The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Symphony probs

+4
Paulmold
mikethebike
chrisvesey
Sonovagun
8 posters

Go down

Peugeot Symphony probs Empty Peugeot Symphony probs

Post by Sonovagun Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi. I bought a 1993 Peugeot Symphony last October and have just had a few days away to check things after winter storage. This is the first time I have used a motorhome so I am a bit of a novice in most things. I have discovered 3 issues and would welcome any advice.
Firstly there is a serious leak from the toilet flush pump area when the electric flush handle is operated. I think I am right in saying that the flush system is EITHER manual or electric because the knob does not lift up and down. Looking at where the water pipe connects to the pump just above the cassette, the fitting is tight, so I am assuming there is a fault from pump to flush container - loose connection, cracked pump or something, as the water pours into cassette storage area when flush is operated.
Secondly, the Ducatto gas warm air system keeps knocking off after about a minute. It was fine on the first night of use but a day or so later did not stay on, starting ok but knocking off.
Thirdly, and this could be related to my second issue, the five small double florescent strip lights operated on the 12v system have dimmed considerably. They barely shed any light at all and I am wondering if the leisure battery is at fault.
I would appreciate any help and advice on any or all of these issues.
Regards
Malc
Sonovagun
Sonovagun

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Talbot Symph

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Symphony probs Empty Re: Peugeot Symphony probs

Post by chrisvesey Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:12 pm

hi,
I would say that your leisure battery is discharged causing dim lights and the heater cutting out. If you prise out the toilet roll holder you can see the pump and may be able to see where the leak is coming from,
regards,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonovagun Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks Chris
This is what I think is happening. I will get batteries checked on Monday and go from there. Regarding the pump, the toilet roll holder is on the opposite wall and the pump seems enclosed in the whole toilet unit. I will have another inspection of the fittings.
Thanks for info.
Regards
Malcolm
Sonovagun
Sonovagun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:39 pm

hi,
does your van not have a lift out holder in the toilet body? its a round cover to the right of the bowl and the holder underneath is what you pull out,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:20 am

No need to wait. Start the engine and see if the lights improve.
regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 am

hi,
I'm not sure if his van has a relay which cuts out the 12 volt with the engine running,would be better to plug in on hook up to check. If the van has been in storage without leisure battery being charged it was probably flat. Any luck with the toilet leak? You can search online for dometic and find all the info on their website,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonovagun Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Van has been on hook up and lights still dim, only one main electric light OK. It has been on trickle charge and had a couple of runs over winter but I will get it checked out tomorrow. If there is a fault with flush pump I think I will change it to a manual action. It is only needed during night! I will check that website too.
Thanks again
Malcolm
Sonovagun
Sonovagun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:22 pm

hi,
if your lights are still dim on hook up it suggests a charger problem. Have a really good look around your charger for a switch which could have been knocked,
chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:25 pm

chrisvesey wrote:hi,
if your lights are still dim on hook up it suggests a charger problem. Have a really good look around your charger for a switch which could have been knocked,
chris

My thoughts exactly. You say it's been on trickle charge, do you mean by separate charger or the on-board charger?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonovagun Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:17 pm

The charger is only a small solar trickle charger connected to battery and it has had a couple of runs. I do not know how long battery has been in the van. It could be past its sell by date! I will check everything on Monday and hopefully have a better idea of problem and how to proceed.
Cheers
Malcolm
Sonovagun
Sonovagun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:56 am

Sonovagun wrote:The charger is only a small solar trickle charger connected to battery and it has had a couple of runs. I do not know how long battery has been in the van. It could be past its sell by date! I will check everything on Monday and hopefully have a better idea of problem and how to proceed.
Cheers
Malcolm
A small solar charger will not do a lot! Give the hab battery a proper charge.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonovagun Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi all.
My battery is very suspect and was causing problems. Regarding toilet flush leak, it is being seen to at a caravan/motorhome dealer because fitting has to be removed to gain access to problem area. If it is anything major I will probably have a manual flush fitted instead.
Thanks for all suggestions and help.
Regards
Malcolm
Sonovagun
Sonovagun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ganderson888 Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Malc

For your electrical problems I would check that the Battery Charger switch is turned on.
It's a down on your knees job as it's high in the cupboard under the cooker/oven alongside the trip switch and water heater switch.

Make sure it's on and hook it up for a few hours to see if it improves the lighting and water heater problems.

Not sure what advise to give on the toilet but hopefully others advice will help there too.

Regards
Graham
ganderson888
ganderson888

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Boxer Sympho

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:09 am

I have a 1994 Symphony and have similar problems with the toilet. It's a Fiamma, not a Thetford, which is why it has no toilet roll compartment, and the whole thing is completely different and a really bad design. It has a pull handle at the front for opening the blade and a big handle underneath which you slide to one side to release the cassette before you can pull it out.

Is that the same as yours Malcolm? Unfortunately I don't think you can get spares for them any more, Fiamma seem to have stopped making them ages ago - probably a good thing  rolleyes.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:20 am

ganderson888 wrote:
For your electrical problems I would check that the Battery Charger switch is turned on.
It's a down on your knees job as it's high in the cupboard under the cooker/oven alongside the trip switch and water heater switch.

Mine wasn't on our Symphony, it was under the false floor of that cupboard where the switches are.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi.  wave 

Sonovagun wrote:My battery is very suspect and was causing problems.
It’s still important to check that whatever is supposed to charge the battery is working properly. Otherwise any new battery is in danger of being over (i.e. deeply) discharged and going the same way.  fedup 
ganderson888 wrote:For your electrical problems I would check that the Battery Charger switch is turned on.
As mentioned earlier, the fact that the lights were dim on hook up suggests that the on board charger is faulty or not fitted (I believe they were an option in the early 90s). Probably the easiest way to check is to see if the lights work on hook up with the leisure battery disconnected.

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down