The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats

3 posters

Go down

Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats  Empty Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats

Post by Flying High Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 am

Hi folks,
is there any way that you can fit belts to the side seat on my van as it would be nice to take more than three people out on day trips or when on site.
Van info, Symbol year 2000

Thanks in advance, not even sure it is legal?

Best regards Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats  Empty Re: Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am

This has been discussed many times. Legally you do not have to fit belts to side-facing seats, in fact it is considered more dangerous through internal injuries in the event of an accident than no belt at all. It does depend on the age of your vehicle, after a certain year, you can only carry the number of people for which belts are fitted. Before that year, it's up to you.

Suggest you read this thread..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats  Empty Re: Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats

Post by Flying High Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Paulmold wrote:This has been discussed many times. Legally you do not have to fit belts to side-facing seats, in fact it is considered more dangerous through internal injuries in the event of an accident than no belt at all. It does depend on the age of your vehicle, after a certain year, you can only carry the number of people for which belts are fitted. Before that year, it's up to you.

Suggest you read this thread..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks for the info Paul, I did a search but not in the way you put it.
Anyway after reading all the information I am no wiser to the original question, so to me the answer is NO.

Thanks for commenting and giving me the link anyway.

Best Regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Side lap or 3 point belts for side seats  Empty side lap or three point belts

Post by algy Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Mike,I asked the same question in an earlier post,on our Clubman there are side lap belts fitted,I think the main answer lies in A the police would an ambitious young bobby give you a ticket because your passenger wasnt wearing albeit the lap belt fitted.Then there is B the insurance company if you have an accident and your passenger isnt secured would they pay ha ha I hear you say not a chance.We have decided that when carrying our grandaughter (5 years old)she has to be in a child chair and must be forward facing,so on that occasion Jayne sits on a side seat with a lap belt on,then at least everyone is happy...cheers..Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down