The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Midge screens for side sliding door.

5 posters

Go down

Midge screens for side sliding door. Empty Midge screens for side sliding door.

Post by dogseal Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi to all,
Wrong season I know. Has anyone here made or fitted some midge screens for the side sliding door? I like to sit with the door open in the summer, but get bitten by everything.
Any ideas folks?

Tim.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Midge screens for side sliding door. Empty Re: Midge screens for side sliding door.

Post by Vardy Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:24 pm

I have the black net panels - came from somewhere like Netto  in little boxes at about £1 apiece. Bought cheap as I thought I would make a mess of cutting them up.

Anyway, after all sorts of messing around trying to fit them on the inside, I used the enclosed magnets and draped the nets on the outside instead. Can't remember without digging in the garage if the little weights on the hem came with the kit, or I sewed them - but easy job.

Just have to whip it in if it rains - but then I would be getting stuff in and closing the door anyway, so it's been no trouble to detach these.

You have my sympathies - they like me too. I have a healing problem and some of the big lesions have lasted up to 10 years. Do not let the little blighters win!!!!

I am presently working on a prototype net 'onesie' with mouth aperture for the beer tent.   hugegrins
Vardy
Vardy

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Midge screens for side sliding door. Empty Re: Midge screens for side sliding door.

Post by dogseal Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 pm

Cheers Vardy, A great way of keeping them out. I'm looking at some on ebay now.
I got bit badly last year on holiday in Wales & a chemist shop recomended antihistamine tablets, one per day. Works for me, I still get bit but the effects are'nt as bad. I got bit around the head & my wife said I looked like the elephant man..Great.

Pencil me in for a onesie when you get past the prototype stage!
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vardy Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Oooops!   hugegrins   Thought you said you got HIT round the head - sounds like our gaff !!!!

Just realized where you are. I never seem to see many folk on the forums from Sheffy.
Vardy
Vardy

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by dogseal Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Vardy, thanks for the input. I got some mesh Off Ebay & bought some ally curtain track from Autocraft at Stavely..I reckon it might be possible to fit the screen on the inside. If it stops me getting bit by mozzies it will be worth it.
dogseal
dogseal
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:56 am

You can buy fly screens in most of the cheap shops - probably not until midge season, though.

I got bitten very badly in Snowdonia some years ago and still have the scars. I went to the chemist and they recommended vitamin B, start taking it about 3 weeks before you go away.

I found a recipe for a repellent (Jungle Formula does nothing for me, the little blighters just stick to it) which was Dettol and baby oil - I think it was 75% baby oil and 25% Dettol. The smell doesn't last.

I've also heard midges don't like Marmite!

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:03 am

Traficlady wrote:

Nora

You don't smear the Marmite on, you eat it, as it contains the full range of vitamin B's and builds up in your blood. The midges don't like the taste!!
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:28 am

Midge screens for side sliding door. 028midgenet_zpsfb910ec9

You think you have problems!!  
We got these in Scotland a few years ago and they are essential equipment now on the West Coast of Scotland and parts of Wales.
For those of yet to venture, this was at Bedgellert in N Wales and used in conjunction with Avon Skin So Soft! - dont know what the beasties thought
they were getting the day after this was taken I was having a Blood Transfusion !!!!!
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am

Paulmold wrote:
Traficlady wrote:

Nora

You don't smear the Marmite on, you eat it, as it contains the full range of vitamin B's and builds up in your blood. The midges don't like the taste!!
 blushes Yes, Paul, I realise that, I just didn't make it clear in my post!

Nora
Traficlady

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:01 am

I guessed you knew that, just winding up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down