The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 tv socket

4 posters

Go down

12 tv socket Empty 12 tv socket

Post by The Woodys Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Humprey (being an oldish campervan) has a 'jack'(?) socket for a tv but we have been offered a 12 volt tv which has a two pin plug. Is there an adapter or something out there which I could buy to marry the two together?

Thanks for your help. smile!

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

12 tv socket Empty Re: 12 tv socket

Post by roli Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 pm

It sounds like you have a 12v DIN plug, which can handle a bit more power than a cigar lighter type. If that is the case you may be able to get and adaptor, or get the bits from a decent accessory outlet at a dealers.
Humprey doesnt look that old in the picture
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 am

We have a 2 pin 12v outlet socket in our Trident so I'm not familiar with the Din socket roli refers to, but as he said you best bet is to go into a well stocked shop that sells accessories and ask I'm sure you can get fixed up with what you require.

Another option is to buy a 12v power lead that has a cigarette lighter plug on the end, we got one on ebay that works a treat (link below)
otherwise you should be able to cut off the current plug (if its a 12v lead) & wire on a cigarette lighter plug, not sure which amp plug you would require though.

12v tv lead [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Woodys Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Thank you both. I will have another look at the tv plug and my socket and go and see what I can find. :)

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

12 tv socket Empty 12V TV Socket

Post by Jeff and Di Giblin Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi John and Julie,

Another way might be to change the existing socket for the present type, which accepts the two pin plug on your TV.
I installed several radio/CD players in caravans by doing this, and the fittings are quite cheap and available from camping shops. If you buy a socket with a surface mounted backbox, all you have to do is fix it in place and wire into the back of the socket.
There is sometimes an issue with polarity, ie getting the two wires the wrong way round, but in my experience this just stops the set working, and by reversing the wires everything comes to life. No damage can be done.
Hope this helps.

Jeff
Jeff and Di Giblin
Jeff and Di Giblin

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down