The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer)

3 posters

Go down

Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer) Empty Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer)

Post by RichardB Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi all

In the picture below, you can see a wire disappearing between the front windows and the top of the dashboard at the passenger side. (Boxer 1999)

The wire is the LED (or was the LED) for my alarm and I need to remove and replace it.

Does anyone know how I get the top of the dash off or how I can access the wire?

Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer) Uu4g

Thanks
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer) Empty Re: Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer)

Post by modelman Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to remove the dash-top just for that, I removed the radio & other 'front' bits that are screwed around that area, peered through, pulled/pushed the wires, & managed to see it moving about back there, then with a length of stiff, pvc covered 'garden' wire, made a hook on the end & captured it & pulled it through.
If you are going to replace the wire, simply tape the new to the old & pull it back through.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer) Empty Re: Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer)

Post by RichardB Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:36 pm

modelman wrote:If you are going to replace the wire, simply tape the new to the old & pull it back through.
Thanks - now fixed - opted to stick it together and pull through - the theory was ok but in practice the tape managed to snag on something and the wires came apart!    Had to fish around up and at the back of the glove box but managed to grab it and pull though - another job sorted!

Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 pm

RichardB wrote:Does anyone know how I get the top of the dash off or how I can access the wire?

Removing top of dashboard (1999 Boxer) Uu4g

Thanks
Richard
Richard, accepting your issue is resolved, your question about removing the top of the dash remains unanswered. One thing you have to do is lever out the grill shown in your photograph, and the two others either side. This allows access to three nuts along to leading edge of the dash. However there are many other complications associated with removing the dashboard and as others have suggested, it is one job best avoided if at all possible.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down