The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol gearbox

5 posters

Go down

Symbol gearbox Empty Symbol gearbox

Post by johnandeva Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi everyone, have a notchy gearbox, just 2 nd gear at the moment, and only when the engine has warmed up, I went to a Peugeot spares business the other day to pick up a couple of wheel bolts and when I mentioned about the gearbox he knew exactly what I was going to say, he said it was the synchromesh and if I ignored it , it would only get worse, he said he could re-build the gearbox for £500 pounds, looking at what some people have paid this seems reasonable, he said he had done loads of these Peugeot gearboxes

I am going to get him to do an oil change in the gearbox and see if that makes any improvement, if not will have to bite the bullet and get it re- built, cheers for now johnandeva
johnandeva
johnandeva

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Symbol gearbox Empty Re: Symbol gearbox

Post by woodlice Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 am

Hi,
Don't panic yet. I had the same problem, get the oil changed pronto, Mine had water in it which came from a leaking skuttle pipe which deposited water on to the top of the gearbox.

Grease the linkage and cables at the gear box end. Take the gear lever boot of and grease the cables that end. With mine it took a few weeks of camping weekends but it has improved no end, but I suspect damage has been done as it is slightly noisier in second but I can live with that.

Good luck:drinksallround
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 pm

I'll second all that - same experience and same solutions. About 30% of my gearbox oil was water. Also, if by notchy 2nd gear you mean difficult to get into 2nd gear, it's worth checking that there's not too much slack in the clutch cable (assuming your clutch is cable operated like mine). Too much slack means that even with the pedal right to the floor the clutch will not completely disengage. Not sure why this should make one gear worse than the others, but it seems it can do.

Mikebro  smile!
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Symbol gearbox Empty monsoon

Post by woodlice Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:42 am

Hi just checked mine and there's water on top of the gearbox, even though it been ok for months and I tested it with a garden hose on full bore on the windscreen and scuttle.

What appears to be happening is that there is a slight leak making the sound deadening mat wet and eventually it drips on the gearbox. Short burst of heavy rain or long periods of light rain and you would not notice. this time I going to seal around a bolt on the scuttle thats secures a bracket which holds the expansion tank.Its in the middle of the scuttle about halfway down.

In the mean time its back to plastic bags etc to cover the gearbox, which it very awkward and not very successful.

Good Luck
scratch head
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Knewt Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 am

Any chance you can share some photos of where you mean and what you're doing, I'm worried now!?

Thanks

Kevin
Knewt
Knewt

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by johnandeva Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Well, had our symbol serviced yesterday and the mechanic said there was not much oil draining out of the gearbox, and no water, no wonder it was notchy, have driven Bessie around today and it's changing gear the best it ever has done, topped it up through the hole at the top with a measured quantity of gear oil 1.85 ltrs, see how it goes down to wells tomorrow, give us a wave, johnandeva,  lets_dance
johnandeva
johnandeva

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Johnandeva,

With reference to water in gearbox I did an article on the Boxer problem a year ago. [size=15.199999809265137] [/size][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and you will find all the info you need.

Hope this helps.

Sorry about the numbers just click the link in bold

Best regards, Mike    courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down