The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting gaslow system to symbol

+6
ejgaking
roli
squip
murph
Zozzer
winter camper
10 posters

Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty Fitting gaslow system to symbol

Post by winter camper Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Gaslo029Fitting gaslow system to symbol Gaslo025Fitting gaslow system to symbol Gaslo031

As requested by Squip,
Initially I was going to fit the filler in the side of the van but that meant removing the gas locker quite a big job so I fitted it to the sill. I ran the filler hose through one of the drop out vents. To support the filler mounting I made up an angled bracket and screwed that to the sill with screws supplied in the fitting kit.
I haven't filled the bottle yet as the nearest lpg station is miles away. The system does work as there was a small amount of gas in it and we used it to make cups of tea on a day out.
winter camper
winter camper

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty Re: Fitting gaslow system to symbol

Post by Zozzer Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:00 pm

You DON'T have to remove the gas locker to fit the filler on the side of the van, but it is nessacery to remove the gas locker door for ease of access.

I had my gaslow filler put on the side of the van by Dave Newell of Telford, and all that is needed drill long enough to go through the outer and inner wall at the same time.
Then fit the 72mm hole saw into the powerdrill using the previously drilled hole as a pilot to drill through the outer wall. Next go inside the van and again using the 72mm hole saw drill through the inner wall. Remove the insulation material from the cavity and proceed to fit the gas fitting assembly and pipework. Before Dave drilled through the side he did tell me that there is a strengthening member on the side of the van in the area where the filler was going. Luckily we missed it. But if anyone wants the position dimensions, let me know and I'll measure them.

We've never looked back since, filled up several times. The system may be expensive, it may never pay for it's self, but at least we now don't have to lug the bottles in and out or bother about running out of gas. I used to hate having to buy a refilled gas bottle before venturing abroad just to make sure we had enough gas for the holidays.

Zozzer
Zozzer

Male

Back to top Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty Here's my system

Post by murph Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi all,
Zozer has shown his version of a gaslow system, here is mine although this is shown on a coachbuilt, itwas origionaly used on a van conversion with the gas locker accesible through the rear doFitting gaslow system to symbol SANY0367ors. sorry it is shown son its side.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Winter camper
Thanks for the pics they are very clear and very helpful.
That is exactly how I was going to install in my van but I was advised that the filler would get very dirty in that low position and there may then be an issue with sealing of the filler cap. I was not convinced that this would be a problem but I have not gone any further with the plan yet.

squip

ps what is the black trunking in your gas locker??
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 am

Murph,,, I was talking to Autogas about me fitting one of their systems similar the way you have done and they reconned people have had problems at filling stations, where they have stopped as the filling station think they are filling a cylinder directly though an adaptor. Have you had any problems like this Brian ? Its just the Windsors skin is so thin, no way would I mount the filler in its body and to go below sill level would get the pipework gunged up as its behind one of the wheels and also very low in a similar position to yours.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty no problems

Post by murph Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 am

This system has been in use since we bought the van a year last May, and prior to that on a van conversion, since then it has visited the UK 7 or 8 times for a usually 2 week trip and been topped up generally 2 or 3 times per trip, just to make sure we dont run out, (our cylinder is one of the early ones without a gauge) and so far I have never had any trouble, no one has even queried it, though I must admit though I have heard of the problem you refer to, we do have a book of where the stations are so if sombody did refuse we would just go to the next nearest supplier. Im not sure off hand where we got the book from but I believe they are on the internet.

murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by winter camper Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 am

Hi all,
Squip, Done about 1k miles including muddy dirt tracks and fields and our lovely rain soaked roads. Just had a look inside filler and it's clean as a whistle so dirt ingress doesn't seem to be a problem. The black trunking appear to be fresh air vents.
Zozzer thanks for the info. There's a small access panel at the back of the gas locker for the seat belt mounting I removed this and had a poke about inside and yes I found the strengthening member. I agree with you that it may never pay for itself but running out of gas is one less thing to worry about.
The only thing I don't like is filling it they take ages to fill and I got a saw thumb holding the button on the pump. But then again it's much quicker than driving around trying to find an exchange calor bottle faffing around with spanners and wrestling it in and out of the gas locker especially on the symbol where there's no room for manoeuvring.
winter camper
winter camper

Male

Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Zozzer Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zozzer
Zozzer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zozzer Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33 pm

For some reason I could post the internal view with the message above.

As you can see I also have a small 3.9Kg propane bottle and manual switch over. It what i had prior to getting a Gaslow bottle and thought I would leave it in. To be honest we haven't needed to use it

We've never had any problems filling it, but I have been given some strange looks by car drivers. Had to laugh, one day a driver waiting to fill his car asked how many miles to gallon do I get using gas. Well I couldn't resist and said "Well I get a lot more using diesel". He looked puzzled and I smiled when I explained that the gas was for the cooker and fridge. Having filled up and replaced the filler nozzle, and and sticking my thumb up, I said "There you go, now we are cooking with gas."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zozzer
Zozzer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:36 pm

To follow on from the helpful info that has been given I tried to look up the Gaslow website to download their latest catalogue but was unable to connect. Do they have a problem does anyone know? Are they still trading? Other companies are still advertising Gaslow products for sale.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Zozzer Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:21 pm

squip wrote:To follow on from the helpful info that has been given I tried to look up the Gaslow website to download their latest catalogue but was unable to connect. Do they have a problem does anyone know? Are they still trading? Other companies are still advertising Gaslow products for sale.

squip

I couldn't connect to the old gaslow.co.uk site, but it looks like they have a new website. I managed to download the catalogue.

try.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Zozzer
Zozzer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:30 pm

zozzer,
Thanks for the Gaslow link. I used a search engine to look for the site and was offered [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is the one that does not connect. strange

btw thanks for the details of your installation and the position of the filler. It looks to be a good job. I knew that there had to be a strengthening rib in the side panel somwhere.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty Gaslow fitting in a Dueto

Post by ejgaking Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:18 am

Not sure if it will help you but we fitted a Gaslow system to our Duetto a few years ago and fitted the filler nozzle inside the gas locker by adding a metal bracket inside the top corner. It has worked very well and is a great system and has allowed us to remove the smaller gas bottle which allows us to store our toolbag there instead. We can take pictures if you are interested.
ejgaking
ejgaking
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty lpg

Post by ubuntu1 Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:27 pm

There is a great alternative to Gas low now called Safefill. Search for it on Google. There is no installation required.
ubuntu1
ubuntu1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks for the info. Good news to have Gaslow, Gasit and Safefill all competing with slightly different setups. Must admit the Safefill lightweight cylinder is appealing, but I don't need that big a cylinder.

so we have at least two complete working systems available for under £150, which is heading in the right direction. I still can't justify it though, as I expect my next van to have diesel heating and a compressor fridge, so only the hob needs gas...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 am

When I fitted our GasIt set up I had doubts on cash recovery but when you fill the 11kg cylinder for £14.70 and compare with the 2 Calor Lights £42.00 for 1 to 2 litres less on the refillable you soon get convinced the £130 was worth it. Bear in mind you can take the cyls with you when you change the van
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Fitting gaslow system to symbol Empty Refillable gas

Post by murph Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:06 am

Our recent trip to Italy on hookup most of the time, (a rarity for us) showed me that there are 2 sides to the coin, forwild winter campers I would rate it almost essential to keep costs down, summer only, always on hookup motorhomers it could take several years to pay for itself.
Most people fall somewhere in between so it depends how often you have to change cylinders, and dont forget with a refillable (We only have one 6kg, you dont need a spare) you dont have to carry the cylinders or struggle to get them in the gas locker, the convenience factor. If you can run on gas at that price do you really need hookup at £2 to £5 per night, The only thing is nobody seems to have found a gas hairdryer yet.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:31 am

murph wrote: The only thing is nobody seems to have found a gas hairdryer yet. Brian2

I'm still looking for a gas microwave oven.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Paulmold wrote:
murph wrote: The only thing is nobody seems to have found a gas hairdryer yet. Brian2

I'm still looking for a gas microwave oven.

“Nice one” Lads hugegrins ……. Glad to see the “SillyGang” is still alive and kicking allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down