The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side wall cracking in Tyres

+16
jt2011
Stationerystill
mikethebike
Peter Brown
TeamRienza
mikebro
Flying High
modelman
boxerman
Bartfarst
Molly Motorhome
Geoff Sleath
CC
Dutto
Paulmold
TONYS49
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Side wall cracking in Tyres - Page 2 Empty Re: Side wall cracking in Tyres

Post by jt2011 Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Its no coincidence that certain Tyre Sale Businesses are telling people that they need new tyres after 5 years,

I Think some employees are using this tactic to earn more commissions regardless of tyre condition. I personally think this is out of order when the tyres are fine and don't need changing.

The oldest tyres I came across on a motorhome were on a 1993 Talbot Sportsman with 18,000 miles back in 2008 making them 15 years old as it was still on the original tyres. I think they were Michelin trx, it was like driving on 50 pence pieces as they had lost their shape. Needless to say, four new tyres were fitted next day.

Another point to consider is how long a tyre is in storage after manufacture. I recently found a 5 year old tyre that had been in dry storage away from sunlight, it was 100% as good as a 2013 tyre so in my opinion that tyre would last at least 5 years on a vehicle making it 10 years old.

It seems that vehicles with low mileages that are parked up for long periods seem to suffer perishing more than vehicles used more regularly.
jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : trooper
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi there,

Didn't realise that Metal Sleeved Valves even existed and hope that they are not all as "flash" as these!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looking at them I can't see how or why they would "give more problems than rubber valves" so, before I get a set, does anyone know how or why they fail?

Incidentally, I change out the valves EVERY time I change the tyres.  They cost very little when compared to a tyre and if a valve lets me down it's almost certain that by the time I have rolled to a stop the sidewalls will be so badly damaged that I will need a new tyre!

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Stationerystill Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:34 pm

In reply to Mike the bike.
I checked the tyre pressure before leaving home, I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway when it happened. It is unlikely the tyre hit anything as the caravan was the same width as the car and following its tracks. What was left of the tyre had no stones or nails in it.
I changed the other tyre and spare as well because they were all the same age.It may be that cracked side walls are o.k. but I will never take the chance in future.
regards
Stationerystill
Stationerystill

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot 1.98 hdi 200

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:41 am

There is a much older post on the forum with the details but a close friend of mine suffered a 360 deg spin in the middle lane of the M1 during rush hour in his Pescara. With strong motivation he researched the many offerings suggested to mitigate blow outs - his conclusion was to fit a notice to his dash with a date of 5 years after fitting when he would replace his tyres.

Ian

The only problem I have heard with metal valves is of corrosion at the meeting of the valve with alloy wheels caused by reaction between the two metals. It is not common. I have alloys and metal valves with no problem.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:55 am

Peter Brown wrote:………..

Ian

The only problem I have heard with metal valves is of corrosion at the meeting of the valve with alloy wheels caused by reaction between the two metals.  It is not common.  I have alloys and metal valves with no problem.

Peter
Peter,

Many thanks, I can live with that as a "problem".  Looking at the valves there must have been a manufacturing fault to allow such metal-to-metal contact and that can be eliminated by examination before fitting.

I will be due to change tyres sometime around June so I will change over to metal valves then.

The current tyres have already done +/-30,000 miles and are still well within legal limits but by June they will be in the 38,000 - 40,000 miles bracket, three years old and about due for a change.

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi Ian, As you know corrosion can occur between dissimilar metals when moisture is present. Its like a weak battery.
As to your tyre change coming up, i ,would suggest,as you do winter motoring,  getting the newer type cold weather tyres. Have seen the film of a car with these on ,its outstanding in the wet.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi Stationerystill,
                         Thanks for your reply. Reading these threads it seems possible that valve failure could be another cause of blowouts.
I still feel strongly that low tyre pressure,under-inflation, will be the greatest cause of tyre troubles.
I know its a pain but we should all be checking tyres for damage and correct pressure very frequently.
How often i am not sure,maybe weekly or before a long trip at least.

regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:19 pm

mikethebike wrote:Hi Stationerystill,
                         Thanks for your reply. Reading these threads it seems possible that valve failure could be another cause of blowouts.
I still feel strongly that low tyre pressure,under-inflation, will be the greatest cause of tyre troubles.
I know its a pain but we should all be checking tyres for damage and correct pressure very frequently.
How often i am not sure,maybe weekly or before a long trip at least.

regards

mike
Mike,

For me it's once a fortnight and EVERY time before a long run!

For the uninitiated, the tyres MUST be cold when you are checking pressures!!

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

PS  Any recommendations for the other tyres?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:06 am

Bartfarst wrote:Sorry to raise an old topic but having been sceptical regarding the possibility of aged tyre failure, last week I glanced-over at our particularly static Harmony, complete with slightly crazed side walls, to see the front offside tyre, which sees the most sun, nearly flat. Fearing a side wall failure I put some air back in it (whilst not in line of fire if it went bang, I must add!) then I doused it in suds to determine the point of leakage or failure. Was it the sidewall or tread? I'm afraid not. Instead the rubber valve stem had failed at its root.

More food for thought!

Bartfarst

...and last week, the valve stem on the other side failed in exactly the same manner! It would appear that the stems fitted at the time that the pair of tyres were fitted have a finite and, in my view, inadequate life.

The tyres are still holding-up fine though......

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:23 am

Hi ,Yes they are a weak point. Need changing every tyre change.Not sure of the quality of the valves used today. confused3 
It cannot be stated too often to check your tyre pressures frequently.
Underinflated tyres are very common and i expect they are the greatest reason for tyre failure.
Some alloy wheels leak air ,so another reason to check.
I waved down two owners last year driving with an underinflated tyre.

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:51 am

mikethebike wrote:…………….

Some alloy wheels leak air ,so another reason to check.
……………...
Mike
Mike,

As per my front offside tyre!!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

I will mark it before I change tyres (just to make sure that it's the wheel and not the tyre) but it's been a real pain having to check and inflate the damn thing every two weeks (and before all long runs) for the last three years!!  tap_fingers  tap_fingers 

The good news is that the Continental Vanco 2 tyres have done 35,000 miles and "Petal" just sailed through her MoT!  allthumbz 

Best regards,
  best_friends 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Annevan Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I've just bought 2 new tyres today because of cracking sides, both on the sunny side of the van. Was told they might be ok for another while , the thread is still good, but it's not worth chancing a blow out. My mechanic made a home visit yesterday as I couldnt start the van, back brakes had badly stuck and some belt in the engine ?? scratch head  is slipping a bit toobut ok . The mechanic said all these problems are mostly due to having it parked up unused so much. I usually take the car cause its cheaper to run but.... I've decided to use Charlie more often, the van that is, not the mechanic,and go for a spin and cuppa at least once a week in winter too. Its a tough life, but I'll soldier on.  content
Annevan
Annevan

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi ,As you are finding out all mechanical things are better used.A longer trip is best to get the oil up to Temperature.You dont have to go every week. up! 

regards

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi there,

I am of the opinion that it is much better to wear something out than have it rot away due to lack of use!

We lived on a boat on the canals of Belgium, Holland, Germany and France for about eight years and it was always so sad to see what was once someone's pride and joy abandoned and rotting away at the side of the canal.

"Heed the gypsy warning." as they say and get "Charlie" out for a ten or fifteen mile run at least once a month.

After owning "Petal" for three years and driving her over 35,000 miles I can still just sit inside and grin like an idiot at the pleasure of owning her!  allthumbz

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Dutto...thanks for recommending the wheel protectors from Towsure (way back when) We have ordered a couple, as our last motorhome suffered from a southern aspect... though we plan to use the Legend a lot more than we used the last big beastie!
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Otto Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 pm

I recently had a tyre failure which turned out to be the valve (rubber) deteriorating, the result is the same except that the repair is cheaper, my local tyre dealer checked out my tyres and didn't advise replacing the offending one (nice change)
Otto
Otto

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by pjkxpjkx Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 pm

I got this VOSA recall from Auto-Sleeper Owners Club.  Hope that is OK...

14th April 2010:-
    Vehicle involved: Nuevo; Nuevo TB; Nuevo ES; Nuevo EL; Nuevo Classic; Broadway EK; Broadway EL; Sigma EK; Sigma EL; Berkshire; Executive; Warwick; Warwick EL; Warwick DUO; Symbol; Symbol ES; Symbol ST & Zeta.

Description: Rubber valves with a maximum design pressure of 70psi have been fitted to alloy wheels fitted with tyres that have a maximum rated pressure of 80psi.
The consequences of not changing the valves to a metal bolt-in type may result in failure of the rubber valve if a tyre pressure over 70psi is used.
This will result in very rapid pressure loss in the tyre.

Action: Replace the rubber valve with a metal bolt in type.

Build numbers concerned:
 J2370; J2577; J2589; J2614; J2620; J2621; J2641; J2662; J2666; J2669; J2688; J2716; J2742; J2769; J2770; J2771; J2826; J2827; J2828; J2840; J2856; J2865; J2935; J2936; K1096; K1143; K1145; K1212; K1226; K1242; K1251; K1253; K1255; K1261; K1262; K1320; K1396; K1397; N1118; N1120; P2532; P2670; P2710; P2729; P3198; P3206; P3280; P3281; P3317; P3347; P3360; P3361; P3385; P3387; P3396; P3403; P3453; P3466; P3477; P3478; P3480; P3499; P3500; P3502; P3513; P3564; P3566; P3580; P3584; P3606; P3620; P3641; P3648; P3655; P3656; P3658; P3705; P3707 & P3852

If in any doubt, or for further instructions, contact your dealer or the Auto-Sleeper Service Centre on 01386 - 853511
    VOSA reference: RSVP/ 2010/??? - yet to be advised

Pete
pjkxpjkx
pjkxpjkx

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2