The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Romero Side sliding door - blind problem

3 posters

Go down

Romero Side sliding door - blind problem Empty Romero Side sliding door - blind problem

Post by drifter Wed May 08, 2013 12:36 am

I am the newest of newbies and would very much appreciate any help or advice from any of you wiser "old sages" with a problem I have.

I recently became the very proud owner of a 1997 Auto-Sleeper Romero on a Renault platform, a one owner vehicle with 17000 miles on the clock, immaculate condition previously owned by an elderly gentleman in North Wales. Mmmm, so far so good !

Upon purchasing the vehicle the first order of things was to have a full service, all filters, oil, plugs, timing belt etc. Also full underseal and wax oiled throughout, plus one new tyre for spare mounted on rear door. Incidently can any one tell me where you can buy a wheel cover for the spare wheel ? They would appear to be as hard to find as chickens teeth !

I assume that everything else was going to be in good order and indeed this was the case until I tried out the blind on the sliding door. It went up OK and locked in the closed position, however when I tried to lower the blind it only comes half way down and then seems to stick and rumples up, going no further down, it will go back up to the closed position but refused to fully lower. My question is what causes this and most importantly, what is the cure ??

As we are shortly to go off on our first "jollies" in her with our little dog, the reason for buying a motor home, "er indoors" is far from happy with me at the moment so any help or advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated !
Incidently, I know I have not formally introduced my self to everyone but went on "newbies" page and do you think I could see how to post on there? Could I heck, so advice on that would also be much appreciated !

Regards to everyone, be patient with me, I will master this contraption they call a computer I promise !!

drifter
drifter

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Romero

Back to top Go down

Romero Side sliding door - blind problem Empty Re: Romero Side sliding door - blind problem

Post by boxerman Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Drifter,
Spare wheel cover - used to be a popular accessory but now, as you say hard to find. If it's to protect the tyre from UV,try VW accessory outlets, you may be able to get a plain one. If it's just to look attractive, fit a cheap wheel trim in the well.

As for the blind, I'm afraid "they all do that sir" particularly if there is a bit of damp in the air. You can dismantle it and tighten the spring but it can be a lot of fiddling. Disconnecting the blind and flyscreen helps, but not much, you just have to be patient and let it go down in it's own time.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Romero Side sliding door - blind problem Empty Re: Romero Side sliding door - blind problem

Post by peugeotboxer Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

drifter wrote: Incidently can any one tell me where you can buy a wheel cover for the spare wheel ?

A few on ebay similar to this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Romero Side sliding door - blind problem Empty Faulty blind cured now!!

Post by drifter Fri May 10, 2013 5:58 am

I am now happy to say that my faulty blind problem is now cured! Was speaking with my garage friends and one of them used to deliver motor launches to South of France, Spain etc , many years ago. (yea, what a job eh?)

Anyway he said that they used to get the same problems on some boats after they were only just perhaps 12months old. Makes sense really. boats, constantly damp etc etc. He said the cure was really simple, an aerosol of furniture polish, spray all over the back of the blind and plenty in the runners, channel the blind slides up and down in.

Then slide blind up and down until resistance is encountered (point at which it sticks) , gradually the point of resistance gets further and further down the travel of the blind, eventually blind will go all the way down.

Nothing ventured nothing gained thought I, so I`ll give it a go. Well chaps, the good news is that it worked ! The blind is now flying up and down like a brides nightie !

Am now pre-empting similar problems with the other blinds and intend to blather them all with furniture polish spray, plush side it don`t half smell nice in there !!
drifter
drifter

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks! up! I must try that when we get home, I'm sitting here on a campsite in the Brecons with the blind stuck halfway down.

Frank

Last edited by boxerman on Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lost half me message ?)
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Romero Side sliding door - blind problem Empty Sticking blinds cured

Post by drifter Fri May 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Why don`t you deny yourself that daily 99 cone and pop into the supermarket and get an aerosol of polish and have a go as you sit in the van watching the rain beating down on the Welsh country side (there`s lovely look you !)

If you`re in Wales it has to be raining !

Let me know if you have any luck with it !

Cheers ,

Drifter (Mick).
drifter
drifter

Male

Back to top Go down