The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Symphony Hot Water Problem

3 posters

Go down

Peugeot Symphony Hot Water Problem Empty Peugeot Symphony Hot Water Problem

Post by GeekTeacher Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:42 am

Hi again everyone,

I'm still very new to motorhoming and I've had a bucketload of problems since buying my 1997 Peugeot Symphony in October. I'm hoping to be past the worst now, but after refilling my van with water since draining it down fully for the winter, I'm experiencing hot water problems in the kitchen and bathroom sinks. The cold water flows fine, but sometimes the hot water doesn't flow at all and at other times only very weakly before petering out. I'm hoping it's just an airlock, and flowing some cold water at the same time as the hot seems to help it get going for a bit, before it dies out again. The temperature seems OK after being given time to warm up, but the water pump is making an intermittent noise all the time it is switched on. Is this just a pump priming noise and should it stop?

Any help appreciated as we're hoping to go away for one night on Saturday for what will be only our second overnight stay.

Cheers, Martyn.

Last edited by GeekTeacher on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
GeekTeacher
GeekTeacher

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : None

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Symphony Hot Water Problem Empty Re: Peugeot Symphony Hot Water Problem

Post by fenderbender Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:58 am

Intermittent pump noise sounds like a leak somewhere, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:23 pm

By the way I have the same van same year and had a similar problem, it turned out to be a leak at the bathroom tap connection, you can get to it by removing the plywood panel at the back of the van when you open the rear doors, one of the tap connectors had come loose.
Don't let it stop you going away, drain the tank go on a site with electric hook up, take a kettle and a water container, make sure you switch water heater off.

Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Yes the pump shouldn't make any noise with all the taps turned off. I had the same trouble with our 2001 Symbol when we first got it (same water system as the Symphony). I agree with Fenderbender that it's worth checking easy things like taps first. However, the leaks on ours turned out to be around the heater itself. I had to remove the heater completely and tighten up the long bolt that ties the water cylinder to the heat exchanger. I temporarily hooked the heater up to a mains water supply with the other connection blocked and gradually tightened the bolt until the leak stopped. It also took two goes to get the water connections to the heater tight enough. The connections are plastic and can get broken if they're done up too tight, so I was being maybe over-cautious. Since I did all that work, the system has worked fine and, with all taps turned off, we hardly ever get any pump "ticks". I think the occasional tick is due to temperature changes.

Regards

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by GeekTeacher Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks for your replies Dave and Mike.