them. This is a firm base for the mattress to sit on and raises it to the same level as the drivers seat and makes the bed long enough to stretch out on. We didn't want a longer van because it would make parking on the drive at home difficult also the shorter van fits in a regular parking bay whilst out and about.
StanRVan

Female

Member Age : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Interesting idea StanRvan. Even with the drivers seat pushed back and the extending  cushion removed our drivers chair wont turn round completely as it catches on the open box section at the cab end of the settee. I have thought of removing a couple of milimetres off the edge of the box but never got round  to it. Rather than use boxes  which  will  take  up  a lot  of  storage space would a narrow blow up lilo have the same effect on raising the bed height upto the same level as the drivers seat?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:07 pm

That's a nuisance Pnefan! We do have to jiggle the seat back and forth to get it round the hand brake but it's easy enough once you know how. The boxes store the bedding which would have to go somewhere anyway and they don't take up much room. I suppose a lilo might work if it was thick enough. Worth a try, it might not be very stable if you sit on the edge of the bed.
StanRVan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:35 pm

What size boxes do you use?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by StanRVan Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:45 pm

We use two, 33L boxes. 710 long x 440 wide x 165 deep.
StanRVan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Bear in mind that the Symbol changed substantially 2012/13 when it lost the modified roof and the hab floor was dropped to provide headroom. The bed arrangements were substantially altered at the same time.

I much prefer the external look of the raised roof Symbol but can see that opting for the lower factory steel one must've saved an awful lot of cost.

I believe you can sometimes find an ES Symbol which presumably means the offside rear seat/bed matches the nearside one. It can still be used as a settee, but gives you the option of a fourth belted seat.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:19 pm

I agree the single beds in the new layout Symbol aren't as good as the older layout but it's still very easy to make up the double bed. For the odd occasion I cope with the shorter bed by putting my feet between the outside edge of the driver's seat and the van wall. Being able to pull the bed out to make it wider also helps as I tend to sleep on my side curled up. The bed length isn't too big a problem though for us. We don't use the van for weeks on end just for several days at a time so find its versatility parking and driving wise far make up for the having to make up the double bed when staying somewhere for a couple of days
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by marbarsymbol Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:51 pm

Proper double bed make up requires use of two 6 inch x 6 inch x 2 ft 6 inch (approx) infill cushions with the seat and seat back.
We now leave the infill cushions at home making up the double from the bed frame pulled out to meet the opened up third seat. The bench seat  pulled across and the bench seat back dropped down to abut the seat. This leaves a 6 inch gap under the side window (drivers side) about 5 foot long which we fill with soft cushions. We use a 2 inch memory foam topper which covers the complete bed area and the gap. Sleeping across the van, the gap area can be under the pillows or beneath your feet. Either way it is not a problem and saves taking and storing the infill cushions.

Martin
marbarsymbol
marbarsymbol

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Overall I get the impression that those of us that decided  the Symbol fitted our requirements don't find the bed arrangements a problem.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldercow Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:44 pm

Many thanks all for your feedback. Cheers Andy
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Mercedes Stanton

Back to top Go down