The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto

4 posters

Go down

manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto Empty manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto

Post by alpall Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:22 pm

Yesterday, I thought I had nothing better to do than go this Friday and view a 1998 automatic ford duetto which if it was OK I would buy and then I discovered today there is a 1996 manual vw topaz for sale locally to view tomorrow. I've been chatting about the automatic duetto on another topic heading and I thought I was all set for the duetto, now I'm totally confused.  This will be my first campervan. I haven't read many comments on the Topaz. 

HELP.  
Manual -v- Automatic
1996 VW Topaz -v- 1998 Ford Duetto
alpall
alpall

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto automatic

Back to top Go down

manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto Empty Re: manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto

Post by Guest Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:10 pm

Hi
In a nutshell:-
Duetto:- more room, bigger, full cooker, more van like to drive, more agricultural engine. Easy to maintain.
Topaz:- more compact, smaller, 2 burner cooker,  more car like to drive. smooth engine  Easy to maintain.

Go and see both and try to get a drive of both.

Regards

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto Empty Re: manual vw topaz or automatic ford duetto

Post by Guest Wed 10 Jul 2013, 6:14 am

Forgot to mention
Duetto = RWD...... Topaz = FWD
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed 10 Jul 2013, 2:18 pm

Agreed - you need to sit in and drive both, and also assess what it would be like to be stuck inside for the day when it's chucking it down outside.

The Duetto should feel more spacious, but definitely more "van-like" to drive. Strangely I always preferred the harder ride of the Transits, yet found the VW more relaxing to drive on long runs.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Wed 10 Jul 2013, 9:53 pm

Just back from a 1000 mile trip in my T4 Topaz. I've owned it for around 5 years and no plans to swap. It is easy to drive, fast enough for motorways and fits supermarket parking bays if no height restrictions. Get a test drive in both Ford and VW. You have to live with it so be comfortable.
The van is manual but with a broad power band it is relaxing to drive.
My daily drive is an automatic VW Polo which I also enjoy.
If you can drive manual and auto go for the vehicle which is in the better condition.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by alpall Sat 13 Jul 2013, 10:08 am

I've finally got my campervan hooray!

I bought the duetto and drove it down from Nairn to Stirling last night and it drove really well.  I didn't even go and look at the VW but saw photos and it wasn't in as good condition as the duetto. I'm happy with my choice.  Quite excited now and looking forward to going away in it and meeting fellow autosleeper owners to compare notes.  I'm spening the day cleaning it up and polishing it today, now I know why people name their vans...  I love it.

Many thanks for everyone's input, it has been very helpful indeed in helping me make my decision.
hoover_smiley11 egyptian
alpall
alpall

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto automatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:04 pm

Hi there
Glad you have found a van.... don't forget when is nice and clean to post up a pic.
Enjoy:smile!: 

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Celticbiker Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:10 pm

Congratulations on your purchase.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Celticbiker
Celticbiker

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1998 ish

Back to top Go down