The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL Kitchen Side Wall/Panel

4 posters

Go down

Warwick XL Kitchen Side Wall/Panel Empty Warwick XL Kitchen Side Wall/Panel

Post by DeeBee Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When we picked up our Warwick XL from SMC Newark the kitchen top was scratched. After a lot of chasing they finally fulfilled their promise and had it done under warranty. Fast forward to this week and I noticed the sealant was coming away… when i gently press on the side wall where the plug sockets are the whole wall flexes and comes away. 

Im assuming they didnt connect the outer panel to the new worktop correctly? I’m away so dont want to start mucking around with. The inner panel is screwed securely to the outer panel so im assuming its that outer panel that is the issue? Anyone had any experience with this or know how it should be secured? The kitchen top is solid and no movement it appears to just be that panel towards the base. 

If its fairly straight forward i would rather do it myself or get someone local to do it, my dealings with SMC so far haven’t been the best and I don’t particularly want to have to go back to them again.
DeeBee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Mel C likes this post

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL Kitchen Side Wall/Panel Empty Re: Warwick XL Kitchen Side Wall/Panel

Post by Rocky Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:16 am

Not good, is it?  I would have thought that - in addition to bonding - there would be a Hafele cam/screw arrangement joining the two, with either a plastic wood-effect patch or plastic cover over it, or an angled screw holder with matching plastic cap.

Can you get underneath to put screws up into the vertical panel?
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:20 am

Hi this is a similar problem with my XL while travelling there is a noise coming from the same side panel. It appears to be above the fridge and below the Microwave it is a banging really load dull thump my first thought was the side panel and the worktop vibrating on each other. Let us know what you find please. I have had the fridge vents off but cant see anything i think the only way to access it is to pull the fridge out. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:42 pm

Rocky wrote:Not good, is it?  I would have thought that - in addition to bonding - there would be a Hafele cam/screw arrangement joining the two, with either a plastic wood-effect patch or plastic cover over it, or an angled screw holder with matching plastic cap.

Can you get underneath to put screws up into the vertical panel?

Its actually 2 panels screwed together so i worry about splitting one of them doing that. Needs a bracket ideally to hold it to the work top. I’m having it hab checked next week anyway by an independent and I will pick their brains to see if they have any ideas. 

If not I’ll phone autosleeper directly and complain and see what they say, the warranty work was obviously not carried out correctly.
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:44 pm

kevjan wrote:Hi this is a similar problem with my XL while travelling there is a noise coming from the same side panel. It appears to be  above the fridge and below the Microwave it is a banging really load dull thump my first thought was the side panel and the worktop vibrating on each other. Let us know what you find please. I have had the fridge vents off but cant see anything i think the only way to access it is to pull the fridge out. Kevin

Will do Kev, I did wonder about accessing it via the outside vents but i dont want to start meddling with it whilst away!
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:01 pm

Update since I didn’t get much feedback - looks like when SMC Newark replaced the kitchen top they failed to put any bonding to hold the panel to the new worktop. 

Investigating it, there are no holding screws as its not a load bearing wall, its just a cosmetic panel - the worktop is secured and the area above with the microwave shelf being connected separately. 

Looking at the options, you can actually access the edge via the top fridge vent but it would be trial and error trying to secure a bracket so as Kev said the only real option with that would be to remove the fridge. 

In the end, i cleaned off the sealant and with some help pushed the wall back and rebonded it using some heavy duty bonding agent. I then got some black silicon sealant strip and we ran more bonding agent on the gap of the strip. 

I have left it a good few days and tidied up the edging this morning with a small knife. The wall seems super solid now, obviously not going to give it a ton of pressure but from what I can see this has done the trick.
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:04 pm

Couple of finished pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DeeBee

Male

Davidh, Kdc and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:08 pm

Looks like you have done a very neat job there.  Hope it remains solid and gives you no more problems.  As you say, it's not a wall to put any pressure or weight on, but would be interested to know how it stands up to vehicle movement after you have done a long journey or two.     think_smiley_46
Rocky
Rocky

Male

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:32 pm

That look's a nice neat job, as already said will have to see how it hold's up on a long journey. Mine is still due into dealer for him to try to sort it out. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:38 pm

Rocky wrote:Looks like you have done a very neat job there.  Hope it remains solid and gives you no more problems.  As you say, it's not a wall to put any pressure or weight on, but would be interested to know how it stands up to vehicle movement after you have done a long journey or two.     think_smiley_46

Hi DeeBee,

Has your repair been thoroughly road tested?  Would be good to know if it has held up well.

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by iandsm Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:02 pm

I notice that this pannel on my WXL sits over the worktop. It does flex if pushed and in the past has squeaked. However I have cured that by the application of a little dry lubicant as one would use on door locks. I havn't had, or heard, any problems since. I have not used any sealant between the surfaces since they are  close fit and I am reluctant to fix the together and I wonder if they were never intended to be fixed so as to allow for any flexing when on the move.
iandsm
iandsm

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Auto-Sleepers
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:14 pm

Rocky wrote:

Hi DeeBee,

Has your repair been thoroughly road tested?  Would be good to know if it has held up well.

Regards,

Hey Rocky, yep! Holding up well so far. Done about 1,000 miles or so since the fix - up to Scotland and
some bumpy roads around the Lakes more recently!
DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:17 pm

iandsm wrote:I notice that this pannel on my WXL sits over the worktop. It does flex if pushed and in the past has squeaked. However I have cured that by the application of a little dry lubicant as one would use on door locks. I havn't had, or heard, any problems since. I have not used any sealant between the surfaces since they are  close fit and I am reluctant to fix the together and I wonder if they were never intended to be fixed so as to allow for any flexing when on the move.

Understand your concern but from factory and after the top replacement it was sealed along the join so I would assume it wasnt intended to move - since mine did and split all the sealant.
DeeBee

Male

iandsm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:27 pm

Hey Rocky, yep! Holding up well so far. Done about 1,000 miles or so since the fix - up to Scotland and
some bumpy roads around the Lakes more recently!

Good to hear.  Looks like you did a good job.

I was interested in following up because have had problems with our MH with water ingress, and dealer is replacing it with WXL.  We are happy, nothing else available and we didn't want to wait.

Happy motoring!

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:33 am

Well I’m bias but love the WXL layout, works perfectly for us! Only thing that bugged me aside from the few niggles is the bathroom door (solved with some strong magnets) and the water pipes under the sink being push fit only (though thats an AS wide issue along with a number of other manufacturers!).

DeeBee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:12 am

Yes, we used to have a Warwick Duo, and we liked the layout then.  The driving position is going to take a little getting used to, as I'm 6' 1".

What was the problem with the bathroom door, and did you get to the sink waste pipes to fix them?

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:22 am

Hi all, the sink waste problem has been fixed twice on our XL once with previous owner then for me by dealer i purchased from both times it was taken apart and they applied glue to hopefully stop it pulling apart. i was told it was my fault for putting large items in the draw that lift the pipe when the draw is closed. Fortunately i have not had a problem with bathroom door but probably will what do i need to look for. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Back to top Go down