The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol Charging

+2
Stewart John
Brian_K
6 posters

Go down

Symbol Charging Empty Symbol Charging

Post by Brian_K Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Unfortunately my 2004 AS Symbol never came with the factory manual and I’m a little confused about the EHU requirements.

When on EHU will both leisure and engine batteries be charging, or do I need to alter the rocker switch to a certain position. The left hand switch is marked “HAB” and “Vehicle” as shown in the picture below. With a mid position, which I’m not sure means it will charge both or is in fact “Off”.

Symbol Charging Batttery_zpsmtdzde2d

Thanks

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Symbol Charging Empty Re: Symbol Charging

Post by Brian_K Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Sorry, just to add one more question to the above. When on EHU with the sole purpose of charging the batteries, is some form of controller recommended, or is this inbuilt into the system?

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi

I had a 2004 Symbol, it will not charge the vehicle and habitation at the same time. Must use the Hab / Vehicle switch to alternate.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Stewart John wrote:Hi

I had a 2004 Symbol, it will not charge the vehicle and habitation at the same time. Must use the Hab / Vehicle switch to alternate.
Many thanks, I had figured that was the case but wasn't sure.

Did you use some form of charging controller or is it OK just to plug in?

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi Brian

As they say plug in and go all the charging controllers are on board. The battery charger should be under the cupboard below the oven. Lift the two boards out at the bottom of the cupboard.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks again Stewart, peace of mind at last   up!

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:55 pm

Just another point on this - the battery condition meter only shows the leisure battery irrespective of the charger rocker switch position.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Paulmold wrote:Just another point on this - the battery condition meter only shows the leisure battery irrespective of the charger rocker switch position.

Not what I was told on handover. He said to move the rocker switch to either "Hab" or "Vehicle" then check condition.

Then again he told me the Symbol only had one table, guess what I found when I opened the "wardrobe", yep, the second table.

Make you wonder about these handovers???

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi,
This maybe stating the bl***ding obvious but I found that I needed to switch everything in my Harmony off at the main box before plugging in and disconnecting from the mains. If not it blows my 30amp Hab. fuse under the drivers seat which needs double jointed fingers to replace it !!
Hope this helps.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:49 pm

newterry wrote:Hi,
This maybe stating the bl***ding obvious but I found that I needed to switch everything in my Harmony off at the main box before plugging in and disconnecting from the mains. If not it blows my 30amp Hab. fuse under the drivers seat which needs double jointed fingers to replace it !!
Hope this helps.

Thanks newterry, trust me, nothing is bl**ding obvious to me and I appreciate your comment.

Trouble is, with my knees (hips and back), that’s not going to happen (why are all these switches, gas knobs etc. down at ankle height???).

But so far no problem, I’ve connected it up a couple of times at home and i'm off on my first trip this weekend (I’ve forewarned the campsite to be gentle, incoming newbie scratch head )

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:40 pm

I eventually found that the fuse holder can be pulled of its bracket for access!
First time out, remember, van to hook up on arrival, loop spare cable, no coils.
Hook up to van on departure.
ps My 1st rule of motorcaravanning- make you've got a folding trolley for the heavy stuff eg. full toilet cassette......
Have a great time. allthumbz

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:00 pm

Up to speed on the cable layout. I have a few folding trolley’s, but on this occasion I’m only going for one night (reasonably local), to see what problems I encounter (single bed or double bed, cooker, fridge, water heater etc.). Taking the dog with me, so we’ll see how he takes to it. At the very least he’ll have a good walk out.

Weather is looking the best it’s been this year, so that’s a step in the right direction.

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:16 pm

Brian,
Single beds every time, no climbing over a body for the loo in the night and fewer infill cushions taking up storage space !!!!!
Don't forget to take a 5litre water bottle for tea making so as to avoid tank water- yuk.
There's plenty more tips but I won't bore everyone, they're well documented elsewhere on this forum, search for 'tips for newbies'.

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 pm

We take 2 x 2ltr water bottles as they fit in the symbol driver and passenger door trims.

Have fun
Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 pm

newterry wrote:Brian,
Single beds every time, no climbing over a body for the loo in the night and fewer infill cushions taking up storage space !!!!!
Don't forget to take a 5litre water bottle for tea making so as to avoid tank water- yuk.
There's plenty more tips but I won't bore everyone, they're well documented elsewhere on this forum, search for 'tips for newbies'.Yes, I figured a single bed was the way to go. There’s only myself and the pooch now, he’s only 16 weeks, so when he want’s to go, he wants to go NOW, scrabbling about would not be a good idea. I bought a 2.5cm Duvalay, so I’m looking forward to trying that out.

Yes, I figured a single bed was the way to go. There’s only myself and the pooch now (widowed), he’s only 16 weeks, so when he want’s to go, he wants to go NOW, scrabbling about in the dark would not be a good idea. I bought a 2.5cm Duvalay, so I’m looking forward to trying that out.

Not sure whether to use the bed by the sliding door or the offside, but those are the things I want to sort out.  I like the idea of 2 x 2lts of water in the door (at least for this short trip), leaves room for a couple of cans of Guinness in the fridge allthumbz  

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:57 pm

The offside single will leave the sliding door free and we used sleeping bags, 1 under and sleep in the top one to smooth out the lumps and bumps.
Fitting the 2 smaller bottles of water in the door pockets is a great idea.
If you're going on a CC site you'll need best bib & tucker too hugegrins

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:41 pm

newterry wrote:The offside single will leave the sliding door free and we used sleeping bags, 1 under and sleep in the top one to smooth out the lumps and bumps.
Fitting the 2 smaller bottles of water in the door pockets is a great idea.
If you're going on a CC site you'll need best bib & tucker too hugegrins

Looking good, Duvalay fits a treat. Measured the length, 5' 8", spot on as I'm 5' 71/2" (it's funny, I remember being 5" 8 1/2" at one time  smile! )

Symbol Charging Bed_zpsxskndxlf

Getting excited now.

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Brian,
I think you've cracked it, nice one. Hope you've got a checklist...... snigger
Terry

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:36 am

We seem to have lost track of the battery charging issue ! This has been something puzzling me so this post prompted some action.
I connected the hook-up cable and deployed my trusty voltmeter. The results show that the rocket switch does indeed direct the charge selectively either to the habitation battery or the vehicle battery. In the central position it was charging both batteries. In this switch position, however, I measured a rise in voltage at both batteries but at a lower voltage increase than the sum of the voltage increases when the batteries are charged individually.
I have always understood that one should not attempt to charge two batteries of different specifications and I think that in this situation the battery holding the higher charge may be limiting the output of the charging unit to the other battery.
Conclusion for me is.... charge just the battery that needs it, usually the habitation battery. I am convinced that leaving the switch in the central position will lead to inefficient charging of the habitation battery.
If there's a tame electrical engineer out there, please comment.
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian_K Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:33 am

KMRTOPAZ wrote:We seem to have lost track of the battery charging issue ! This has been something puzzling me so this post prompted some action.
I connected the hook-up cable and deployed my trusty voltmeter. The results show that the rocket switch does indeed direct the charge selectively either to the habitation battery or the vehicle battery. In the central position it was charging both batteries. In this switch position, however, I measured a rise in voltage at both batteries but at a lower voltage increase than the sum of the voltage increases when the batteries are charged individually.
I have always understood that one should not attempt to charge two batteries of different specifications and I think that in this situation the battery holding the higher charge may be limiting the output of the charging unit to the other battery.
Conclusion for me is.... charge just the battery that needs it, usually the habitation battery. I am convinced that leaving the switch in the central position will lead to inefficient charging of the habitation battery.
If there's a tame electrical engineer out there, please comment.
Thanks for that, I'm no electrician but your findings seem in line with what happens in my vehicle. I did eventually find the owners manual (stowed away at the back of a cupboard), so I'll give that a good read this weekend while trying things out. 

Brian
Brian_K
Brian_K

Male

Back to top Go down