The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearbox oil change

4 posters

Go down

Gearbox oil change  Empty Gearbox oil change

Post by Plynch2002 Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:05 am

Taking a look on van there is two drain plugs on the gearbox ,which one is for diff /gearbox . Also the only filler I can see is when looking near the top of gearbox there is a Allen key bolt with like a flange on it .is this correct .does the gearbox oil do the diff as well ,are they filled from same place .thanks for help ,hopefully will be another job done in the long list .
Plynch2002
Plynch2002

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugot boxer 1996

Back to top Go down

Gearbox oil change  Empty Re: Gearbox oil change

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 am

Worth having a look at this previous thread on the subject..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Adding to the info in Paul's thread reference, on my Boxer the combined level/filling plug was not really accessible so I filled with new oil through the hole in the top after removing the electrical switch (as some others have done). Doing it this way of course you have to measure the correct amount of oil before you put it in. Gearbox and diff are all in the same housing so no separate oil change. I don't know what your second "drain plug" is - there should only be one drain plug on the gearbox/diff housing. The drain plug is at the lowest point on the housing. Hope that helps and good luck.

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Plynch2002 Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi just further to my message the two bolts I am presuming are drain plugs for the diff /gearbox look the same as the oil sump drain plug .does anyone have this Allen key type bolt near to top of gearbox and used it for filling box back up .thank you Paulmold and mikebro for your replies ,did the engine oil and filter yesterday in half an hour ,but did not realize there are different gearboxes fitted to these van with different fillers and plugs
Plynch2002
Plynch2002

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 pm

My gearbox drain plug has an 8mm female square drive not an Allen key hex. So the key required is 8mm square male. I went out to the garage to check that just now. I can't answer your question on the "Allen key type bolt near to top of gearbox" because my van is all covered up for the winter, but I know for sure that I don't have a filler on top of the box. The combined filler/level is part way up the housing at the rear and very close to a crossmember of some sort, such that it's much easier to to ignore this and fill through a hole on top of housing, accessed by temporarily removing an electrical switch which is screwed into the top of the housing. I poured the measured quantity of oil into the resulting hole via a funnel with a flexible spout.

Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Plynch2002 Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Thankyou Mikebro .will take a look next weekend as in work ,the van is used daily as transport to work .the gearbox is quite notchy ,read the link sent earlier and oil the linkage inside the van .will do oil next weekend now ,only had van 2 months and it is a project .hopefully will use it on an overnight try out shorly .
Plynch2002
Plynch2002

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 pm

mikebro wrote:..... so I filled with new oil through the hole in the top after removing the electrical switch (as some others have done)......

My preference would be not to disturb the reversing light switch. Instead I believe that the gearbox filler plug can be accessed relatively easily if the N/S wheel arch liner is first removed.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down